Gossips Wine Bar - Eyre Street - Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

Gossips Bar Sheffield.jpg

Gossips Wine bar Sheffield.jpg

GOSSIPS WINE BAR, EYRE STREET, SHEFFIELD

post-1-1171794721.jpg

10 Eyre Street Sheffield S1 4QY

Gossips bar was on the corner and spotted easily as you went round the roundabout !

INFORMATION

Gossips was a late night bar open 7 nights a week (closed during the daytime). It was unique in that it was one of the only pubs/bars that stayed open until 1am, thanks to the bar serving free chilli and rice to the customers thus somehow bypassing some laws and classing it perhaps as a restaurant ?

Gossips had 2 owners at the same time, Joe and another chap (with glasses)

Manager - Joe

Dj's - Craig Justice (who went on to Roxy's), then Neil James (who went on to Legends then Cairo Jax), then a lad called Darren took over.

THE LAYOUT

Straight rectangular layout with the bar the full length of the place down the left hand side as you walked in (kitchen behind it too)

There was also a lower ground bit right at the end and if you sat down there you could have quiet time with a lady whilst looking up at the DJ's bum.

When did this place bite the dust? I never managed to visit it...I am attempting to visit every pub/bar in Sheff and my sidekick went in this one about ten years ago

I'm sure it has been wiped out and demolished now..

Not sure when it closed - one minute it was there - the next..

I'm sure someone will be able to answer this one better than I

Guest billyblade

Used to love this place on a Sunday night, used to get all the same crowd in every week.I went in with my drinking buddies between 1994 and 1996. Went in Berlins first for some cheap Lamot(Bleurgh!) and then into Gossips about 10 pm to ensure getting in before they locked the doors. Happy times.Remember at first there used to be Karaoke on in there.Met my wife in there.Just got married after 11 and a half years together!!!

Songs from the time:-

"Warren G and Nate Dogg - Regulate"

"Shine - Aswad"

"No-no-no - Dawn Penn"

"Supersonic - Oasis"

Anybody any other memories?

Guest coffee cup

The girl friend of a friend of my x boy friends used to work there a couple of evenings a week, I remember going there early in there evening, well before my son was born and he has just turned 16, so it must have been around 1990ish.

Gossips closed then it opened up as Metz bar, think that was 2000/2001. Went in a few times but it was pretty crap!

Wasn't it Gossips that were the first to "introduce" lunch time strippers? This would be around the late 1970s.

I think it was the Hofenbrau House next door which became berlins

Guest judy

I WOULD LOVE TO MAKE CONTACT WITH BIG JOE. HE WAS A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF MY PARTNER DAVE.

I BELIEVE HE IS STILL LIVING IN SHEFFIELD BUT WE HAVE LOST TOUCH. I WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF ANY ONE HAS ANY INFORMATION OF HIS WHEREABOUTS.