The Sheffield Flood

mickjj

Went to Peter Machan's excellent talk on the Flood last night. Talking of compensation claims, I liked the one from the ratcatcher who claimed for loss of earnings on account of the rats had been drowned!

I understand Dan Snow was in Sheffield recently and there's some connection with a planned programme about the flood.

Not a programme apparently, he's going to do a piece on the One Show (don't know the date, but perhaps on the actual anniversary?)

Not a programme apparently, he's going to do a piece on the One Show (don't know the date, but perhaps on the actual anniversary?)

Won't be much detail then, I suppose, if he's going to be squeezed in amongst a load of banal junk.

We live in hope. (or is it Edale.)

According to Peter Machan in his excellent talk, Trickett's farm stood roughly where the filling station near the bottom of Stannington Road stood. That being so, in the second more distant view above, there's an intact wheel to the left. Can anyone work out which one this was?

I can't think where there is / was a filling station at the bottom of Stannington Road although there is

a used car sales garage. But there's the well known wheel there at the bottom with the junction

of Malin Bridge/ Holme Lane.

The building above the wheel has now been turned into flats.

Could it be

According to Peter Machan in his excellent talk, Trickett's farm stood roughly where the filling station near the bottom of Stannington Road stood. That being so, in the second more distant view above, there's an intact wheel to the left. Can anyone work out which one this was?

Could it be the Grogram Wheel, the bottom wheel on the Rivelin?
Dams, Wheels and Mills on the Rivelin

Yes vox, that's the car sales garage I had in mind. Do you know what era it was a filling station?

I know I'm going off the subject a bit but I just can't recall it.

According to someone on Facebook, the piece on the Flood by Dan Snow is on the One Show tonight.

Just seen a trailer for the programme billed as a Flood special - about the current floods, I wonder if the poster has misunderstood?

The March issue of Family Tree magazine has an article on the flood including some new research into victims that were not officially recognised at the time.

I wonder is this new research or Karen Lightowler's work re-hashed. Search for Karen's stuff on Lulu; pick up some useful articles, all well researched, for peanuts.

The March issue of Family Tree magazine has an article on the flood including some new research into victims that were not officially recognised at the time.