Charlie Peace

mickjj

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 19.31.27.jpg

CHARLIE PEACE - SHEFFIELD'S MOST NOTORIOUS CRIMINAL

I remember learning about Charles Peace at school. Sheffield's most notorious criminal by far, and has gone down in Sheffield folklore.
This thread will look at the life and crimes of Charles (Charlie) Peace.

Guest tsavo

One thing not mentioned in the account is that Charlie Peace was a skilled clock repairer and repaired several for the Vicar of Darnall. The Times of London stated, "The trial starts on Tuesday, the execution on Saturday." Sounds weird but true.

Guest bangtidy

tsavo it did say he was a clock repairer i read it just now and i recall it saying he repaired clocks,

would love to know if he had a hideout ive heard about near rivelin dams??

is this true anyone??

cheers

tsavo it did say he was a clock repairer i read it just now and i recall it saying he repaired clocks,

would love to know if he had a hideout ive heard about near rivelin dams??

is this true anyone??

cheers

Hi bangtidy Just found this interesting site about Charie Peace sorry nothing about Rivelin Dams but very good reading worth a look.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/gangsters_outl...eace/index.html

Newspaper snippet, Burglaries at Blackheath

The Burglaries at Blackheath-

At Sheffield Town Hall, yesterday,Hannah Peace, wife of Charles Peace,

now awaiting his trial for the burglaries at Blackheath and elswhere, was brought up, on remand,

charged with having recieved the stolen property obtained by Peace.

It had been ascertained that the prisoner visited her husband in London about the time when the burglaries were commited,

and returned to Sheffield with two boxes filled with their proceeds.

The goods were found hidden in her house at Darnall by Inspector Phillips, of the Criminal Investigation Department.

The Chief Constable of Sheffield, in applying for a further remand yesterday, stated that property derived from no less than

six burglaries had been identified, and that house-holders in the Greenwich district were daily owning the articles removed

from Sheffield by the police as part of the property obtained by Peace's burglaries.

The prisoner was remanded for a week, and in all probability will be tried in London.

Yesterday Inspector Phillips searched the houses of relatives of Peace who live in Brightside.

There he found a large assortment of property, including costly sealskin jackets, silk dresses,

silk jackets trimmed with fur and lace, slippers, silk stockings, and other valuable goods.

They were all taken possession of, as they are believed to be the proceeds of burglaries and robberies committed by Peace.

Guest rjh2464

I have a photo of my great grandmother and Charles Peace.When i was a child my gran told me it was the same Charles Peace who was hung for murder.Ive tried to upload the photo but keep failing.Can someone tell me how its done?

I have a photo of my great grandmother and Charles Peace.When i was a child my gran told me it was the same Charles Peace who was hung for murder.Ive tried to upload the photo but keep failing.Can someone tell me how its done?

Hi rjh and welcome to the forum!

To upload your photo, go to the bottom of the replying screen, and click on Browse. Browse on your pc to the photo, then double click the filename. The path should appear in the box next to Browse.

Then click on the Upload button. You'll get a loading message. Once this has finished click the pulldown on 'Manage Current Attachments'. You'll get a row of icons. Make sure your cursor on the input screen is where you want to insert your picture, then click the left hand icon. Your photo should appear as a filename where the cursor is. When you preview your posting it should appear as a thumbnail

You can check by previewing your post and clicking on the thumbnail. The photo will open in a new window.

When you're happy with it click Add reply and hey presto!

And thanks for posting!

Bayleaf

One thing not mentioned in the account is that Charlie Peace was a skilled clock repairer and repaired several for the Vicar of Darnall. The Times of London stated, "The trial starts on Tuesday, the execution on Saturday." Sounds weird but true.

In Peter Harvey's a 3rd helping of Sheffield he retells a story that Peace once worked at the vicarage but was sacked by the vicar for stealing a clock!

Guest bangtidy

Nice find Bangtidy !

Does anyone know the Officers name please ?

PC Edward Robinson was patrolling Blackheath when he noticed a flickering light in the rooms of 2 St John's Park. He called for assistance, and then, after Peace had jumped out of a window, chased him across the garden. Despite being shot at five times and wounded, PC Robinson gallantly held on to Peace, and, with the assistance of other officers, Peace was finally taken into custody.

PC Edward Robinson was patrolling Blackheath when he noticed a flickering light in the rooms of 2 St John's Park. He called for assistance, and then, after Peace had jumped out of a window, chased him across the garden. Despite being shot at five times and wounded, PC Robinson gallantly held on to Peace, and, with the assistance of other officers, Peace was finally taken into custody.

Something of a celebrity in his day, I would think.

Thanks.

Listened to a Sherlock Holmes Story "The Illustrious Client" on i-player earlier and was surprised to hear the immortal line "“A complex mind. All great criminals have that. My old friend Charlie Peace was a violin virtuoso.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk...strious_Client/

http://www.sherlockp...arliePeace.html

Can't be many Sheffielder's famous or otherwise who made it into one of Conan Doyle's work - but he did work as a doctor in Burngreave for a while! :)

Some of my charges

Charles Peace quotation :

"If a minister really believed in his work it would pay him not merely to go to a Sabbath day's journey to preach, but to go there on his hands and knees on broken bottles."

Charles Peace, shrewdest, most dangerous and notorious criminal in the annals of Crime in Great Britain. Peace broke jail a number of times but failed to escape from this cell in Sheffield. He was hanged at the Armley jail. Houdini escaped from this cell, as Chief Constable Scott's certificate on page 12 shows.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://bookdome.com/biography/Adventurous-Life-Houdini/images/Charles-Peace.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bookdome.com/biography/Adventurous-Life-Houdini/Official-Police-News-From-Germany-Continued.html&usg=__g37378-olqfitHnVGa20wqPzxm0=&h=596&w=401&sz=31&hl=en&start=12&zoom=1&tbnid=ZRluNV7_UogGWM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=91&ei=TG4ATvaTJ8ui-gbIvNDoDQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522charles%2Bpeace%2522%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1