Owlerton Stadium Area

Sheffield History

There is one, yes.

You follow Livesey Street round the back of the stadium, until you get to the scrapyard (and the lane goes off to the right towards the Farfield Inn, but you don't follow it round there).

There is a footpath up the hill right in front of you, follow that and the graveyard is just up there - I remember going there as a kid and getting freaked out by it!!

It is hidden by trees on Google Earth/Flash Earth, so follow it round to get to:

Latitude: 53, 24, 31.1 N

Longitude: 1, 29, 22.6 W

(ish)

Two years ago I visited Wardsend Cemetary, down the back of the Owlerton track, keep going, over the bridge with lots and lots of traffic lights on it, stand in the mud by the scrapyard - now I stood there for 20 minutes - eventually you will come to realise that you are probably only 30 feet away from the nearest gravestone.

Form a group if you're local, go visit, my sister and I had a great time there. Wouldn't suggest going there alone, not cuz it's particularly dangerous or anything, it's just an easy place to trip and fall. Take along a change of clothes, especially if it's wet.

My sister and me visited in February, it was cold, it was wet. She slid on her backside halfway down the hill, we both fell over and indeed into the graves. We had a marvelous time, then we visited my elderly Uncle - me with one trouser leg rolled up so the mud didn't get all over the car and my sister wearing a bin-liner like a skirt. "I could have told you that you wouldn't find any graves left there" my Uncle said,

"We've had a great time Uncle" I replied, "and as we limped and hobbled and dripped our way back to the car I could have sworn I heard two people laughing, one an old man and one a very young child"

It's a spooky place - that's for sure

I love it there though - and the walk up the hill gives you some amazing views of Sheffield

PICTURE 1, IS FOX ROAD LEADING INTO WHITEHOUSE LANE AT ITS JUNCTION WITH WOOD STREET. THIS IS WHAT YOU SEE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE HILL. OF COURSE THE ESTATE BETWEEN FOX ROAD AND HAROLD STREET HAS CHANGED DRAMATICALLY FROM THOSE DAYS .AND WHERE THE SECOND CAR IS I USED TO WAIT FOR MY STAFF BUS AT 03.45am AND WAS ONCE PROPOSED TO BY A LADY OF THE NIGHT.NO KIDDING.

PICTURE 5, COULD WELL BE HAROLD STREET WHICH HAS CHANGED SINCE THEN. IT LOOKS LIKE THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN FROM WHAT IS NOW RUSKIN PARK, JUST BELOW WHERE SOME OF FULL MONTY WAS FILMED.

PICTURE 6, LOOKS AS THOUGH IT WAS TAKEN FROM MY BEDROOM WINDOW OF THE HOUSE I LEFT TO COME DOWN HERE. No 35 OTLEY WALK. ALTHOUGH THE ROAD YOU LOOK DOWN HAS GONE(POSSIBLY OTLEY STREET) THERE SEEMS NO MISTAKING BURGOYNE ROAD AT THE BOTTOM AND EITHER HAWKSWORTH ROAD OR TENNYSON ROAD LEADING UP TO WHITEHOUSE LANE AT THE TOP.

PICTURE 8. UPPERTHORPE SCHOOL AT THE TOP OF THE PICTURE. ONCE AGAIN THE ROAD AS GONE BUT IF YOU GO UP DANIEL HILL STREET I DO BELIEVE YOU CAN SEE THE ENTRANCE YOU SEE IN THE PICTURE. THE SCHOOL HAS RECENTLY BEEN MADE INTO FLATS/APPARTMENTS BUT I UNDERSTAND IT WAS A LISTED BUILDING.

A GUIDED TOUR WOULD BE FOR YOU TO GO THROUGH UPPERTHORPE UP DANIEL HILL AND KEEP ON THE MAIN ROAD HAS YOU GO OVER THE HILL WHERE THE KELVIN FLATS WERE ON THE RIGHT.

AS YOU GO OVER THE HILL YOU WILL SEE WHERE PICTURE ONE WAS TAKEN THEN CONTINUE DOWN AND TO THE RIGHT ADN GO UP BURGOYNE ROAD TO JUST BEFORE THE SECOND BUS STOP.

THERE YOU WILL SEE A WALKWAY WHICH IS OTLEY WALK. WALK UP THERE UNTILL YOU GET TO THE TOP HOUSES WERE YOU WILL SEE No35 AND TURN ROUND AND LOOK. YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN.THEN CONTINUE WALKING ROUND AND YOU WILL COME TO THE OLD UPPERTHORPE SCHOOL.

TURN LEFT AND UP DANIEL HILL STREET A FEW YARDS AND YOU WILL SEE A SNICKET/GENNEL. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE OUT PICTURE 8 . CONTINUE UP THE HILL AND YOU WILL COME TO A ROAD ON YOUR RIGHT. BEFORE YOU GO DOWN LOOK ACCROSS THE ROAD AND YOU WILL SEE A BENC WHERE THEY FILMED FULL MONTY WHEN THEY CAME TO APOLOGISE ABOUT BREAKING THE GNOMES. WALK DOWN THIS ROAD HAROLD STREET AND NEAR THE BOTTOM HAVE A LOOK UP BECAUSE THIS IS WHERE I THINK FILM5 WAS TAKEN. TURN RIGHT AT THE BOTTOM AND YOUR BACK WERE YOU STARTED.

ENJOY YOUR TOUR

Great work there - appreciated !!

I'm going to be busy for some time now thanks to that info

Guest BehindTheFlag

As there was already a Owlerton topic l thought it maybe appropriate to ask my question here.

I am trying to find out if there was ever a football or playing field behind Owlerton Stadium.

I know Sheffield FC and Sheffield Eagles used to play at Owlerton Stadium itself but I was told sometime ago that there used to be a field behind. From research already conducted, there appears to be a speedway practice area and I wonder what existed there before this was built. Would this of been a field?

As there was already a Owlerton topic l thought it maybe appropriate to ask my question here. I am trying to find out if there was ever a football or playing field behind Owlerton Stadium. I know Sheffield FC and Sheffield Eagles used to play at Owlerton Stadium itself but I was told sometime ago that there used to be a field behind. From research already conducted, there appears to be a speedway practice area and I wonder what existed there before this was built. Would this of been a field?

Hi BTF and welcome to SheffieldHistory,

any idea when Owlerton Stadium was built please ?

Here is part of the area shown on a 1903map, like you say fields.

PICTURE 1, IS FOX ROAD LEADING INTO WHITEHOUSE LANE AT ITS JUNCTION WITH WOOD STREET. THIS IS WHAT YOU SEE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE HILL. OF COURSE THE ESTATE BETWEEN FOX ROAD AND HAROLD STREET HAS CHANGED DRAMATICALLY FROM THOSE DAYS .AND WHERE THE SECOND CAR IS I USED TO WAIT FOR MY STAFF BUS AT 03.45am AND WAS ONCE PROPOSED TO BY A LADY OF THE NIGHT.NO KIDDING.

PICTURE 5, COULD WELL BE HAROLD STREET WHICH HAS CHANGED SINCE THEN. IT LOOKS LIKE THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN FROM WHAT IS NOW RUSKIN PARK, JUST BELOW WHERE SOME OF FULL MONTY WAS FILMED.

PICTURE 6, LOOKS AS THOUGH IT WAS TAKEN FROM MY BEDROOM WINDOW OF THE HOUSE I LEFT TO COME DOWN HERE. No 35 OTLEY WALK. ALTHOUGH THE ROAD YOU LOOK DOWN HAS GONE(POSSIBLY OTLEY STREET) THERE SEEMS NO MISTAKING BURGOYNE ROAD AT THE BOTTOM AND EITHER HAWKSWORTH ROAD OR TENNYSON ROAD LEADING UP TO WHITEHOUSE LANE AT THE TOP.

PICTURE 8. UPPERTHORPE SCHOOL AT THE TOP OF THE PICTURE. ONCE AGAIN THE ROAD AS GONE BUT IF YOU GO UP DANIEL HILL STREET I DO BELIEVE YOU CAN SEE THE ENTRANCE YOU SEE IN THE PICTURE. THE SCHOOL HAS RECENTLY BEEN MADE INTO FLATS/APPARTMENTS BUT I UNDERSTAND IT WAS A LISTED BUILDING.

A GUIDED TOUR WOULD BE FOR YOU TO GO THROUGH UPPERTHORPE UP DANIEL HILL AND KEEP ON THE MAIN ROAD HAS YOU GO OVER THE HILL WHERE THE KELVIN FLATS WERE ON THE RIGHT.

AS YOU GO OVER THE HILL YOU WILL SEE WHERE PICTURE ONE WAS TAKEN THEN CONTINUE DOWN AND TO THE RIGHT ADN GO UP BURGOYNE ROAD TO JUST BEFORE THE SECOND BUS STOP.

THERE YOU WILL SEE A WALKWAY WHICH IS OTLEY WALK. WALK UP THERE UNTILL YOU GET TO THE TOP HOUSES WERE YOU WILL SEE No35 AND TURN ROUND AND LOOK. YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN.THEN CONTINUE WALKING ROUND AND YOU WILL COME TO THE OLD UPPERTHORPE SCHOOL.

TURN LEFT AND UP DANIEL HILL STREET A FEW YARDS AND YOU WILL SEE A SNICKET/GENNEL. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE OUT PICTURE 8 . CONTINUE UP THE HILL AND YOU WILL COME TO A ROAD ON YOUR RIGHT. BEFORE YOU GO DOWN LOOK ACCROSS THE ROAD AND YOU WILL SEE A BENC WHERE THEY FILMED FULL MONTY WHEN THEY CAME TO APOLOGISE ABOUT BREAKING THE GNOMES. WALK DOWN THIS ROAD HAROLD STREET AND NEAR THE BOTTOM HAVE A LOOK UP BECAUSE THIS IS WHERE I THINK FILM5 WAS TAKEN. TURN RIGHT AT THE BOTTOM AND YOUR BACK WERE YOU STARTED.

ENJOY YOUR TOUR

Would like to see these pictures, anyone any idea how to find them?

Would like to see these pictures, anyone any idea how to find them?

Hi jmdee,

I'm guessing the photos were added by our Admin, member name 'Sheffield History'

I am aware of data loss (due to a sever crash) around his time of posting.

If so, I wonder if our Admin has kept copies of the originals.

Guest BehindTheFlag

Hi Guys

@Stu, great map but has confused me even more.

I really should explain. I am actually a historian at Sheffield FC and know we played on various occassions at Owlerton Stadium and this is where the confusion comes in.

In more recent years I know the Owlerton referred to is actually the Dog Track but in previous years I was lead to believe there was a pitch behind the track (now Hillsborough College) which was a recreational field and temporary football pitch.

Now the real confusing fact is that Wednesday's current Hillsborough ground also used to be known as Owlerton Stadium but changed its name many years ago. Could I be confused and the ground Sheffield FC played on at the time was what is now Hillsborough?

The map included is great but I am struggling to see where the current Owlerton Stadium is located. Is the PO office on the map in the same place as the current PO delivery office?

Rich @ Behind The Flag

http://www.behindtheflag.info

Hi Guys

@Stu, great map but has confused me even more.

I really should explain. I am actually a historian at Sheffield FC and know we played on various occassions at Owlerton Stadium and this is where the confusion comes in.

In more recent years I know the Owlerton referred to is actually the Dog Track but in previous years I was lead to believe there was a pitch behind the track (now Hillsborough College) which was a recreational field and temporary football pitch.

Now the real confusing fact is that Wednesday's current Hillsborough ground also used to be known as Owlerton Stadium but changed its name many years ago. Could I be confused and the ground Sheffield FC played on at the time was what is now Hillsborough?

The map included is great but I am struggling to see where the current Owlerton Stadium is located. Is the PO office on the map in the same place as the current PO delivery office?

Rich @ Behind The Flag

http://www.behindtheflag.info

I'm not sure which side of the road the PO lettering refers to but if it's the south west side then the block of cottages next to the pub is the Owlerton Hall which suffered the fate of being converted into cottages for the later part of it's life. I believe it was demolished in the thirties and the porch rebuilt in a house at Holmesfield or somewhere similar. The pub was rebuilt taking in the site of the old hall and now a branch of Kentucky Fried Chicken stands nearby.

The stadium car park runs south down Penistone Road from St. John's Church.

HD

There was the Forge? sports ground where the college is.

Looked it up 1948 DIR.Livesy Street

Sheffield Corporation Electric Supply Sports Club (ground)

There was the Forge? sports ground where the college is.

Looked it up 1948 DIR.Livesy Street

Sheffield Corporation Electric Supply Sports Club (ground)

Thank's neddy.

Just checked on oldmaps.co.uk, and the 1934 map clearly shows a large sports ground with bowling green

just to the east of Owlerton stadium.

Link to Flash Earth + marks the spot

Thank's neddy.

Just checked on oldmaps.co.uk, and the 1934 map clearly shows a large sports ground with bowling green

just to the east of Owlerton stadium.

Link to Flash Earth + marks the spot

Close but to the left opposite the field behind the dog track with the college stood on it.

Close but to the left opposite the field behind the dog track with the college stood on it.

Hi neddy, I have tried to send you a pm with a copy of the 1934 map, but your personal messenger is switched off.

S

Hi neddy, I have tried to send you a pm with a copy of the 1934 map, but your personal messenger is switched off.

S

It was probably full just emptied some.

It was probably full just emptied some.

I have now found the ground you refer to, and it is the the older of the two and appears on the 1923 map.

Named as 'Sheffield Forge Sports Ground'