The Wicker

Sheffield History

I remember the little cobblers shop on Lady's Bridge opposite Blonk Street, it's behind the police box on the corner of Nursery Street in this photo ..

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...jpgh/s00182.jpg

Arthur Turners gun/sports shop was on West Bar, I can't ever recall them being on Wicker?

But I could be wrong.

No. 3 Nursery Street- I.Marsland -Clog Maker.

Guest plain talker

Can anyone tell me where the Trinity Church was in the Wicker?

Hi UL,

Holy Trinity, Wicker was actually on Nursery Street. It still exists, but is the New Testament Church Of God now. it's near the top of Either Johnson Street orJoiner Street?

Re the archery butts on the Wicker — a note by J. D. Leader in his Records of the Burgery of Sheffield.

There were two butts for archery set up in the Wicker and maintained by the Burgery: the near butt; and the far butt. The entries relating to them [in the Burgery accounts] are numerous. There was also a township bow in possession of the Burgery, which occasionally had a new string at the cost of one penny. Every parish was bound to keep up common butts. The Rotherham feoffees had charge of the butts of that town.

In Toulmin Smith's "Parish," p. 520, note, it is said, "Every parish in the land is bound by law to have its butts, to be used for the wholesome recreation of the inhabitants. This which is the ancient law was re-declared by 3 Hen. VIII., c. 3, and 33 Hen. VIII., c. 9. It was one of regular articles of periodical inquiry. If the inhabitants of the town (parish) have made and continued their butts as they ought to do, and if they exercise themselves with the long bows in shooting at the same, and elsewhere, on the holidays and other times convenient."........"The reader will remember how, at the siege of the castle, in Ivanhoe, Walter Scott, true to popular habits, and therefore using natural similies, makes ' the men complain that they can nowhere show themselves but they are the mark for as many arrows as a parish butt on a holy-day even."

An example from the accounts for 1572,

Item, paid to William Dyker and Johne Greave

for makinge the nare butt in the Sembley grene..............vj s. viij d.

Can anyone tell me where the Trinity Church was in the Wicker?

Hi ukelele lady,

plain talker is spot on again ...

"Holy Trinity, Wicker was actually on Nursery Street. It still exists, but is the New Testament Church Of God now. it's near the top of Either Johnson Street orJoiner Street?"

More info pictures old & new, also a modern day aerial view,

can be found in this Topic ... St Michaels Neepsend & Holy Trinity Wicker

Guest Diz-e-dee

My first memory of the Wicker is of a circus parade (Billy Smarts maybe?) going down past all the bus stops. There were planters on the central reservation with flag poles going from the arches to Blonk Street. I can't for the life of me think why the flags were up this was in the early to mid sixties. The Circus was where Paragon Motors is now.

The Wicker also played a large part of my social life in the early 80's - all those pubs! I can remember when Tetleys were having one of their tea shirt promo's and you had to get 20 stamps on a card to get a free tea shirt. This was pretty easy considering how many Tetley pubs there were going from Gower Street down to the Wicker!

THE WICKER

Sheffield City Centre - S3 8HQ

INFORMATION

I guess the first thing that springs to mind when thinking of the Wicker is the huge Wicker arches at the bottom of it

Another thing that springs to mind is just how many pubs there were on one stretch of road (you can say the same thing about takeaways these days on the Wicker) and even though many were demolished or closed, there's stilll a large number of public houses still left here.

PICTURES

A view of the brick built viaduct (bridge no. 134) over Wicker Road at the western end of Sheffield Victoria station. This view along the Wicker is described in S W A Newton's notes as the ' Viaduct over Wicker'.. Probably photographed in the early 1890's, the scene includes a row of horse-drawn cabs and, underneath the viaduct, a horse-drawn tram. Predominant advertising on the viaduct is promoting 'BERRY'S LION ALES'.

Hello,

These are a terrific set of pictures. I grew up on Stanley Street so my recollection of the Wicker is from a very early age, say 1941-2 until we moved from the area in 1960. As other have said, the Arch dominated the whole area. I was in Sheffield just before Christmas and took a walk down the Wicker. Its now a shadow of what it used to be.

Your excellent photgraphs and the commentary by others on this topic jogged my memory on a couple of things.

One thing was the bomb going throught the main Wicker arch itself. On the night of the first blitz raid, my family was in Shelters located on the corner of Stanley Street and Joiner Lane. Shelters are of course long gone, but the brick wall that surrounded them was still there in December. During the raid, incendary bombs fell on Wood's timber yard over on Nusery Street and the ARP and police made us move to a shelter under the old cutlery works on Andrews Street. This old building was only demolishe 2/3 years ago to make way for the new link road that crosses the Wicker.

During the raid a bomb fell and there was tremendous explosions. The building seemed to move and all the supposedly blast-proof doors were blown open . I always assumed that this was the bomb that went through the arch.

The other thing was the arch itself. In earlier photos, you can see the arch has a stone parapet but in the later pictures, the parapet has gone replaced with a hand rail. All the stones that had formed the parapet were dumped on waste land in Andrews Street soon after the Blitz. Whether they were blown of in the raid itself or removed as safety precaution nobody seemed to know. I see a replacement stone parapet was installed during the recent renovations.

I think the photograph of the tram about to go under the arch is quite rare. This is a double deck Rotherham Tram, not one from Sheffield. They were designed to just go in one direction (left to right in the photo) although they did have controls on the rear platform for reversing over short distances. I only ever saw one Rotherham double decker but there were several single deckers running on the service until it was eventually replaced with buses. This was when the bridge over the railway at Tinsley, started before the war and never finished, was finally completed, in I think 1948.

Regards

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Hello,

These are a terrific set of pictures. I grew up on Stanley Street so my recollection of the Wicker is from a very early age, say 1941-2 until we moved from the area in 1960. As other have said, the Arch dominated the whole area. I was in Sheffield just before Christmas and took a walk down the Wicker. Its now a shadow of what it used to be.

Your excellent photgraphs and the commentary by others on this topic jogged my memory on a couple of things.

One thing was the bomb going throught the main Wicker arch itself. On the night of the first blitz raid, my family was in Shelters located on the corner of Stanley Street and Joiner Lane. Shelters are of course long gone, but the brick wall that surrounded them was still there in December. During the raid, incendary bombs fell on Wood's timber yard over on Nusery Street and the ARP and police made us move to a shelter under the old cutlery works on Andrews Street. This old building was only demolishe 2/3 years ago to make way for the new link road that crosses the Wicker.

During the raid a bomb fell and there was tremendous explosions. The building seemed to move and all the supposedly blast-proof doors were blown open . I always assumed that this was the bomb that went through the arch.

The other thing was the arch itself. In earlier photos, you can see the arch has a stone parapet but in the later pictures, the parapet has gone replaced with a hand rail. All the stones that had formed the parapet were dumped on waste land in Andrews Street soon after the Blitz. Whether they were blown of in the raid itself or removed as safety precaution nobody seemed to know. I see a replacement stone parapet was installed during the recent renovations.

I think the photograph of the tram about to go under the arch is quite rare. This is a double deck Rotherham Tram, not one from Sheffield. They were designed to just go in one direction (left to right in the photo) although they did have controls on the rear platform for reversing over short distances. I only ever saw one Rotherham double decker but there were several single deckers running on the service until it was eventually replaced with buses. This was when the bridge over the railway at Tinsley, started before the war and never finished, was finally completed, in I think 1948.

Regards

Anybody remember the old tram shelter in the Wicker, in the middle of the road, close to the tram track (obviously!). I have seen it on one old picture, but not recently. Waited in that shelter many a time to catch a tram up Spital Hill!

Anybody remember the old tram shelter in the Wicker, in the middle of the road, close to the tram track (obviously!). I have seen it on one old picture, but not recently. Waited in that shelter many a time to catch a tram up Spital Hill!

Have you seen this from our then & now showcase

Here's another photo same location

Guest lebourg

Hello,

Regards

Thats a fantastic story.

I remember when going from the Wicker, under the bridge high up on the left was a patch of new brickwork where the bridge had been repaired after the bomb came through

Thats a fantastic story.

I remember when going from the Wicker, under the bridge high up on the left was a patch of new brickwork where the bridge had been repaired after the bomb came through

Hi Lebourg, have you seen this topic about the Wicker Arches in general, the bomb damage is covered there.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=26250

This is on of my photo's from that topic

Stuart0742 said:
Hi Lebourg, have you seen this topic about the Wicker Arches in general, the bomb damage is covered there.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=26250

This is on of my photo's from that topic

P1040866_resize.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 17.40.12.jpg

Hi,There
was another piece of bomb damage further up the Wicker. This was when the Luftwaffe 'coverted' Tram No. 274 into a single decker, as shown on this photo.

As most of you know, I grew up in the Wicker but was very young at the time of the blitz. I don't remember seeing Tram 274 although I wasn'taken into the Wicker itself until the Saturday afternoon, following the Thursday Night raid and the tram could have been moved by then.

My Dad andI only got as far as the top of Haymarket but were stopped by the police. (a UXB I think). We just looked into Fitzalan Square which was a mess. There was a big piece of metal drapped over the roof of the old stone tram shelter. It was grey and I always thought it was part of a plane (a kids imagination) but it was more likely to have been the roof from a tram.

I do remember there were "bundles" in one or two shop doorways up Waingate and Haymarket. You could see part of a hand or foot sticking out from under the covering., These must have been bodies that they hadn't had time to pick up.

All a long time ago,

Regards

Falls2 said:
Hi,

There was another piece of bomb damage further up the Wicker. This was when the Luftwaffe 'coverted' Tram No. 274 into a single decker, as shown on this photo. 

As most of you know, I grew up in the Wicker but was very young at the time of the blitz. I don't remember seeing Tram 274 although I wasn'taken into the Wicker itself until the Saturday afternoon, following the Thursday Night raid and the tram could have been moved by then.

My Dad andI only got as far as the top of Haymarket but were stopped by the police. (a UXB I think). We just looked into Fitzalan Square which was a mess. There was a big piece of metal drapped over the roof of the old stone tram shelter. It was grey and I always thought it was part of a plane (a kids imagination) but it was more likely to have been the roof from a tram.

I do remember there were "bundles" in one or two shop doorways up Waingate and Haymarket. You could see part of a hand or foot sticking out from under the covering., These must have been bodies that they hadn't had time to pick up.

All a long time ago,

Regards

Thanks for posting that real piece of Sheffield History Falls, us youngsters can try our best but to have been there (however young) makes it all a bit more interesting somehow.

Guest wayneybabes

here is one of the 6 short videos i made on the day of the floods

We had to leave our premises and walk down the wicker through it all but got stuck at the chemist as the water was flowing down stanley street so fast, there was no way we could get any further down the wicker. The pallet truck in video #5 came to our rescue and carried people across!

Thanks for posting that real piece of Sheffield History Falls, us youngsters can try our best but to have been there (however young) makes it all a bit more interesting somehow.

Hi,

There was another family recollection that might be of interest.

At the time of the blitz, one of my wife's relations had been allowed to leave school a few days early so he could begin his first job in the lab at the Royal Infirmary. He was due to start on Monday December 16th; however, on the Saturday morning (December 14th) following the first raid, he received a postcard from the Hospital delaying his start date.

Its always amazed me that the Infirmary must have been overwhelmed with casualties and problems at the time and yet someone had the presence of mind to send him a card. Not only that but apologise fro the delay, as if it was the Hospital's fault.

The other thing was the good old Post Office was back on the job so soon after the raid despite the chaos around them.

Roy eventually started early in the new year.

Regards

Guest wayneybabes

due to working on the wicker, if anyone wants any photos taking, let me know and i'll see what i can do during a lunch break

a shot our the front of our building, first arch, taken 5 years ago

and our cladding

THE LARGEST TROPHY SHOWROOM IN ENGLAND it says

..and its built into one of the Wicker arches.

Now that's got to be a Sheffield claim to fame.

A few more details on our record breaking trophy showroom perhaps wayneybabes. ;-)

no problem and thanks for your help!!

How many parts are there to your Wicker floods footage wayneybabes?

I have embedded part #4 and SteveHB appears to have embedded part #6

If we know how many parts there are and where to find them on YouTube we could embed them for you in the correct running order.

Guest wayneybabes

How many parts are there to your Wicker floods footage wayneybabes?

I have embedded part #4 and SteveHB appears to have embedded part #6

If we know how many parts there are and where to find them on YouTube we could embed them for you in the correct running order.

there are six parts all numbered.

there is also a video of us cleaning out the shop the day after. just google sheffield trophy centre and you should find it

Guest wayneybabes

THE LARGEST TROPHY SHOWROOM IN ENGLAND it says

..and its built into one of the Wicker arches.

Now that's got to be a Sheffield claim to fame.

A few more details on our record breaking trophy showroom perhaps wayneybabes. ;-)

We moved in 5 1/2 years ago

The building is 3 floored. the bottom floor is the workshop where i do the engraving/mail order etc and my sister and i make all the trophies. the middle floor is just my dads office and the whole of the top floor is the showroom with shelves down both sides of the arch and down the bottom wall.

We have been informed that we have the biggest showroom by assorted delivery drivers who have been all around the country and havent seen one as big.

here are a set of photos i used on the website of our showroom

We moved in 5 1/2 years ago

The building is 3 floored. the bottom floor is the workshop where i do the engraving/mail order etc and my sister and i make all the trophies. the middle floor is just my dads office and the whole of the top floor is the showroom with shelves down both sides of the arch and down the bottom wall.

We have been informed that we have the biggest showroom by assorted delivery drivers who have been all around the country and havent seen one as big.

here are a set of photos i used on the website of our showroom

It also sounds from your description that it is a family business wayneybabes.

The biggest trophy showroom in England is in Sheffield and is run by a local family of Sheffielders then lol

Nice One ;-)