The Wicker

Sheffield History

A thread about the Wicker Karate rooms and the factories on Sheldon Row has popped up on another forum I post on. Anyone on here have pictures or information, with the building of Derek Dooley Way and the redevolopment on the Wicker it's almost unrecognisable from when I was younger

Wicker Arches Sheffield.jpg

Photo looking down the Wicker through the Wicker Arches railway bridge

Great photo - not seen this one before

A look at the history of The Wicker in Sheffield City Centre
Learnt a lot from this one. Some interesting points and history in this one

My Uncle Harry Moore worked at John  Hutchinson's Pet Shop from around 1952. John Hutchinson was  a friend of his & persuaded him to leave his job as a lorry driver with  the Railways. It was probably a bad move as  John Hutchinson eventually closed the shop about 1980.

John Hutchinsons shop The Wicker.jpg

• Like 1

Nice photo! I can’t remember the shop and didn’t know there was a pet shop there!

Thank you

Forgive me if this has been answered previously.  

On bus journeys under the Wicker Arches my Grandad used to tell me about both the 'bomb hole' & the metal 'T' on the opposite side of the arch in the picture attached.

He used to say that the 'T' marks the height of the flood water of the Great Flood of 1864.  Is that true?

T Wicker Arches.JPG

On 24/06/2020 at 07:25, johnm said:

My Uncle Harry Moore worked at John  Hutchinson's Pet Shop from around 1952. John Hutchinson was  a friend of his & persuaded him to leave his job as a lorry driver with  the Railways. It was probably a bad move as  John Hutchinson eventually closed the shop about 1980.

I used to go to the shop in the 70's. They had lot of tropical fish stuff and tanks at that time.

Thank you for everyone who has posted information about the Wicker on this forum. It contributed a lot of information into my research on understanding the transformation The Wicker has gone through since 1850 till present day. I hope you all enjoy reading my map I have created :)

415E1167-59D9-47DE-9099-33302073A77A.jpeg

• Like 1