Barkers Pool

RichardB

Barker-pool destroyed;—"the walled in pool, which

was destroyed about this time, seems to have been

that made by Robert Rollinson, a mercer in Sheffield,

who died in 1731, aged 91."—Hunter.

The first house on the site of Barker-pool built by

Mrs. Potter.

Robert Rollinson made his fortune in a small shop in Market Place (between High Street and Angel Street) and he purchased much of the adjacent property, including most of the buildings in Figtree Lane. One of his many philanthropic acts was the enlargement and improvement of Barker's Pool, which in the 16th century was the town's only public reservoir. Robert Rollinson actually died in 1631; further improvements to Barker's Pool were made in 1672. Robert Rollinson had been held in such public esteem that he was buried in the chancel of the parish church.

I read something about Barkers Pool some years ago. The article claimed the pool was built by a Mr Barker and that once a month after a warning had been sounded a sluice gate was opened to allow water to run down the streets of the town and clean them from the accumulation of night soil.

I don't know if this report was correct, perhaps somebody can verify it as true or false?

Think it is mentioned in the J Edward Vicker's books - ? Old Sheffield Town and Popular History of Sheffield I think they are called. 

Lyn

I read something about Barkers Pool some years ago. The article claimed the pool was built by a Mr Barker and that once a month after a warning had been sounded a sluice gate was opened to allow water to run down the streets of the town and clean them from the accumulation of night soil.

I don't know if this report was correct, perhaps somebody can verify it as true or false?

OLD BARKER POOL . R. E. LEADER.
The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, April 21, 1900;

I have found this article in the above Newspaper which covers your item and states that it was also used for extinguishing Fires and used for Ducking Termagants. 

( Termagant is an insulting name for a woman who likes to nag, scold, or complain.) Other definition's are available.

Barkers pool.jpg

It wasn't specifically for night soil, it was to clear accumulated rubbish and animal waste and household rubbish.