Sheffields Rivers

Guest carlie167

Guest carlie167

Does anyone know the route of the rivers Don, Sheaf, and Porter, as they flow through Sheffield? Its possible to trace some of the direction where the rivers are visible, but where do they enter the city, leave the city, and where do they go on their way through? I know there will be someone here who can help. <_<<_< <_<

Does anyone know the route of the rivers Don, Sheaf, and Porter, as they flow through Sheffield? Its possible to trace some of the direction where the rivers are visible, but where do they enter the city, leave the city, and where do they go on their way through? I know there will be someone here who can help. <_<<_<<_<

That's a good question/topic carlie167, and it's given me an idea for a photography venture .. that is obviously to take photos of the sections of the rivers that are visible.

As for the exact hidden underground routes I would be a little confused on that one, so .. I may have to put the 'Divining Rods' into action for that one. lol

Guest carlie167

once we can see the pictures of parts of the river, it may be possible to map at least some of the route and that will give us some ideas.

at the rate everything is being built over, there soon wont be any of Sheffields rivers visible. So anyone who can add anything, please do lollol lol

Does anyone know the route of the rivers Don, Sheaf, and Porter, as they flow through Sheffield? Its possible to trace some of the direction where the rivers are visible, but where do they enter the city, leave the city, and where do they go on their way through? I know there will be someone here who can help. <_<<_<<_<

An interesting question! Thinking about it, am I right in thinking that all the Sheffield rivers run their whole course within the city boundary, except the Don, which certainly leaves the city, but I'm not sure where it actually rises.

You can trace the open parts of the rivers on the A-Z, and play 'join the dots' on the culverted bits!

There was a planning row recently because the Council is supposed to have a policy of 'de-culverting' the rivers when new development arises, but they allowed a developer to culvert part of the Porter which was previously open.

neddy, good find!

I've seen another book by Theophilus Smith entitled "Wharncliffe, Wortley and the Valley of the Don", written around the same time (1864 IIRC). Unfortunately, I didn't manage to make a copy of it but if memory serves (oh dear!) it does describe where both the Don and Little Don Rivers rise. Overall though, it's a pretty good read. There are probably copies either in Local Studies or the Archives.

A quick look at the OS maps reveals the Don to 'begin' in the vicinity of Grains Moss (Great Grains Clough), near Winscar Reservoir. It then flows through Penistone, Oxspring, Thurgoland to its confluence with the Little Don at Deepcar. Whether it's still called the Little Don or not I don't know! Anyone?

Hope this helps.

Edit: Neddy, you don't know whether Volume 2 is available do you? Tried looking for it at Google books and can't find it! Cheers

This is interesting silentuk click on the large picci and scroll through the images and you will see the River Sheaf in the open section at Pond Sreet.

I take it the other photos are of the underground section of the Sheaf?

This one/a link from silent Pond Street/Sheaf Sreet.

And to compare my photo of the River Sheaf at Pond Hill/Sheaf Street ..

The "not so mighty River Porter".

I've had these photos for a few weeks now, I will post the River Sheaf later. The photos start from Matilda Street (beside the old Matilda Tavern) looking away from town.

Crossing under Matilda Street bridge it passes behind Radio Sheffield, emerging for a few yards in a deep cutting behind (the wall on the left) before disappearing under Sheffield Archives. It next emerges the other side of Suffolk Road in a concrete gulley (the shame) then runs towards the Midland Station before meeting up with the Sheaf.

Here's hoping I get them in the right order!

Some really good pictures there dr stanley, and I'm looking forward to seeing your River Sheaf photos.

I have one that was taken this week, it's where the Sheaf joins the Don under Castlegate.

And one of the River Don, taken from Lady's Bridge.

Guest carlie167

Thanks very much for these great pics, I must take a walk round Sheffield one day and see for myself now. I also borrowed a book from the library, A History of Sheffield by David Hey, and there are lots of old maps that show the Sheaf, Porter, and Don. Its a brilliant book and well worth getting hold of.

Thanks again, what a great bunch of friends xx :):) :)

Thanks SteveHB for that link SilentUK

Exellent site with some magnificent pictures with stunning lighting, excellent. Do you know of anyone whos been down those storm drains, Ive been caving before and loved it, this looks just as good. :)

Sue

The "inner city" River Sheaf, whats left of it to see.

Starting from the city end of Queens Road, the River Sheaf passes through its almost blocked screen before disappearing under Granville Square (River Sheaf Walk). It doe'snt appear again until Pond Hill and then only for about 50 foot before disappearing again beside the Ponds Forge Leisure Centre, before Joining the Don at Castlegate as already stated, almost a mile and only visible for 50 feet, a sad end.

Slighty off course here but just upstream of Ladys Bridge you have this, interested!

Guest carlie167

A couple more to add of The River Sheaf, looking from the bridge at Duchess Road .. site of the Clough Wheels.

Loving the pictures. Im getting a real idea now of where the rivers are and its getting more interesting as it goes on. lol

Thanks SteveHB for that link SilentUK

Exellent site with some magnificent pictures with stunning lighting, excellent. Do you know of anyone whos been down those storm drains, Ive been caving before and loved it, this looks just as good. :)

Sue

They're actually just culverts and can be walked easily with a pair of wellies.

The porter flows from hunters bar, down the back of ecclesall road, until it disappears underground down the side of wards brewery. It then re-emerges only briefly at the side of mothercare / staples (you can see it from the car park) It flows underground again but quickly emerges at the car park entrance to the disused sofa place, before disappearing underground for a section along mary street, but then flows behind the disused workshops up to matilda street where it's progress is charted by Dr. Stanley. When it comes out from under the sheffield archives near the spar at the train station, it flows in a channel and then disappears under the station. This bit is blocked with a grill.

Since this is a complicated description, i plotted the above ground and underground sections on a map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=e...p;z=14&om=1

Please don't attempt to walk the underground sections if it's been raining recently (or indeed, by and large in the winter) i think the summer floods showed us how quickly the water level can rise, and it only takes ankle depth fast flowing water to knock you off your feet.

I would be very interested to know what river it is that merges with the Don near ladysbridge, under the millsands development and see here: http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&id=2809

Guest carlie167

Hi DBS, Thanks for the info on the Porter, I found it very interesting to see the actual route on the map.Thanks for your work on that. Im pretty sure the river that joins the Don is the Sheaf whose route has been covered earlier in the thread.

Guest carlie167

Thanks this is getting more fascinating as it goes on, and Im learning lots more about the topic.

what a great site!!!! :)

Thanks, —I hope to make a useful contribution from time to time. Poor health prevents me from getting out much these days but I do have a decent collection of books etc on Sheffield's history as well as copies of some of the old maps. Perhaps a web site one day :)

All contributions to the site are gratefully received, Gramps. Books are something I'm a bit short of out here in Portugal. Up to now I manage (just about) with "Aspects of Sheffield 1 and a history of Maternity Care in Sheffield. Everything else I have to Google for, if it's not in the 'Brain Box' already!

Laurence

Hi Fellow SHs Just had a thought WHAT IF all the Sheffield Rivers dried up for Three Days ( i.e Time Team ) what remains of Sheffield's Past Heritage do you think we would find buried in the silt that's not been visible since the Valleys were formed in the last ice age

Some good work been done on this topic

It is amazing and so sad that our city fathers who are always declaring their respect for our city, hills and rivers have done their best to cover all the features up

The best place to see our lovely rivers is nearer their sources such as:

Totley

Ringinglow

Porter Clough

Langsett Area

Bradfield/Strines

All lovely areas

The River Porter,

as it emerges briefly by the side of Mothercare/Staples car park, near to St Mary's Gate.

Hi SteveHB

Did you notice on the second photo in the bottom right hand corner in the rubble is what looks like a Mill Stone

possibly disturbed in the last floods or are my eyes deceiving me ?

Hi SteveHB

Did you notice on the second photo in the bottom right hand corner in the rubble is what looks like a Mill Stone

I sure did syrup, noticed it when I was editing the photo, still not sure though.

A full resolution crop may help you decide, 'Is it' or could it be a wheel hub/break drum ?

Didn't want to cause mayhem in the morning rush hour, 'With Hundreds' of SH members Cueing to get in to Mothercare car park lol

Hi SteveHB

Yes sorry about that, Unless it was a early braking system for a Mill Stone, But never the less an excellant photo

when you realy enlarge it you can see all kinds of things used condoms roman broaches roman duffle coat toggles

a Duck some brown tube like things. Must get another drink now before i go to bed.

Hi SteveHB

For the last twenty years I have been collecting mill/grinding stones from Cat Lane Woods. Someone else in the area has been doing the same but they have now moved house and taken the stones with them .I know of a couple more stones that are still there but can only be seen in a dry summer. Anyone any idea why so many grind stones are in the Meersbrook?