N.R.Bardwell

Guest tsavo

A friend sent me this item from The Star. I hadn't heard about Norman's death and was saddened to see that he had died.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/P...-end.3490334.jp

Sad news indeed! Used to look forward to a good scrounge round the Sellers St. shop. A real wonderland. Bought my first Germanium Diode there and used it to make a small radio.....lots of wire for the aerial and an old pair of ex RAF headphones.....happy days. He even sold off part of the Blue Streak Guided missile system control units....and some huge Condensers that could have triggered an H Bomb! He was one of the real Sheffield characters....and a 'real Gent' in the nicest sense of the word. First saw him in the Rag 'N Tag back in the 1950s.......Type 49 Handheld Radio's 2 feet long and weighing about 20lbs were on offer at one time...always fancied one, but never had the muscles to lift one!

Cheers Norman! Sad to see you go.

Tsavo,

Could have been me writing that, Saturday mornings in the Rag and Tag just inside the Commercial street entrance. There with his son who now runs the business with, I think, his brother-in-law.

I used to be a regular customer buying parts for my job but then moved to the Midlands and did not go for about 15 years. On my return to Sheffield went to buy parts for a project and wow just the same place I may have never been away. Just like a time capsule.

Last saw Norman and his son in a pub in Coal Aston, but that was some time ago.

As you say sad to learn of his death. My thoughts go to his family and gratitude for a life of keeping me and many others supplied with electronic parts for a great hobby.

I remember buying a cheap Japanese digital (readout) meter from Sellar Street. Within a couple of days I was back to buy a resister that had blown. (forgot to switch to AC and.....) This went on for a while until Norman suggested that I buy a packet of a dozen and save on the petrol!

Good days and happy memories.