You can bring back ONE building

Sheffield History

I hate to do this!

The Hippodrome Cinema - Remember the Gods with the long benches - a real social occasion

The Empire Theatre

The Playhouse Townhead Street

The (Real) Stonehouse on Saturday lunchtimes

The Locarno Dancehall

The Nether Edge Dance on Nurses Night

The Colly (a test)

The Hippodrome

This was sited towards the bottom of Cambridge Street on the RHS going down.

On a Sunday night the line of waiting people would stretch right down to the bottom of the street and round the corner.

I used to remember this as a bloke with a plackard saying "The End Is Nigh" used to preach to us whilst we were waiting. We are still waiting.

We used to go in the Gods (no pun intended) which had long bench seats stretching right round the theatre. This was great for chatting up the girls (the main interest). Dates were made for the coming week.

We used to meet them on (you've guessed it) Coles Corner.

Life was so simple

As my father in law used to say "We were poor but we were miserable"

How about the MOOR! Whatever has happened to it? our grandfathers would turn in their grave if they saw it now!

How spooky is that...I was just saying to Mrs Dary...look at this ..what building would you have back and the first thing she said was THE MOOR!!

She worked at one of the banks on there in the late eighties and loved it!

"There was a proper market there but also lots of big name stores..not all the 99p shops thats are there now."

Even a Hamleys.....possibly the only one outside of London.

Personally I first went to the Moor in 1993/4 and all I can remember were the blokes selling knock off tapes and other hooky goods.

What about Longley open air baths now we have Global Warming it would be ideal in our long HOT summers

And Millhouses Lido for the Posh people.

Guest Sheffield Steve

Personally I first went to the Moor in 1993/4 and all I can remember were the blokes selling knock off tapes and other hooky goods.

They do that outside The Castle Market these days - watch out for counterfeit ciggies especially. :(