You can bring back ONE building

Sheffield History

I second that!

So right where are we going to put it and who are we going to get to build it, The way they knocking up some of the housing estates it should not take long once we have reclaimed the original bricks sorry stones.

So what part of MODERN Sheffield wouldn't we miss. ??

Nice idea. Are we allowed to use modern aids like pumps for plumbing etc?. If not we're limited to keeping close to the rivers.

quote name='tsavo' date='Nov 18 2007, 03:39 PM' post='11543']

First thoughts suggest Wincobank Hill. Historically an Iron Age fort, it would be visible for miles.

That sounds a good spot nobody else seems to be using it but do we copy and modify the artists impressions available

or design a totally new updated Castle at least we wont need a moat.

Sorry the pictures thanks to.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl and http://www.sheffieldmarkets.co.uk/sheffiel...de-furnival.php

Additional rules

You can bring back a building - put it anywhere in Sheffield (doesn't need to be in it's original location) and you can use all mod cons in it if you want (electricity, gas, sky tv !)

Definitely get as near to the original as possible. Plenty of castle ruins elsewhere to give ideas to copy, anything else would just become a sort of.....well, Meadowhall!

PS. I assume we are talking about the stone castle, not the first wooden one.

So right where are we going to put it and who are we going to get to build it, The way they knocking up some of the housing estates it should not take long once we have reclaimed the original bricks sorry stones.

So what part of MODERN Sheffield wouldn't we miss. ??

Well, Castle Market's due to come down so the original site is partly available. The who is more problematic. There can't be many firms around with experience of proper castle building. Can we trace where the original stone went and ask nicely if we can have it back?

Guest belfrybum

hole in the road!

just dig up the rubble (kelvin flats) put down there,and hey presto,how easy.!

easy to dig out the old underground leading everywhere!

Hi Fellow SHs Don't know if anyone has started sketching any plans for these buildings for the NEWER Sheffield but how about bringing back THE STOCKS so we can control the Drunks and trouble causers ( Obviously Sheffield History Members would be excempt from this punishment ) And possibly the ducking stool would be alright, Now that the Don is cleaner??

Its gotta be hole in the road..everybody feels nostalgic when they remember it! Should have never av gotten rid of it, it was unique, stylish (if not smelly) and what sheffield was about, if you need to get anywhere, it was the hole in the rd that got you there...BRING IT BACK YOU CHUFFS! WE ALL MISS IT DESPERATELY!

its got to be the egg box town hall extension, placed against the soon to rejuvinated park hill flats, with the hole in the road placed under park square roundabout to allow access to a 1960s sheffield theme park.

It not a building as such more a vehicle, but my vote goes to Greasy Vera's.

If we go to the seaside and persuade John to come out of retirement..then find him another Austin K type we'd be all tucking into Double Cheggs in no time!!

I was a bit of a relief, when I got called out at night, to be working at that side of town because I knew that I could nip down to Greasy's about mid night for a Double Chegg. His bacon butties were fantastic too...I never had bacon sooooo crispy.

One night when we called in we were surprised to find the place was all but empty...usually there would be a few cars or Taxis about but that night it was just our van. We both went for a natter with John, got two Double Chegg's and were just about to leave with our food when a bloke pulled up in a brand new Jaguar XK8.

These has only been out a few weeks and as both me and my mate are car mad, we were drawn to the Jag. The driver was over the moon that two blokes were drooling over his car. He was showing us round it, and as blokes do...opened the bonnet to show the enigine...at this point my mate leant over the near side wing to look in the engine bay while at the same time taking a bite of his burger

It all seamed to happen in slow motion....as he bit into one side of the burger the contents of the burger squished out of the other side and dropped straight down the wing of the Jaguar! It was covered in Cheese, Egg, Onion, Tomatoe and Beef Burger. The Jag man wasn't happy!

I walked back to the van and spent the rest of the night laughing..nearly choked on my burger too!

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Its got to be.....of course REDGATES! he he and secondly WIMPY! get rid of Mcdonalds crap oopps they already did down the moor..must be my curse! and thirdly.. ole int road...forthly Sheaf market or even better rag and tag, ..and yippee we have our Sheffield back!

Guest transit

Its got to be.....of course REDGATES! he he and secondly WIMPY! get rid of Mcdonalds crap oopps they already did down the moor..must be my curse! and thirdly.. ole int road...forthly Sheaf market or even better rag and tag, ..and yippee we have our Sheffield back!

not forgetting Sheaf Valley Baths , and ABC Cinema

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

How about the MOOR! Whatever has happened to it? our grandfathers would turn in their grave if they saw it now!

The Rag & Tag!

What a good idea!

You would have to bring back the characters as well.

I'm sure there are some great characters still left in Sheffield that could make it go

Remember Edwards the pot man or is my memory going