Esseldo Cinemas

mickjj

There used to be two Esseldo Cinemas one on Barnsley Road at Sheffield Lane Top and the other at Southey Green. They were very grand places with statues set in alcoves on the side walls. They both had balconies as well as "Dress Circles". The on a Southey is where the Tesco is now and the Barnsley Road location was the "Adelphi" bingo hall for a number of years but I believe it has since been demolished

Yes the middle two are both the one on Barnsley road, I had forgotten that it had bee called the "Capitol" before being renamed.

Just found this picture and info.

The Capitol was the last cinema to be built before the 1939-1945 war

It had 1700 seats and is still a very large building

In operation between 1939 and 1975

Name was changed to Essoldo in 1950

And Vogue for a short while before final closure

Guest Dazza

I loved the Lane Top Esseldo. Saw all the 'big' films there. Zulu...all the Bond films...633 Squadron....Lawrence of Arabia...........Italian Job........the velour seats didn't half itch the back of your legs though.

The Lane Top Essoldo is still there, but now used as a carpet salesroom. It opened brand new as The Capitol in September 1939 - only to close a week later as the government closed all places of entertainment because of the war. They all soon reopened, they needed to restore morale. After it closed in 1975, it reopened a couple or so years later as Crown Bingo.

Do these ring any bells ? Are these any of em ?

The first pic is of the Sunbeams Picture palace which stood on Barnsley Road at the junction of Skinnerthorpe Road (closed in 1961).Pics 2 & 3 are as stated of the Capitol (later Essoldo) Lane Top and the last one is the Ritz Cinema known as the Ritz Parsons Green which stands at the junction of Wordsworth Avenue & Southey Green closed as a cinema in 1966 and then on bingo for many years.Still standing in 2009 but closed.

There used to be two Esseldo Cinemas one on Barnsley Road at Sheffield Lane Top and the other at Southey Green. They were very grand places with statues set in alcoves on the side walls. They both had balconies as well as "Dress Circles". The on a Southey is where the Tesco is now and the Barnsley Road location was the "Adelphi" bingo hall for a number of years but I believe it has since been demolished

There was actually a third Essoldo cinema in Sheffield as the Essoldo chain took over the old Cinema House in Ecclesfield around 1947.It was built in 1921 but was closed around 1959.Stood derelict for many years before being demolished and a public house built on the site.

The Lane Top Essoldo is still there, but now used as a carpet salesroom. It opened brand new as The Capitol in September 1939 - only to close a week later as the government closed all places of entertainment because of the war. They all soon reopened, they needed to restore morale. After it closed in 1975, it reopened a couple or so years later as Crown Bingo.

The proscenium arch is still visible inside the carpet showroom.A kind lady who works there showed it me a couple of years ago.Fascinating.

On 11/03/2007 at 21:58, Guest Dazza said:

I loved the Lane Top Esseldo. Saw all the 'big' films there. Zulu...all the Bond films...633 Squadron....Lawrence of Arabia...........Italian Job........the velour seats didn't half itch the back of your legs though.

1966-1970 was a regular at Lane Top Essoldo or Capitol as it was called, mostly twice a week, very often getting in for free. Boyfriends mother used to clean there and I agree those seats made you itch. If you wanted a drink etc, had to go down to the front to a lady holding a tray secured with a strap round her neck. Make any noise or if she thought you were "misbehaving" the usherette shone her torch on you. 

The last film I saw at the Cap was Tora, Tora, Tora. I took my young son. Years and years later we still remind one another when it is repeated for the umpteenth time on TV.

Loved those old cinema names - this is from the Chris Hobbs site  - https://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/forumsheffield.htm

"The name ESSOLDO has always been a mystery for some people. Where did it come from? Well, it's quite simple really, but a very clever manoeuvre. The man who originally started the firm, and still held the reins until his death in the mid sixties, was named SOLoman Sheckman. His wife's name was ESther, and his daughter's was DOrothy. Bring them into line and you have ESther - SOLoman - DOrothy. That is the honest truth, so help me"