Riverlin Valley forgotten sites

Guest me hi

hi every one, i'm another newbie to this forum.

i was wondering if any one could help me with information, accounts or pictures of the Riverlin Bridge wheel or Lido. i'm doing a presentation on the historic importance of the Riverlin Valley but cant seem to find any pictures of the old Bridge and wheel, and no information at all on the Lido.

any help would be greatly apprieciated.

regards, James G

Welcome Me Hi to Sheffield History. Try Picture Sheffield as a first try for pictures. I'm sure we've covered something about the Rivelin Lido before. Try the site Search facility. PM me if you get stuck or need help.

Laurence

Link to Picture Sheffield:

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/database_search.php

Found one Topic that you might like: http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...&hl=rivelin

Hi and welcome to the forum. Some info on the wheel.Rivelin Bridge Wheel (also known as the Hollins Bridge Corn Mill).

First leased in 1724 from the Norfolk estate to William Battie and James Balguy. There's reference in 1814 to a glass-grinding trough let to a lens maker called Chadburn. Conversion to a corn mill began in 1860. Nothing remains of the weir, head-race or buildings, and the river has been diverted along the line of the dam.

Unless you mean the Spooner Wheel, which was also known as Rivelin Bridge Wheel at one time? There are pictures of this one

The final lease of the Spooner Wheel in 1908 for 7 years to Samuel Staniforth reserved the right to convert the upper dam into a public swimming pool.

You can find all the details in "Water Power on the Sheffield Rivers" edited by David Crossley.