Sheffield's Roads & Bypasses

Guest westy

Right, i don't really know if this is the right area of the forum to post this but here goes:

I have been looking for some history on sheffield's road network and came across the following website http://www.d-zyne.demon.co.uk/srp-index.htm

which has turned up some interesting reading on some of sheffields roads although parts of the site relate to modern day there seems to be some nice historical parts aswell which i thought could be found interesting or useful to some of the members here.

If i have posted this in the wrong section them please feel free to move this to the correct part of the forum.

Ta

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the site - I'm sure someone can and will help you

And we'll all learn something new along the way I'm sure !

I don't know what you've found so far, but the map below is from an article in 'Aspects of Sheffield 1' edited by Mel Jones. It's from an article by Howard Smith about Sheffield's Turnpike Roads. (Sorry about the fold in the map but I think it's still readable!)

you could also try 'Packmen, Carriers and Packhorse Roads by David Hey.

I was talking to someone the other day I knew since I was a kid (now 41) and he didn't even relaise there was the underpass under the Arundel roundabout. Strange how much information people appear to forget or the everyday objects that people take no notice of.

I loved driving through there....I would go out of my way to drive through it..and was thinking about it today when I passed..wondering if we could dig it out and use it again!!

I loved driving through there....I would go out of my way to drive through it..and was thinking about it today when I passed..wondering if we could dig it out and use it again!!

I remember the underpass, actually I can remember them digging it out and filling it in, great to be old is'nt it

See this Google Earth photo, still shows the underpass after it was filled in but before Arundel gate changes were finished, even Google Earth is history.

Gone? so has the website

I asume you mean the under pass has gone, but which website are you referring to?

Edit

The Link in the opening post does not work, thats the trouble with links <_<

I asume you mean the under pass has gone, but which website are you referring to?

Edit

The Link in the opening post does not work, thats the trouble with links <_<

A little bit of digging - perhaps this is it now?

http://www.haydnvern...roads/roads.htm

(I looked up the old link in the internet archive and found a page stored there, then saw the distinctive company and personal name, google did the rest)

(postscript. I think all demon internet pages went the way of those old sheffield landmarks we mull over)