Royal Observer Corps in Sheffield

Guest cdp206

Dear all,

New here so hello!

This is a research request so excuse if it's on the wrong forum but here goes.

We are currently collecting research material for a publication (title to be decided) whose subject matter is the Royal Observer Corps in Sheffield (and latterly) South Yorkshire. Some points we would like to find out are:

Does anyone have information regarding the location of ROC posts during WW2? (I have already seen, elsewhere on the forums, a list of AA batteries).

Does anyone have any photos of the ROC in Sheffield/South Yorkshire - either during WW2 or the Cold War?

Can anyone point us in the right direction for documentation - manuals, procedures, organisation etc for the periods specified?

Do any member have any recollections of working for the UKWMO during the Cold War (and any Associations which may exist who we could contact. Yes, I know there's the Royal Observer Corps Association and they will be getting an e-mail!).

It would be nice to hear from post volunteers who served at the twelve South Yorkshire UKWMO posts.

Sorry if this is a tentative and slightly ambiguous request but at the moment, we are just at start of the research process. We will be visiting the Local Studies and the Archives in the near future but if anyone can help in the meantime, either post an answer here or PM me.

Many thanks all in advance,

Regards,

Chris

There is a royal observer corps post in beauchief (i assume you know this) there is also one in goldthorpe. I can't remember where the others are. There's not many in sheffield or indeed south yorkshire. They were often sited out of cities, what would be the point in trying to spot enemy aircraft (during the 2nd world war) as a measure of forewarning, when they are already over your city? The same applies to the nuclear monitoring, there is no point in siting a post where it is likely to be destroyed, therefore they are generally out in the countryside.

Actually i just remembered there's one in glossop too.

The contents of the post in Beauchief were donated to an aircraft museum near doncaster, i can't remember the name of it now, but it's the one that used to be at firbeck (on the outskirts of rotherham) before it moved to its new location.