MASSIVE Challenge !!!!

Sheffield History

Right you crazy lot !

I need some help for a friend who reads the site

We are looking for as much information on Howard st, Arundel st and Charles st and the buildings that have been there throughout history

When was the earliest mention of these streets ?

What kind of businesses have been there ?

Any names of people who lived or worked there ?

Right you crazy lot !

I need some help for a friend who reads the site

We are looking for as much information on Howard st, Arundel st and Charles st and the buildings that have been there throughout history

When was the earliest mention of these streets ?

What kind of businesses have been there ?

Any names of people who lived or worked there ?

Sorry it's a bit of a mess, my Word programme is having some sort of "bad letter" day.

List of Sheffield Streets for 1700 and 1825. All are mentioned in 1825 but not in the 1700 list. Well it's a start! (courtesy of Richard)

1700_1825_streets.txt

A map dated 1771 showing proposed new streets, so they were built at some time after that year.

Taken from this interesting link ... plant base Note: page twelve .. 13.3.3

Howard Sreet house

The land on which these streets were built belonged to the Duke of Norfolk, who was Lord of the Manor. The area was developed during the time of Charles , (hence Charles Street and Lane), the 10th Duke of Norfolk, (hence Norfolk Street) between 1720 and 1786. The family name was Howard, and he was also Earl of Arundel, with Arundel Castle as his family seat, hence the other names. So if Steve's map shows them proposed in 1771, and the area was developed by 1786, we can presumably pin it down to between 1771 and 1786. Any advance on that?

Is it just me or have the dates all gone messed up on picture sheffield? where there used to be dates it's now become messed up.. anyway wish I could remember the exact dates for these. I guess from the cars it looks like 50's in the first and 60's in the second? late 60's?

number one

Arundel Street at the junction of Howard Street, showing No 25, The Wee Cutlery Shop (proprietor F. Dodd) and No 29, The Sheffield Smelting Company.jpg

number two

Arundel Street at junction with Howard Street, showing No 25, The Wee Cutlery Shop (proprietor F. Dodd) and the College of Technology.jpg

I'm sure you've seen them before but there's loads of Howard street on picture sheffield

Below: Howard Street, premises include No 82, Mrs E. Moore, Hairdressers, No 80, Abbey Glen Laundry Co., No 78, Edward Willis Ltd., Butchers, No 76, Harold Brook (News) Ltd., No 72, Arthur Davy & Sons, Provision Dealers, County Hotel

Guest Leipzig

There on Arundel Street, only temporarily at the time of the 1871 census, was Quaglieni's Circus Royal in a 'Wooden Tent' (RG10/4685/53 page 43). It would seem to have been located where properties had been knocked down.

Guest altyowl

Thanks everyone for the information, its really helped. I'm undertaking a site survey of the area for a Planning project and thought learning about area would be useful also.