Grimesthorpe School Teachers

johnm

I went to Grimesthorpe School from 1951 to 1955 and have come across my old school autograph book and find I have a lot of teachers names in it.

These are the names : H. Ambler , D Broadhead, Mr Mayson, H Briggs, N J Williams, M J Board, A Hanson, N Peat, J W Anderson, M Heaney, M J Brewer , M Todd , Enid Bradshaw, M E Carter & RJ S Tennenburg (it looks like). Also a name J N Stubbing who may or may not have been a teacher there.

Any other ex-Grimesthorpe pupils remember these names or have memories of time spent at Grimesthorpe school ?

John

i was born in 1956 so was there a little later than you , the only teacher i can remamber was a mrs jackson black hair and lots of makeup

Guest richy59driver

i was born in 1956 so was there a little later than you , the only teacher i can remamber was a mrs jackson black hair and lots of makeup

I was born in 1955 so would have been there round about the same time as you. Can you remember a teacher there who had a jar of sweets? He rewarded you if your work was good. Cant for the life of me think of his name.

I went to Grimesthorpe School from 1951 to 1955 and have come across my old school autograph book and find I have a lot of teachers names in it.

These are the names : H. Ambler , D Broadhead, Mr Mayson, H Briggs, N J Williams, M J Board, A Hanson, N Peat, J W Anderson, M Heaney, M J Brewer , M Todd , Enid Bradshaw, M E Carter & RJ S Tennenburg (it looks like). Also a name J N Stubbing who may or may not have been a teacher there.

Any other ex-Grimesthorpe pupils remember these names or have memories of time spent at Grimesthorpe school ?

John

I am a school governor at Whiteways Junior School and we found we had the log books for Grimesthorpe School for 1875 to 1893 and 1949 to 1969. I wrote out extracts from the books before passing them on to Local Archives. I understand they will be made available once restoration work has been done (there was some damp damage).If anyone would like a copy of the extracts please let me know and I will email them to you.

I am a school governor at Whiteways Junior School and we found we had the log books for Grimesthorpe School for 1875 to 1893 and 1949 to 1969. I wrote out extracts from the books before passing them on to Local Archives. I understand they will be made available once restoration work has been done (there was some damp damage).If anyone would like a copy of the extracts please let me know and I will email them to you.

I do transcribing for the Sheffield Indexers http://sheff-indexers.thewholeshebang.org/ and am about to start transcribing the Grimesthorpe School Admission Registers . Over coming weeks, if you go onto the site and look under School records you should see Grimesthorpe data start appearing.

John

Guest Bev Hill

Have you any info for a Louie Smith birth about 1880 she may ave other members of family at school with her eg Clara or Charles

Bev Hill

Hi Minimo,Did you also have the school admission registers for Grimesthorpe? Sheffield Indexers have only transcribed Grimesthorpe schoool admission registers from 1913 - 1925 for girls & 1928 for boys. I went there in Sept 1951 I think & would like to see my entry if possible.

John

I was born in 1955 so would have been there round about the same time as you. Can you remember a teacher there who had a jar of sweets? He rewarded you if your work was good. Cant for the life of me think of his name.

Hi I can remember the teacher i think is name was Mr Winlow not sure of the spelling,

he also used to smoke little cigs the size of matches i remember the sweets used to be torpedoes

Guest SpeedyJ

I was at Grimesthorpe for the last two years of it being a Junior School then moved to the newly built Whiteways Middle School as part of its first intake. Mrs Jackson was still going then and we taking mid 70's. In fact she must have still been teaching up to the end of 70's/early 80's as she helped me out with some public speech coaching when I was at Earl Marshal (and I left 6th form 1981). She kept the trademark black hair and heavy makeup all the time I can remember. Brilliant teacher. Had the respect of the kids I went to school with.