Wild Family

Guest novice

Just to say that I am here and tracing my Family tree just in case anyone else is too...Wild's...based in and around Totley, Whiteley Woods, Broomhall Road, Portland Lane, Pitt Street.

Welcome to the site, Novice, hope you find what you're looking for. If you haven't found it already, check the Sheffield Sites section, lots of info to be had. Good Luck!

Just to say that I am here and tracing my Family tree just in case anyone else is too...Wild's...based in and around Totley, Whiteley Woods, Broomhall Road, Portland Lane, Pitt Street.

Can you give us more details.

Lois

I'm a Wild too but my branch is based around Wybourn and Neepsend.

I'm a Wild too but my branch is based around Wybourn and Neepsend.

Well, my Grandfather and Grandmother are from Wybourn around 1900-1930 approxiamately, so you never know! Be interesting to know which ones yours are.

Guest ernie wild

Hi Everybody,

My surname is wild, and most of my family came from the Wybourn, and prior to that, around St Vincents, Hollis Croft, and the Solly street area, with connections to the surnames of Mirfin, Struggles, and Collins, among others, do these ring any bells?

cheers Ernie (jnr)

Guest big alan

Hi Everybody,

My surname is wild, and most of my family came from the Wybourn, and prior to that, around St Vincents, Hollis Croft, and the Solly street area, with connections to the surnames of Mirfin, Struggles, and Collins, among others, do these ring any bells?

cheers Ernie (jnr)

Hi All,

I have a friend called James Wild who was born at the Ship Inn Shalesmoor, which was run by his father Vincent, and his father before him. Could he be a relative of yours ? its not far from Hollis Croft

Regards Big Al

Hi All,

I have a friend called James Wild who was born at the Ship Inn Shalesmoor, which was run by his father Vincent, and his father before him. Could he be a relative of yours ? its not far from Hollis Croft

Regards Big Al

Does your friend James have any evidence of the time his Father or Grandfather had The Ship, I'd be most interested; almost anything, Birth, Marriage, Death Certificates, License dates, pictures of him/them/the Pub; letters (interested in dating their time at the Pub not the contents of the letter !).

My Grandfather and Great Grand Father lived on Dixon Street (Royal Lancers) but real, real close by. You may have noticed I'm quite interested (obsessed ??) by old Sheffield Pubs. I don't, as yet, know of any Wild's - but there are always gaps to be filled.

Ship Inn 284 Shalesmoor (also known as 312 Shalesmoor)

William Ibbotson 1849-1871

William Pattinson 1881

Albert Edward Grundy 1901

Edmund Taylor Murthwaite 1905

Frederick Rodgers 1911

Joseph Milner 1951

Any update on the stories of Tunnels under the Pub ? etc etc

Did I mention obsessed ? :huh:

Guest big alan

Does your friend James have any evidence of the time his Father or Grandfather had The Ship, I'd be most interested; almost anything, Birth, Marriage, Death Certificates, License dates, pictures of him/them/the Pub; letters (interested in dating their time at the Pub not the contents of the letter !).

My Grandfather and Great Grand Father lived on Dixon Street (Royal Lancers) but real, real close by. You may have noticed I'm quite interested (obsessed ??) by old Sheffield Pubs. I don't, as yet, know of any Wild's - but there are always gaps to be filled.

Ship Inn 284 Shalesmoor (also known as 312 Shalesmoor)

William Ibbotson 1849-1871

William Pattinson 1881

Albert Edward Grundy 1901

Edmund Taylor Murthwaite 1905

Frederick Rodgers 1911

Joseph Milner 1951

Any update on the stories of Tunnels under the Pub ? etc etc

Did I mention obsessed ? :huh:

Heyup, Didn't expect a reply so soon. I'll be seeing James in the near future, so I'll be asking for some of the things you mentioned. I do know that James was born 10th April 1952 - so maybe Joseph Milner was his Grandfather on his mothers side ? Will be in touch.

Strange though it may seem, we (SheffieldHistory) have a better understanding and knowledge of Pubs and Keepers in 1851 than we do of 1951 - mainly my fault, it's my emphasis and interest, I gave up researching Pubs with any real interest from about 1900. So although we have some modern places on the list we have no knowledge of dates or keepers - unless anyone cares to contribute ?

Hi All,

Regards Big Al

Hi

Just put my name into google and this sheffield link came up - my fathers name was henry mirfin and his father was ernest mirfin. i remember my father saying to me when i was a child that his family lived in solly street. i know that he was part of a large family in sheffield he left to join the army and moved down to kent. Can anyone out there give me any info regarding this?

Ernie mirfin

hello Ernie,

Welcome to the site!

Can you give give us some idea of the timescale? - When was your father born? What was your grandfather's occupation?

Hugh

hello Ernie,

Welcome to the site!

Can you give give us some idea of the timescale? - When was your father born? What was your grandfather's occupation?

Hugh

Hi Hugh

i have just got some more information from my sister, my father was born in 1909 and he was one of a family of six - four girls Nelly,Ada,lilly, and Joyce his brothers name was Ernest. his fathers name was also Ernest and his mother was Ada and they lived at 34 Waldon street Arbathorn (?spelling) i think his father was a cutler and my fathers ist job was down the mine until he joined the army. thats about all i know......

Best wishes

Ernie

hello Ernest,

This is the GRO index entry for the marriage of Ernest MIRFIN and Ada BARLOW:

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1908

MIRFIN Ernest

BARLOW Ada

Sheffield 9c 1018

If you want to find out more about the previous generation you will need to buy a marriage certificate. You can do that online on this site, using the above reference, or at Sheffield Register Office in the Town Hall.

These are the entries in the Birth index for the children including one daughter, Amelia, who died in infancy:

GRO Births DEC Qtr 1908

MIRFIN Ernest

Sheffield 9c 498

GRO Births DEC Qtr 1909

MIRFIN Henry

Sheffield 9c 508

GRO Births DEC Qtr 1911

MIRFIN Ada (mother's maiden name: BARLOW)

Sheffield 9c 1060

GRO Births SEP Qtr 1913

MIRFIN Amelia (mmn BARLOW)

Sheffield 9c 1089

[GRO Deaths MAR Qtr 1914

MIRFIN Amelia 0 [that is, age less than 1]

Sheffield 9c 610]

GRO Births JUN Qtr 1915

MIRFIN Nellie (mmn BARLOW)

Sheffield 9c 989

GRO Births JUN Qtr 1918

MIRFIN Lily (mmn BARLOW)

Sheffield 9c 833

GRO Births JUN Qtr 1923

MIRFIN Joyce (mmn BARLOW)

Sheffield 9c 874

Is the place where they lived Walden Road? This, I'm guessing would have been later, in the 30's. I don't think it had been built when the children were born.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh

This has certainly wetted my appetite for finding out more about my parents family tree, didn't know about the child that died - i am going to obtain the marriage certificate and carry on with the investigation, again many thanks for your help...........

Ernie.

I know it has been awhile since anyone posted but remembered while researching my own family coming across WILD from an extract in Reminiscences of Old Sheffield.

"In 1825, the constables were Thomas Smith,

keeper of Scotland street Gaol; Thomas Flather and John Waterfall. The

assistant constables were John Waterfall, jun., James Wild and William

Bland.

LEIGHTON: Wild, the constable, lived at one time in a house at the

bottom of North Church street, opposite the old Queen street chapel

school-room; and subsequently in Queen street, opposite the chapel.

EVERARD: It is a little curious and very creditable that sons of both

Wild and Waterfall became bank managers."

Maybe this is one of your family

Terrie

Guest jiffy

Found this link with Google and joined up.

Novice & Ernie

My wife's wild ancestry is as follows

Her great grandfather Herbert Edwin Wild born Sheffield 1867 moved to Teesside just before the end of the century.

He was son of Edwin Wild (1838-1911) and Eliza nee Birkenshaw.

Edwin was son of Samuel Wild b Totley 1793 d Sheffield 1869 and wife Elizabeth

Any connections?

Guest hellsbells

Hi,

I am researching my family tree and have connections to these addresses. Joseph Wild was a saw handle maker and lived in Broomhall Street in the 1851 census. By 1861 he was listed at Whiteley Wood Works. I believe he was married to Elizabeth South and they were married at the Parish Church in Rotherham in 1839. Joseph's father was also named Joseph and he was a millwright, born in Rotherham. Joseph and Elizabeth had a son John who married Lydia Dearman, who had a son Herbert Edward Wild, he married Sarah Ann Scott and they had a son, Joseph; he was my husband's grandfather.

Hi,

I am researching my family tree and have connections to these addresses. Joseph Wild was a saw handle maker and lived in Broomhall Street in the 1851 census. By 1861 he was listed at Whiteley Wood Works. I believe he was married to Elizabeth South and they were married at the Parish Church in Rotherham in 1839. Joseph's father was also named Joseph and he was a millwright, born in Rotherham. Joseph and Elizabeth had a son John who married Lydia Dearman, who had a son Herbert Edward Wild, he married Sarah Ann Scott and they had a son, Joseph; he was my husband's grandfather.

Hello and Welcome to the site, I hope you find some answers and pose us some questions also !

Making no claims whatsoever relating to these - just for your information ...

Edward WILD Butcher 132 South Street Moor & 76 Broomhall Street

Miss Eliza WILD Confectioner 112 Broomhall Street

both from Kelly's 1893 Directory.

Hi,

Hi Hells bells, sorry for the very very late reply (haven't been on here for ages because my mail address has changed so I didn't get notification of your response)

The family you are describing sounds exactly the same as mine!!...I had to look at the post a few times as I thought I had written it!!! Joseph (your husbands grandfather) must have been my grandfather's brother. (my Grandfather died two weeks ago)

Please post again, I would be able to show you all the research I have

Regards