Fireworks

Guest Genie602

Guest Genie602

Hello Everyone,

Call me old fashioned if you want to but I would really love to return to the days when Bonfire Night was on November 5th and not anytime between September and January!

It is not even half term until next week but already there are people messing about with fireworks, I heard the first one at 2.30pm today. I can only think that it is kids doing this, although I have no proof. If it is kids, where are they getting them from and what possible pleasure do they get from letting them off in broad daylight?

When I was young Bonfire night was a very special time, even though I wasn't very keen on the bangs. We used to have a special tea, usually baked potatoes and loads of Lurpak butter, and for those who liked them there were roast chestnuts. We had a small bonfire in the back garden and everything was over by 9 - 10pm.

In later years we used to go to the school bonfire and play find the dog afterwards!! He was always cowering under my parent's bed.

I have 2 cats and a dog, the cats are ok but the dog has to be sedated because he hates the noise.

End of rant - thankyou for reading.

Genie602

Guest plain talker

Hello Everyone,

Call me old fashioned if you want to but I would really love to return to the days when Bonfire Night was on November 5th and not anytime between September and January!

It is not even half term until next week but already there are people messing about with fireworks, I heard the first one at 2.30pm today. I can only think that it is kids doing this, although I have no proof. If it is kids, where are they getting them from and what possible pleasure do they get from letting them off in broad daylight?

When I was young Bonfire night was a very special time, even though I wasn't very keen on the bangs. We used to have a special tea, usually baked potatoes and loads of Lurpak butter, and for those who liked them there were roast chestnuts. We had a small bonfire in the back garden and everything was over by 9 - 10pm.

In later years we used to go to the school bonfire and play find the dog afterwards!! He was always cowering under my parent's bed.

I have 2 cats and a dog, the cats are ok but the dog has to be sedated because he hates the noise.

End of rant - thankyou for reading.

Genie602

genie, you are quite right.

fireworks are a total pain in the neck, when the brain-dead cretins are setting them off at all hours of the day or night.

only this evening, at about 4.45, I was toddling my way home, up the hill from the bus stop. and even though it was light, some lackwit let a firework off, which exploded above me, with a noise level that I am SURE was illegal.

it scared the living daylights out of me, as I wasn't expecting it to go of, particualrly in daylight!

I'm glad my father's timid old dog is no longer with us. She was an utter nervous wreck on bonfire night, she detested fireworks, and would even freak out if there were fireworks or gunfire on TV.

I have said this elsewhere, but I stand by my comment:_

Way back when, when we had firework "night", or a weekend of it, if November 5th fell on a weekend, it wasn't so bad. As you say, the noise was confined to a day. or just a couple oef days. So, you could get a sedative for your dog/ cat if it was particularly timid, and just have the dog/ cat chilled out for the night.

Thing is, how do you sedate your pet for weeks on end? there's no rotten respite from the explosions. As I type this, I've got some cretin letting the flaming things off across the street. flippin prat!

Fireworks should be banned, except for specific, authorised, professional displays.

I don't see the point in paying £50, £100, £150 and more for a box of firearms - sorry, I mean fireworks, when you can go to something like the council's "after Dark" display for a fiver a head. You might as well just set light to a bundle of £50 notes.

Guest Genie602

genie, you are quite right.

fireworks are a total pain in the neck, when the brain-dead cretins are setting them off at all hours of the day or night.

only this evening, at about 4.45, I was toddling my way home, up the hill from the bus stop. and even though it was light, some lackwit let a firework off, which exploded above me, with a noise level that I am SURE was illegal.

it scared the living daylights out of me, as I wasn't expecting it to go of, particualrly in daylight!

I'm glad my father's timid old dog is no longer with us. She was an utter nervous wreck on bonfire night, she detested fireworks, and would even freak out if there were fireworks or gunfire on TV.

I have said this elsewhere, but I stand by my comment:_

Way back when, when we had firework "night", or a weekend of it, if November 5th fell on a weekend, it wasn't so bad. As you say, the noise was confined to a day. or just a couple oef days. So, you could get a sedative for your dog/ cat if it was particularly timid, and just have the dog/ cat chilled out for the night.

Thing is, how do you sedate your pet for weeks on end? there's no rotten respite from the explosions. As I type this, I've got some cretin letting the flaming things off across the street. flippin prat!

Fireworks should be banned, except for specific, authorised, professional displays.

I don't see the point in paying £50, £100, £150 and more for a box of firearms - sorry, I mean fireworks, when you can go to something like the council's "after Dark" display for a fiver a head. You might as well just set light to a bundle of £50 notes.

Hi PlainTalker,

I do hope you have recovered from the shock. We have had fireworks every night for 2 weeks now, I suppose someone will have them tonight cos it is halloween!!

Thanks for your comments.

Genie602

Must admit, fireworks are one thing I don't miss about England. They do get set off here for the New Year celebrations, but are nearly all organised by the local council. Halloween is celebrated also, but without the trick or treat vandalism that seems to be the norm over there.

Guest Genie602

Hi tsavo,

I think I ought to move to Portugal, from what you say it sounds far more civilised than this country! It wouldn't be so bad if they just set off the quieter things like Roman Candles and Rockets instead of these things that sound like bombs going off. I have worked with the elderly for the last 30 years and some of the people have become very distressed by the noise - they think the war has started again.

Genie602

Letting off fireworks, indiscriminately, is just another form of vandalism. We are now getting graffiti. White painted walls and buildings are a great temptation, but we can walk the streets after dark, something I was cautious of in the UK.

Guest plain talker

Here in south-central Sheffield, It's more like south-central LA... or s-c Beirut!

We STILL have the brain-deads, letting off the fireworks, and it's over a week, now, since bonfire night.

It's nothing but an utter, pigging, pain in the neck.

Thanks for your concern, Genie, yeah, I'm doing ok after the fright, thanks, I'm more irritated than anything, cos it's just such a flaming nusaince, and totally unnecesary.

Guest Genie602

Here in south-central Sheffield, It's more like south-central LA... or s-c Beirut!

We STILL have the brain-deads, letting off the fireworks, and it's over a week, now, since bonfire night.

It's nothing but an utter, pigging, pain in the neck.

Thanks for your concern, Genie, yeah, I'm doing ok after the fright, thanks, I'm more irritated than anything, cos it's just such a flaming nusaince, and totally unnecesary.

Hi Plain Talker,

Glad you are ok - people seem to be having bonfire parties like they do barbecues in the summer - in other words whenever they feel like it! Even a local school held a bonfire on November 9th. A real problem are these bucket shops that have temporary lets between October and New Year. This means fireworks are continually available. In my locality four outlets were fined for selling fireworks to underage children. These outlets should be closed down and never allowed to sell fireworks again.

Genie602