City Road

sando

HI

I noticed as I was sat at the traffic lights on City Road, just above the juntion with Granville Road, that the front gardens of some houses on the right have walls made of MASSIVE stone blocks, has anyone any knowledge as to why these stones are so large, they must have taken some moving into position?

Mark

HI

I noticed as I was sat at the traffic lights on City Road, just above the juntion with Granville Road, that the front gardens of some houses on the right have walls made of MASSIVE stone blocks, has anyone any knowledge as to why thses stones are so large, they must have taken some moving into position?

Mark

Also Why are there Iron Railings around the cemetery?

No one on the outside wants to get in, and no one on the inside can get out lol

Guest lambretta

HI

I noticed as I was sat at the traffic lights on City Road, just above the juntion with Granville Road, that the front gardens of some houses on the right have walls made of MASSIVE stone blocks, has anyone any knowledge as to why these stones are so large, they must have taken some moving into position?

Mark

The same on Gleadless road on the left just after Cat Lane the houses pos just pre war stand well back in elevated position, could they be from St Pauls church[peace gardens] demolished 1937.Roy.

The same on Gleadless road on the left just after Cat Lane the houses pos just pre war stand well back in elevated position, could they be from St Pauls church[peace gardens] demolished 1937.Roy.

I wondered if the ones on City road were from Sheffield Manor, as it is only a few 100 yards away.

Mark

The stones in the walls on city road are between 4 and 6 feet long and about 12 to 18 inches high, so it is doubtfull they were quaried for a garden wall.

Mark

The stones in the walls on city road are between 4 and 6 feet long and about 12 to 18 inches high, so it is doubtfull they were quaried for a garden wall.

Mark

Hi sando, I may have an answer to this mystery.

To start with what appear to be stone blocks are only about three to four inches thick so .. more like flag stones and are supported at the rear with a brick wall.

And just below the houses near to the corner of Ganville Road there is an old Stone Masons yard,

the roof on the old workshop in that yard is made of what appears to be the same flat stone.

So my guess is that the stones used in the walls came from the Masons yard at some time,

perhaps as a repair? And are not part of the original buildings in 1896.

Nice work Steve. can I offer another suggestion? Might they be re-cycled gravestones from a churchyard/ cemetery that's been removed at some time in the past? They turn up all over the place, used by stonemasons for repairs etc. The retaining wall on the river Porter near the Ibbotson dam is a classic case. If you look carefully you can see ornamentation on some of them. The photo shows a couple that have been washed out, but there are a lot in the wall above.

Nice work Steve. can I offer another suggestion? Might they be re-cycled gravestones from a churchyard/ cemetery that's been removed at some time in the past? They turn up all over the place, used by stonemasons for repairs etc. The retaining wall on the river Porter near the Ibbotson dam is a classic case. If you look carefully you can see ornamentation on some of them. The photo shows a couple that have been washed out, but there are a lot in the wall above.

G3 could have been a paupers plot, G3 41 has paupers in it,

G3 could have been a paupers plot, G3 41 has paupers in it,

And it was in the area cleared by the look of it. Seems a fair bet doesn't it?

And it was in the area cleared by the look of it. Seems a fair bet doesn't it?

Yep the area cleared was below the centre path, and took my ancestors with it,

another bright bit of thinking by the City custodians.