Old House on Crookesmoor Road

docmel

When I was a teenager back in the mid 60's we used to play in the grounds of an old house. this was on the corner of Crookesmoor Road and Conduit Road. In its time it must have been huge because it took up the whole block going round onto Redcar Road from Conduit.

When we played there all that remained of the house were a few fragments of walls and a large fireplace.

It came back to me the other day when I saw someone on TV building a tree house. We built one in the grounds of this old place - and memories came flooding back.

Does anyone know if its history?

Hi

We had simmilar adventures in houses around Ranmoor, many were empty but intact and some were just ruins. I remember one house had a lake in the garden and we made a raft and played on the lake, another house had a 9 hole golf course in the garden, which we used often during the summers of 1971/72 i think. We slid down banisters, explored enormous cellars and atics, made dens in the garden and swings in the trees, and lived off fruit from the vegetable gardens.

All of these houses were obviously haunted, especially in the fertile minds of a group of 12/13 year olds. These were the houses of the old steel magnates and I think one belonged to one of the brothers who founded Cole Brothers.

Great days, great adventures.

Most of the houses are still there, restored to offices or appartments, but they bring back fantastic memories of adventure when I drive past.

Mark

When I was a teenager back in the mid 60's we used to play in the grounds of an old house. this was on the corner of Crookesmoor Road and Conduit Road. In its time it must have been huge because it took up the whole block going round onto Redcar Road from Conduit.

When we played there all that remained of the house were a few fragments of walls and a large fireplace.

It came back to me the other day when I saw someone on TV building a tree house. We built one in the grounds of this old place - and memories came flooding back.

Does anyone know if its history?

Hi, I guess this would have been Crookesmoor House built and occupied by Henry Elliot Hoole of Green Lane Works fame, he was Lord Mayor in 1842 and Master Cutler in 1860 in its' later years it was divided into flats and now the area belongs to the university.

Hi, I guess this would have been Crookesmoor House built and occupied by Henry Elliot Hoole of Green Lane Works fame, he was Lord Mayor in 1842 and Master Cutler in 1860 in its' later years it was divided into flats and now the area belongs to the university.

Thanks Huthwaite

Now I know this info I guess I will do a bit of searching to see if I can find any old pics etc

Once again, many thanks

Thanks Huthwaite

Now I know this info I guess I will do a bit of searching to see if I can find any old pics etc

Once again, many thanks

No problems lol you are more than welcome, will be chuffed to see a picture of it, I cannot find a thing

Hi there . The link picture depicts the building on the opposite corner of the junction. It used to be a church but is now owned by the university.

I remember in the early seventies playing in the grounds of the old house but at that time the house had already been demolished.

On 31/10/2007 at 17:57, huthwaite said:

(I realise this is an old thread!)

I can find no evidence that HE Hoole was ever Master Cutler. He is not on this list.

He was Mayor in 1859-60 (no *Lord* Mayors in Sheffield until 1897)

Curiously the same spurious date appears on the Sheffield Public Art Site (Hallam University) in the description of the monumental arch Hoole built at the Green Lane Works to celebrate his term as Mayor. That site claims the date 1842 is on one of the bronze plaques but you can see from their own photo that it says 1860.

We used to play in there as kids in the early '60s, too, docmel. It was the only really 'wild' place for miles around. I remember there was an old overgrown vegetable garden in there and it had fantastic rhubarb still growing, which I used to take home for my mum to make pies with.

I lived round the corner on Bower Road and went to cubs and then scouts in the Unitarian Church opposite this corner. Happy days!image.png.13887821c2d35a254b550f191167da56.png

8 hours ago, miked said:

I cant find a pic either. Interested because it was a house burgled by Charles Peace and need a pic for my book.

Interested to read this when is it due ?

18 hours ago, RichardB said:

Interested to read this when is it due ?

Been on the go for years, got the info just needs putting together and finding a publisher. I am focusing on Arthur Dyson and family since other people not really covered that part. No point doing thing other people have done. I do talks .