Taggys Ice cream

Guest billyblade

Guest billyblade

One for the Heeley crowd here.

Can't believe no one has started a topic about Taggys Ice cream.

I remember the parents liked it more than the kids, cue memories of people queueing at the vans with Pyrex dishes, Saucepans etc. to have filled up from the van so they could put it in the freezer.This got them their "fix" until the van came round again.(Was this the secret?, addictive euphoric ingredients?).

7.20 pm on a Friday on our road (Anns Road North).

I remember it being a strange sort of translucent colour rather than pure white.

Anybody got the recipe so I can stop the shakes he he

Billyblade.

Guest billyblade

OOPS!

Can someone move this post to a relevant position, Don't know why its ended up here!

Red-faced Billyblade.

Guest plain talker

Taggy's was simply " heaven-in-a-cornet"! lol

My late mother would only entertain Taggy's Ice cream, and no other. She, too was of the opinion that there was none could compare with their creamy deliciousness!

sadly I believe the recipie died off with old man taggy, when he passed away in the mid 1970's, and the company seemed to fold.

I do wish we could have those days back again.

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but...

Believe it or not, I've found an ice cream that comes very very close to Taggys!

It's called 'Sweet Cream' and it's sold by a company called "Cold Stone Creamery". Cold Stone Creamery was started in Arizona in the 1980s and it's now going international, with franchise stores in China and Taiwan. They are looking to expand in the UK, so it's possible that an ice cream with a flavour close to that of Taggy's will come back to Sheffield.

It is REALLY close. It has that same sweet yet subtle flavour that Taggy's had. I remember the Taggy's flavour well and I've been looking for that taste for years. I'd even considered trying to replicate it myself, as the flavour was burned into my memory.

Until last night I'd never found anything that came close. I'd say this stuff is uncannily close to the Taggy's flavour. It's not precisely the same (as if anything that wasn't made by the man himself could be), but it's certainly 1000% closer than anything else similar that I've tried. It's almost as if the ghost of Mr. Taggy guided the hand of the person making this recipe.

If anyone here is in the US, or if you're visiting soon, look up a store (http://www.coldstonecreamery.com), grab a bite and confirm for yourself that this stuff is really close to Taggy's.

Guest davekowl

Taggys icecream was the ultimate enjoyment. My aunty lived on Bowler St at Heeley Green and my mother and me used to visit her every Friday. The only reason I went with a smile on my face was because I knew she would buy me a big bowl of the stuff. It was heaven.

I don't mind admitting that I didn't like Taggy's.

I was a Manfredi's fan (except when on the odd occasion Wall's or Mr Whippy turned up.)

Mmmmmmmmm. Wall's rectangular block of ice cream in a rectangular cornet

Wall's rectangular block of ice cream in a rectangular cornet

Wall's? Honestly? Wall's? Are we talking about the same Wall's: that sickly, mediocre and oily ice cream that was the embarrassment of the British Empire?

I mean Wall's is to Ice Cream what McDonalds is to haute cuisine. I honestly don't see how anyone could prefer it to anything but Mr. Softee or the Mr. Softee clone Mr. Whippy. All three are mass produced characterless commuter ice creams designed by committee to be merely as palateable as possible while maximizing profit margins. Taggy's was made in the old way, by artists who wanted to create a unique and truly pleasurable ice cream experience.

Next you'll be saying that Walls is better than Italian gelato.

Excuse me Beery but what about:

(Cream, Nonfat Milk, Milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Guar Gum, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Mono & Diglycerides, Polysorbate 80, and Annatto Extract), FRENCH VANILLA (Corn Syrup, Water, Pasteurized Egg Yolks, Sugar, Water, Natural Flavor, Natural Color (Annatto and Tumeric), Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (preservatives))?

(this is the ingredients for Cold Stone Creamery's "French Vanilla" ice cream which is based on the Sweet Cream ice cream that you advocated earlier.)

Oh and I see from their web site that they are offering franchises (to maximise their profits no doubt) to sell their large range of ice creams that were probably "designed by a commitee" too!

hi

When we were kids growing up in Heeley in the 60s we were led to believe, that Mr Taggy used Goats Milk, to give it the unique flavour. Can any one else confirm this as i remember they kept Goats next to the house, well before the Farm arrived.

I grew up in Heeley in the '60s too, but I was led to understand that he used Channel Island Milk. Having tasted goat's milk cheese I would tend to think that Goat's milk would not be compatible with ice cream, but I may be wrong.

"Oh and I see from their web site that they are offering franchises (to maximise their profits no doubt) to sell their large range of ice creams that were probably "designed by a commitee" too!"

If it tastes like Taggy's, to be honest I probably wouldn't care if it was made by a brutal Central American dictatorship who employed child labour in sweatshops. But my point was that Walls, compared to Taggy's was like excrement compared to cream, and anyone who thinks differently probably needs their taste buds examining.

Guest Barneyboco

Having worked for Taggy's for many years, as a schoolboy, I can confirm that his ice cream was made using Jersey milk supplied by Express Dairy

This appeared on all of his fleet of vans.

The true taste of Taggy's could only be appreciated at 06.30 a.m. on a freezing winter's morning straight from the ice cream maker. Heaven

Guest Unitedite

Having worked for Taggy's for many years, as a schoolboy, I can confirm that his ice cream was made using Jersey milk supplied by Express Dairy

This appeared on all of his fleet of vans.

The true taste of Taggy's could only be appreciated at 06.30 a.m. on a freezing winter's morning straight from the ice cream maker. Heaven

As one of the supplier's of milk to Taggy's in the early 1980's, I too can confirm that the recipe contained, pasteurised, full cream, channel islands' milk.

This channel island's milk comes from the Jersey and Guernsey cattle breeds and is distinguishable from conventional full cream milk by it's higher percentage of butterfat [+5.0 % as opposed to +3.5 %] and it's creamier flavour and colour.

Taggy's used to purchase roughly 100 to 120 gallons per week and this was until the end, delivered in 10 gallon, aluminium milk churns.

The only other ingredients used were granulated white sugar and cornflour. No idea as to the percentage addition, but I seem to think neither was over 5 % by weight and probably, much less.

He used to make the icecream in an old, vertical barrelled freezer, which looked a lot like an old fashioned vertical drum washing machine, but with a brine chilling jacket and fabricated from stainless steel, not mild steel. Afterwards, the resultant mixture was "aged" overnight in a freezer chamber.

The house cum office was at the front as I recall and the ice cream "factory" in a single storey brick building at the very back of the yard.

I would guess that the company went out of business about 1985 or thereabouts.

Hope that this helps. It's a long time since I've thought about Taggy's Icecream.

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but...

Believe it or not, I've found an ice cream that comes very very close to Taggys!

It's called 'Sweet Cream' and it's sold by a company called "Cold Stone Creamery". Cold Stone Creamery was started in Arizona in the 1980s and it's now going international, with franchise stores in China and Taiwan. They are looking to expand in the UK, so it's possible that an ice cream with a flavour close to that of Taggy's will come back to Sheffield.

It is REALLY close. It has that same sweet yet subtle flavour that Taggy's had. I remember the Taggy's flavour well and I've been looking for that taste for years. I'd even considered trying to replicate it myself, as the flavour was burned into my memory.

Until last night I'd never found anything that came close. I'd say this stuff is uncannily close to the Taggy's flavour. It's not precisely the same (as if anything that wasn't made by the man himself could be), but it's certainly 1000% closer than anything else similar that I've tried. It's almost as if the ghost of Mr. Taggy guided the hand of the person making this recipe.

If anyone here is in the US, or if you're visiting soon, look up a store (http://www.coldstonecreamery.com), grab a bite and confirm for yourself that this stuff is really close to Taggy's.

I grew up on Wostenholm Road and most of my mates lived round the back on South View Road. The Taggy's van was a regular visitor to those parts and I was a big fan. Nowadays I live in Utah via a 30year stint in Jersey (of the cows fame - and their locally made ice cream is pretty good too I hasten to add), so I think I'll be off to Cold Stone tomorrow to do a testing and submit a report!

Guest wayne jenkinson

I remember the parents liked it more than the kids, cue memories of people queueing at the vans with Pyrex dishes, Saucepans etc. to have filled up from the van so they could put it in the freezer.This got them their "fix" until the van came round again.(Was this the secret?, addictive euphoric ingredients?).

I remember it being a strange sort of translucent colour rather than pure white.

Billyblade.

Nah Den!

Just having this convo earlier! tryin to explain the delight's of the blue-white translucent local desert legend.Old man Taggy used to spend a lot of time and money in my uncle's betting office on London rd, rumour has it He hated his family so when he died so did the recipe!!!! i love him already, and his delicious desert! we should get Derek Acorah on this one!

Guest Tykeblade

Billyblade.

For starters it was made from Channel Island gold top milk.

Heavy on the vanilla essence. Factory located on VIEW RD twixt Gleadless Rd and Spencer road.

Shop was on Gleadless Rd opposite bottom of View rd

Recipe went to grave with Taggy himself, but I met one of his workers who said he could

still remember how to make it. Alas I've lost touch with him now.

For starters it was made from Channel Island gold top milk.

Heavy on the vanilla essence. Factory located on VIEW RD twixt Gleadless Rd and Spencer road.

Shop was on Gleadless Rd opposite bottom of View rd

Recipe went to grave with Taggy himself, but I met one of his workers who said he could

still remember how to make it. Alas I've lost touch with him now.

Jn Battle, Ice Cream manufacturer,

27 View Road, S2.

Taggys J, shopkeeper, 78 Gleadless Road, S2.

(Kelly's dir: 1965)

Link to Flash Earth

'Taggy' was his nick - name, from school days.

Quote from SheffieldForum

"Taggy was Ernest battle and yes it was the best icecream ever !!"

1957 Kelly's Directory shows

Ernest Battle 25 View Road (no indication of occupation)

Jn. Battle, Ice cream manufacturer, 27 View Road.

We lived in Heeley Bank Road and if memory serves me correctly the Taggys van came on a Sunday. What a treat and as everyone (well almost everyone) says, it tasted delicious.

Nothing like it today.