Service tram?

Guest tsavo

I've seen shots like this before and given that the single deck tram isnt in the normal Sheffield colours it most likely is a works car.

There is a link on here somewhere to a load of shots showing works cars and they are all very similar...and very dirty!!!

Guest bus man

To the best of my knowledge sheffield didnt buy any service cars new they converted old ones, one is preserved at Crich 330 (think) a water car , trams were also used for snow plougs towing towers for over head work .

Other systems used them for other puposes : dedicated training cars, stores cars, water cars, ticket carriers (tickets between the head office and depots) loco trams - the blackpool one is preserved at crich one if its jobs was hauling coal trucks to the corps power station, wheel carrier, and at least in Austrailia - prisoners it had a jail tram

This shows a single deck tram which I think were used for maintenance. Anyone confirm?. More pictures to follow

Many years ago I spent a lot of my childhood on a farm in the Rivelin Valley. In the orchard there were 2 old single deck ex- Sheffield trams similar to the one in the picture. At the end of their service life they had been purchased and used by a Doctor Greer who kept greyhounds, but were later converted to hen huts. They were still there up untill the early 80`s though in a very sorry state. I was told that they had arrived sometime in the 20`s amid great excitement due to the location of the farm and the way they had been transported there. The cost involved to get them there must have far outweighed the value of the trams, though today I suppose they would be priceless.

Guest bus man

I have brought the above photo to the attention of the sheffield transport study group , the comments i got was possibly Infirmary Road/Langsett Road area however, the bigest mystery is why is a snow plough out in what looks like sunny weather, I will let you know what the outcome of the research is

Guest transit

I have brought the above photo to the attention of the sheffield transport study group , the comments i got was possibly Infirmary Road/Langsett Road area however, the bigest mystery is why is a snow plough out in what looks like sunny weather, I will let you know what the outcome of the research is

....looks like West Bar roundabout , with the lorry coming out of Corporation St - before all the demolition / road widening ect. Could the tram just have been re-located to another depot for tempory storage ,or on its way to Central Works for some maintenance , paintwork ect in preparation for the winter ? :unsure:

Guest tsavo

This is the junction of West Bar and Corporation St. As it came from a reel of 16mm film, will see if I can grab a better shot of the trams.

Guest bus man

I think the above answers are right as the following reply was received from the sheffield transport study group courtesy of the sheffield camera series photographer

I should say the tram was passing the top of Corporation Street. The number 92 on the shop is exactly right for the corner of West Bar and Corporation Street.

In 1954 it belonged to Wood and Sons - jewellers.

Guest bus man

This is the junction of West Bar and Corporation St. As it came from a reel of 16mm film, will see if I can grab a better shot of the trams.

Is there anything else on this 16mm film that could be of interst ? what is the film

Many years ago I spent a lot of my childhood on a farm in the Rivelin Valley. In the orchard there were 2 old single deck ex- Sheffield trams similar to the one in the picture. At the end of their service life they had been purchased and used by a Doctor Greer who kept greyhounds, but were later converted to hen huts. They were still there up untill the early 80`s though in a very sorry state. I was told that they had arrived sometime in the 20`s amid great excitement due to the location of the farm and the way they had been transported there. The cost involved to get them there must have far outweighed the value of the trams, though today I suppose they would be priceless.

Just found this 1954 photo of my great aunty feeding the hens on a snowy winters day, Whats this got to do with trams you may ask? Well! look where they are all walking from, yes, those very same old Sheffield trams. Regards, W/E.

Guest transit

Just found this 1954 photo of my great aunty feeding the hens on a snowy winters day, Whats this got to do with trams you may ask? Well! look where they are all walking from, yes, those very same old Sheffield trams. Regards, W/E.

....what a great find W/E !!!!!! small world ect???? - they remind me of the two old Sheffield tramcar units at Sandtoft (formally D/Deckers) One is used as a tourist leaflet /info unit ,and the other is used as a store . I'll take some pics of them this weekend and post on here.

Guest transit

....what a great find W/E !!!!!! small world ect???? - they remind me of the two old Sheffield tramcar units at Sandtoft (formally D/Deckers) One is used as a tourist leaflet /info unit ,and the other is used as a store . I'll take some pics of them this weekend and post on here.

...as promised , the remains of former d/d Sheffield tramcars 419 & 422 dating from 1922 !!! :o

...as promised , the remains of former d/d Sheffield tramcars 419 & 422 dating from 1922 !!! :o

Hi `transit` Thanks for those shots, glad you had some descent weather. What year do you reckon these trams at Rivelin are? I seem to remember they were both identical with 4 windows down each side rounded at the top, so that should be a clue. You know, as kids we used to play in these on wet days how I wish I had took more notice. W/E.