Methodist Churches in Sheffield

Guest purplejumper

Has the Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel of Stanley Street been mentioned?

There's a picture of it on the Sheffield Library Pictures but I don't know how to get it across to this thread.

Guest purplejumper

Kent Road Chapel

Heeley,

opened in 1896, first known as "The Adams Memorial Hall"

“The missionary activities of the Heeley and John Street Primitive Methodists which led to the founding of Abbeydale Chapel also led to the establishing of work in Upper Heeley where a chapel was eventually opened in 1896 in Kent Road. The post war years led to decline and a somewhat over-churched circuit and in 1957 the folk at Kent Road rejoined the parent society at St Andrew’s. The chapel in Kent Road is still there… It was bought by the Salvation Army…” [Robert Hey: “A Charge to Keep” – page 53]

Guest purplejumper

Copy & paste a link ... Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel

Elsewhere on the internet:

"In 1864, the Dale Dyke Dam collapsed, sending a wall of water down the Loxley Valley and into Sheffield. Around 250 people died and MASSIVE destruction was caused. Recently, insurance claims have been studied… “One claim is from the trustees of the Stanley Street Sunday School in the Wicker: 200 Bibles and Testaments, other school books, and 240 volumes in their circulating library (18 guineas), pointing to a Sunday School where not only the Bible was read.” "

Is this right????

1) Adam Clarke died in 1832 ( http://www.oxforddnb.com/index/101005483/ ) and Ebenezer Shalesmoor was opened 1823.

2) The building is back in use as a church now, called "City Life Christian Church", and is a Pentecostal AOG church. http://www.citylifecc.com

Apart from that I love the quote from the Register!

Sounds like quite an event... lol

I was doing a bit of research on the Ebenezer Sunday School and it said it was also used as a

Yorkshire Penny Bank in 1902 but on Saturday evenings only.

I also read that an Arthur Mooney was the Chapel keeper. I wonder if he was the father or grandfather

to George Mooney or John Mooney being in the same area as the Mooney gang.

Probably not the right place to put this, but, best to put it somewhere. Do we have an A-Z of places of Religious Worship in Sheffield somewhere ?? If not, why not ?? and is anyone willing/able to produce such a list. Should be along the lines of other listings, one entry for each place of Worship, with dates built, opened (think St. Pauls' ... built in ?? opened in ?? and the reason for the big gap ??).

Anyway, here's the "meat" of this posting (sorry, it's a bit messy, not had time to do much/anything with it, just here for your perusal)

95 Vicars, relatives, visitors 1881

BATTERSBY Caryd James M 23 U Son Sheffield, York, England No Occ Vicars Son 34 Gell St Sheffield, York, England

BATTERSBY Gertrude Ellen F 21 U Daughter Sheffield, York, England Vicars Daughter 34 Gell St Sheffield, York, England

BATTERSBY James M 58 M Head Worston, Lancashire, England Vicar Of St James Sheffield 34 Gell St Sheffield, York, England

BATTERSBY Julia Maria F 50 M Wife Aldborough, York, England Vicars Wife 34 Gell St Sheffield, York, England

BLAKENEY James E. M 54 M Head Ireland Vicar Of Sheffield 34 Collegiate Crescent Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

BLAKENEY Martha F 43 M Wife Manchester, Lancashire, England Vicar Of Sheffield 34 Collegiate Crescent Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

BLAKENEY Richard M 60 M Visitor Ireland Vicar Of Bridlington 34 Collegiate Crescent Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

BROUGHTON Jane F 50 Visitor Bentley, York, England Vicar Of St Johns 21 St Johns Rd Sheffield, York, England

CHALMER Ada Mary F 26 U Dau Manchester, Lancashire, England Vicar Of Ranmoor Wife Ranmoor Park Rd Upper Hallam, York, England

CHALMER E. B. (Rev. D. D.) M 53 M Head Pemberton, Lancashire, England Vicar Of Ranmoor Ranmoor Park Rd Upper Hallam, York, England

CHALMER Eleanor C. F 54 M Wife Liverpool, Lancashire, England Vicar Of Ranmoor Wife Ranmoor Park Rd Upper Hallam, York, England

CHARLESWORTH Mary Elizth. F 28 U Niece Linthwaite, York, England Vicars Niece Chapeltown Vicarage Ecclesfield, York, England

CHORLTON Samuel M 43 M Head Hyde, Cheshire, England Vicar Of Pitsmoor Sheffield Master Of Arts 257 Pitsmoor Rd (The Vicarage) Brightside Bierlow, York, England

CLAPHAM Alice F 23 U Daur Haslingdon, Lancashire, England Vicar Of St Matthias Sheff (MA) 78 Clarkehouse Rd Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

CLAPHAM Annie F 28 U Daur Manchester, Lancashire, England Vicar Of St Matthias Sheff (MA) 78 Clarkehouse Rd Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

CLAPHAM George W. M 55 M Head Burton Nr Kendal, Westmorland, England Vicar Of St Matthias Sheff (MA) 78 Clarkehouse Rd Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

CLAPHAM Mary E. F 26 U Daur Haslingdon, Lancashire, England Vicar Of St Matthias Sheff (MA) 78 Clarkehouse Rd Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

CLAPHAM Rachel F 50 M Wife Manchester, Lancashire, England Vicar Of St Matthias Sheff (MA) 78 Clarkehouse Rd Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

COUCH Thomas M 36 U Lodger Middlesex, England Vicar Designate 137 Elles Rd Brightside Bierlow, York, England

DEAN Bertha F 28 U Relative Batley, York, England Vicar Of Darnall The Vicarage 18 Industry Rd Attercliffe Cum Darnall, York, England

DEPLEDGE George (MA) M 44 U Head Leeds, York, England Vicar Of Attercliffe High Street Attercliffe Cum Darnall, York, England

DOUGLAS Robert M 44 W Head Liverpool, Lancashire, England M.A. Vicar Of St Stephens 15 Hoole RD Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

DRAPER Emily F 29 U Daur Rochester, Kent, England Vicar Of All Saints Sheffield 344 Grimesthorpe Rd Brightside Bierlow, York, England

DRAPER Joseph R. M 54 M Head Rochester, Kent, England Vicar Of All Saints Sheffield 344 Grimesthorpe Rd Brightside Bierlow, York, England

DRAPER Rosetta F 60 M Wife Chatham, Kent, England Vicar Of All Saints Sheffield 344 Grimesthorpe Rd Brightside Bierlow, York, England

FALLOON Barbara Jane F 40 M Wife Nottingham, England Clerk In Holy Orders Vicar Of St Pauls Sheffield 197 Brookhill Nether Hallam, York, England

FALLOON William Hugh M 38 M Head Liverpool, Lancashire, England Clerk In Holy Orders Vicar Of St Pauls Sheffield 197 Brookhill Nether Hallam, York, England

FAVELL Henry Arnold M 36 M Head Sheffield, York, England M.A. Vicar Of St Georges Sheffield 6 Chantrey Rd Nether Hallam, York, England

FAVELL Mary F 32 M Wife Sheffield, York, England M.A. Vicar Of St Georges Sheffield 6 Chantrey Rd Nether Hallam, York, England

GATTY Alfred M 67 W Head London, London, Middlesex, England Vicar Of Ecclesfield D.D.& Sub Dean Of York Cathedral Vicarage House Ecclesfield, York, England

GATTY Undine M. F 32 U Daur Ecclesfield, York, England Vicar Of Ecclesfield D.D.& Sub Dean Of York Cathedral Vicarage House Ecclesfield, York, England

GILMORE Charles James M 5 Son Rawmarsh, York, England Vicar Of St Johns 21 St Johns Rd Sheffield, York, England

GILMORE Eliza F 35 M Wife Ireland Vicar Of St Johns 21 St Johns Rd Sheffield, York, England

GILMORE James M 38 M Head Ireland Vicar Of St Johns 21 St Johns Rd Sheffield, York, England

GOODWYN Fredrick W. M 31 U Head Madras Calicut, India Vicar Of Sharrow M.A.Oxford St Andrews Rd "The Vicarage" Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

GREENWOOD Eleanora F 38 M Wife Leeds, York, England M.A. Vicar Of Wortley (Cantab) (Clergyman) Mortley Vicarage Wortley In Wortley, York, England

GREENWOOD Sidney (Revd.) M 38 M Head Coley, York, England M.A. Vicar Of Wortley (Cantab) (Clergyman) Mortley Vicarage Wortley In Wortley, York, England

HEWLETT John Howe M 40 M Head Dover, Kent, England Vicar Of Fulwood Vicarage Stumperlowe Upper Hallam, York, England

HOLMES Meville M 58 M Head Liverpool, Lancashire, England Vicar Of Wadsley Wadsley Vicarage Wadsley Lane Ecclesfield, York, England

HULME Mary F 63 U Sister Burslem, Stafford, England Vicar Of Brightside Upwell St "Vicarage" Brightside Bierlow, York, England

HULME Thomas M 65 U Head Melton N K Suppose, Stafford, England Vicar Of Brightside Upwell St "Vicarage" Brightside Bierlow, York, England

JOB Charles R. M 30 U Head Misson, Nottingham, England Vicar Of St Matthews Sheffield B.A. Cambs 230 London Rd Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

JONES Harriet F 60 M Wife Sheffield, York, England Vicar Of Heeley B.A.Cambridge Vicarage Heeley, York, England

JONES Henry D. M 62 M Head Wrexham, Denbigh, Wales Vicar Of Heeley B.A.Cambridge Vicarage Heeley, York, England

MERCER Catherine F 36 U Sister Sheffield, York, England Vicar Of Norton Woodseats Rockingham House Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

MERCER William M 36 U Brother Sheffield, York, England Vicar Of Norton Woodseats Rockingham House Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

MICKLETHWAIT Emma F 33 M Wife Kings Lynn, Norfolk, England Vicars Wife Chapeltown Vicarage Ecclesfield, York, England

MICKLETHWAIT John M 4 Son Ecclesfield, York, England Vicars Wife Chapeltown Vicarage Ecclesfield, York, England

MICKLETHWAIT Mary F 5 U Daur Ecclesfield, York, England Vicars Wife Chapeltown Vicarage Ecclesfield, York, England

MICKLETHWAIT Richard M 3 Son Ecclesfield, York, England Vicars Wife Chapeltown Vicarage Ecclesfield, York, England

MICKLETHWAIT William M 2 Son Ecclesfield, York, England Vicars Wife Chapeltown Vicarage Ecclesfield, York, England

MICKLETHWAIT William M 56 M Head Billingley, York, England Vicar Of Chapeltown Chapeltown Vicarage Ecclesfield, York, England

ODOM Edith Mary F 5 Daur Sheffield, York, England Vicar Of St Simons Church Sheffield 28 Wilkinson St Nether Hallam, York, England

ODOM Mary F 31 M Wife Messingham, Lincoln, England Vicar Of St Simons Church Sheffield 28 Wilkinson St Nether Hallam, York, England

ODOM William M 34 M Head Gosberton, Lincoln, England Vicar Of St Simons Church Sheffield 28 Wilkinson St Nether Hallam, York, England

PARKES Agnes F 37 M Wife Chilingham Vicar Of Stannington Stannington Vicarage Bradfield, York, England

PARKES Samuel S. M 39 M Head Coellengham, Gloucester, England Vicar Of Stannington Stannington Vicarage Bradfield, York, England

PEARSON Edith F 32 M Wife Batley, York, England Vicar Of Darnall The Vicarage 18 Industry Rd Attercliffe Cum Darnall, York, England

PEARSON Harold D. M 2 Son Bolton, Lancashire, England Vicar Of Darnall The Vicarage 18 Industry Rd Attercliffe Cum Darnall, York, England

PEARSON William M 32 M Head Holmfirth, York, England Vicar Of Darnall The Vicarage 18 Industry Rd Attercliffe Cum Darnall, York, England

PRYDE Andrew M 28 M Head Fifeshire, Scotland Senr Curate Holy Trinity Church Of England Vicar 37 Catherine St Brightside Bierlow, York, England

PRYDE Elizth. F 28 M Wife Patterdale, Cumberland, England Senr Curate Holy Trinity Church Of England Vicar 37 Catherine St Brightside Bierlow, York, England

PRYDE Elsie M. F 1 Daur Sheffield, York, England Senr Curate Holy Trinity Church Of England Vicar 37 Catherine St Brightside Bierlow, York, England

RIGBY Sarah A. F 40 M Wife Thornley, Lancashire, England Vicar Of Holy Trinity 34 & 44 Fox St (Trinity Parsonage) Brightside Bierlow, York, England

RIGBY Thomas M 39 M Head Thornley, Lancashire, England Vicar Of Holy Trinity 34 & 44 Fox St (Trinity Parsonage) Brightside Bierlow, York, England

RUSSELL James M 50 M Head Netherton, Worcester, England Vicar St Philips 104 Upperthorpe Nether Hallam, York, England

RUSSELL Joseph Proctor M 21 U Son Wombridge, Shropshire, England Vicars Son 104 Upperthorpe Nether Hallam, York, England

RUSSELL Martha F 50 M Wife Dudley, Worcester, England Vicar St Philips 104 Upperthorpe Nether Hallam, York, England

SANDFORD Elizabeth A. F 45 M Wife Matlock, Derby, England Vicars Wife High Lane Ecclesall Vicarage Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

SANDFORD George M 64 M Head Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England Vicar Of Ecclesall Sheffield High Lane Ecclesall Vicarage Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

SIMPSON Annie Robertson F 45 W Visitor Newport, York, England Vicars Sister In Law 34 Gell St Sheffield, York, England

SLAKER Benjamin B. (M A) M 45 M Head Sutton, Nottingham, England Vicar Of St Bartholemew Sheff 573 Penistone Rd Nether Hallam, York, England

SMITH Hugh Nanney M 22 U Son Sheffield, York, England Vicar Of Walkley M A 150 Walkley Rd Nether Hallam, York, England

SMITH Jane Donaldson F 45 M Wife Haltwhistle, York, England Vicar Of Walkley M A 150 Walkley Rd Nether Hallam, York, England

SMITH Thomas (Rev) M 54 M Head Leek, Stafford, England Vicar Of Walkley M A 150 Walkley Rd Nether Hallam, York, England

TURNER Ernest Henry M 8 m Son Sheffield, York, England Vicar Of St Jude Eldon 5 Chantrey Rd Nether Hallam, York, England

TURNER Florence F 23 M Wife Sheffield, York, England Vicar Of St Jude Eldon 5 Chantrey Rd Nether Hallam, York, England

TURNER George Wakefield M 30 M Head Cape Of Good Hope Vicar Of St Jude Eldon 5 Chantrey Rd Nether Hallam, York, England

UPCHER Albert R. M 31 M Head Kirby Lane, Norfolk, England Vicar Of St Marys Sheffield 17 Kenwood Road Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

UPCHER Albert W. M 11 m Son Sheffield, York, England Vicar Of St Marys Sheffield 17 Kenwood Road Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

UPCHER Alice F 34 M Wife Brixton, Surrey, England Vicar Of St Marys Sheffield 17 Kenwood Road Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

UPCHER Marian E. F 2 Daur Sheffield, York, England Vicar Of St Marys Sheffield 17 Kenwood Road Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

WILKINS Thomas M 47 U Head Coventry, Warwick, England Vicar Of Saint Michaels Neepsend 3 Platt St Brightside Bierlow, York, England

WILLIAMS Emily J. F 43 M Wife Sheffield, York, England Vicar Of Sale Memorial Ch M.A. Norfolk Rd Vicarage Sheffield, York, England

WILLIAMS Frederick M 43 M Head Liverpool, Lancashire, England Vicar Of Sale Memorial Ch M.A. Norfolk Rd Vicarage Sheffield, York, England

WILSON Clement Eustace Macro M 5 Son Bradfield, York, England Vicar Wife ? Old Haywoods Bradfield, York, England

WILSON Ethel Mary Havis F 11 Daur Bradfield, York, England Vicar Wife ? Old Haywoods Bradfield, York, England

WILSON Evelyn Rockley M 2 Son Bradfield, York, England Vicar Wife ? Old Haywoods Bradfield, York, England

WILSON Martha F 38 M Wife Barnsley, York, England Vicar Wife ? Old Haywoods Bradfield, York, England

WILSON William Reginald M 42 M Head Sheffield, York, England Vicar Of Bolsterstone ? Old Haywoods Bradfield, York, England

WINDER John Harrison M 38 M Head Sheffield, York, England Vicar Of Handsworth Woodhouse Church Street Handsworth, York, England

WINDER Mary Ann F 38 M Wife B...ham, York, England Vicar Of Handsworth Woodhouse Church Street Handsworth, York, England

WITTY John Francis M 76 W Head London St Pancras, London, Middlesex, England Ex Vicar Of St Matthews 222 Brook Hill Nether Hallam, York, England

WRIGHT Henry H. M 49 M Head Nottingham, Nottingham, England Vicar Of St Silas Sheffield St Silas Vicarage Broomhall Rd Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

WRIGHT Sophia E. F 50 M Wife London, Middlesex, England Vicar Of St Silas Sheffield St Silas Vicarage Broomhall Rd Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

Guest skeets

Hillsborough and Owlerton

Now... Can anyone help me with Methodist Churches in the Hillsborough and Owlerton area?

Obviously there's Trinity Hillsborough still on Middlewood Road.

http://www2.sheffieldtoday.net/features/pr.../pdf/p14-21.pdf

And I know about the Wesleyan Reform Union.

http://www.cairparavel.free-online.co.uk/o...on/history.html

But were there any others?

Archives have records and registers for: Hillsborough Trinity and a Hillsborough Wesleyan. There's a photo at PictureSheffield. Was it on Langsett Road, if so whereabouts?

Also there are archives for Owlerton Penistone Road UM, Owlerton Wesleyan (is this the same as the Wesleyan Reform or was there another?) and a New Connexions (which might be the same as the Penistone Road UM, as NC and UMFC joined in 1907 to form the UM's).

So any ideas to clarify this lot?

And just to add to the mixture, where does this picture fit in to it all? Was Trinity originally a Prim?

While youre that way, is Midhurst rd, the sort of Chaple you are looking for. Skeets.

Probably not the right place to put this, but, best to put it somewhere. Do we have an A-Z of places of Religious Worship in Sheffield somewhere ?? If not, why not ?? and is anyone willing/able to produce such a list. Should be along the lines of other listings, one entry for each place of Worship, with dates built, opened (think St. Pauls' ... built in ?? opened in ?? and the reason for the big gap ??).

I have had at the back of my mind the idea of doing a Church of England list, alongside this Methodist thread. Perhaps denominational lists with a master index would work best?

One of my treasured possessions is a copy of Odom's Memorials of Sheffield: Its Cathedral and Parish Churches (1922) which could form a basis for such a list. I assume it is now out of copyright? So I could scan the plates as well as extracting dates and names.

I would aim to add a list of vicars as well, using information I collected originally to help read impossible signatures in Parish Registers (available on the Indexers site - a list of Sheffield Anglican Clergy, searchable, slightly awkwardly, with their Directory database).

I think that I will make a preliminary list from Odom, and then people can add any post-1922 churches they know of.

Hugh

(fervently non-religious)

I have had at the back of my mind the idea of doing a Church of England list, alongside this Methodist thread. Perhaps denominational lists with a master index would work best?

One of my treasured possessions is a copy of Odom's Memorials of Sheffield: Its Cathedral and Parish Churches (1922) which could form a basis for such a list. I assume it is now out of copyright? So I could scan the plates as well as extracting dates and names.

I would aim to add a list of vicars as well, using information I collected originally to help read impossible signatures in Parish Registers (available on the Indexers site - a list of Sheffield Anglican Clergy, searchable, slightly awkwardly, with their Directory database).

I think that I will make a preliminary list from Odom, and then people can add any post-1922 churches they know of.

Hugh

Tremendous idea, Picture Sheffield links etc

Looking forward to seeing the Odum stuff too.

Guest purplejumper

Hugh

Another good book is "Church And People in an Industrial City" by E.R. Wickham. It has the 1881 Religious Census returns.

Guest purplejumper

A

Okay, then.

Here is my list of Methodist Churches - A to Z. (By Methodist I'm only including those that came together in the 1932/3 Union, so excludes Weslyan Reform)

A

1) Abbeydale House, Wesleyan. Barmouth Road. Used by the Wesleyans as a Church for twenty years 1896 - 1916.

2) Abbeydale Prims, SouthView Road/Vincent Road, 1893-1949 (Burnt down in April 2008)

3) Albert Hall, Barkers Pool, c.1902-1907?, used as an "overflow" from Norfolk Street and during rebuilding.

4) Allen Street Sunday School, 1797 (or 1816? - there seems to be a mini-war going on in claims over who had the first Sunday School in Sheffield) - not sure when it closed. Was linked to Scotland Street. The building still stands.

5) Andover Street, Burngreave. 1864 - ?. Now used by Seventh Day Adventists.

6) Anns Road, Heeley, Prims. (known as St Andrew's after amalgamations) 1872 - 1990's. Now used by the Chinese Congregation.

7) Apple Street UM Mission Hall. "Stood where Jewson's Yard is on Mowbray Street". No dates.

8) Arbourthorne, Phoenix Centre, Edenhall Road. 1957 - 1990's?

9) Attercliffe Wesleyan, 732-752 Attercliffe Road, 1830's - 1950's?

Hugh

Don't forget us Papists -m aybe you could do one grand 'Churches of Sheffield' thread with sections for each denomination.

Here is a post I did on the RC Chapels/Churches

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...amp;hl=catholic

don'r forget the Quakers, the Baptists, the 7th Day Adventists........

Hugh

Needs someone that understands the overall picture to take charge, that'll not be me, willing to help but I can't see the overall picture ...

Guest purplejumper

B

10) Banner Cross, 1907 - present day, Eccleshall Rd South

11) Beighton (Prims), Robin Lane, ? - present day.

12) Bents Green, 1931 - present. Ringinglow Road

13) Birdwell Road, Grimesthorpe. 1970's - 2000's?

14) Birley Carr (Mount Zion), Foxhill Road/Midhurst Road, 1832 - present

15) Blackburn, Blackburn Road, 1845 - 1970's

16) Booth's Farm (near the present day Big Tree) - used as a preaching place by Wesley and others in the mid 1700's

17) Bow Street, c. 1830

18) Bradway UM. Bradway Road. 1850 - 1887

19) Bridgehouses Wesleyan, Rock St/Chatham St, 1795-1876

20) Brightholmlee, Warncliffe Side, 1810 - present day

21) Broomhill (Wesley Broomhill), Ashgate Road/Fulwood Road, 1863 - present (rebuilt 1997)

22) Broomhill New Connexion, Glossop Road, (Westbourne Rd/Adshell Rd) c.1860 - 1940?

23) Brunswick, The Moor, 1834 - 1940's

24) (near) Burgess Street and Union Street, the third preaching house in Sheffield. 1745 - 1746. Lasted a year before being torn down by rioters.

25) Burngreave Road Wesleyan, 1880's - 1973?

26) Burncross Prims, Burncross Rd, no dates?

Hugh

Don't forget us Papists -maybe you could do one grand 'Churches of Sheffield' thread with sections for each denomination.

Yes, there needs to be a Catholic list, and your thread would be a good starting point, but I don't think I am the one to do it (at least not yet). I think I have my hands full with just the established church :blink:

I am not sure about a 'super thread' for churches. Just one A-Z list seems tricky enough without several in one thread. Maybe eventuallu there could be a 'grand index'?

Hugh

Guest purplejumper

B

(additionally!)

27 Birch Road 1880’s?

C

28 Cambridge Street, Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel 1820 - ?

29 Carbrook Bethel Primitive Methodist, Bright Street, 1867 - ?

30 Clifton Street UMFC No dates

31 Carbrook Street Wesleyan No dates

30 Carlisle Street East Primitive Methodist No dates

31 Carterknowle Edgedale Rd/ Abbeydale Rd 1904 – present

32 Carver Street 1805 – 200?

33 Chantrey UM Chantrey Road 1871 - 1978

34 Cheney Square Near to the Town Hall 1741 - 1743 (The first preaching house)

35 Cherrytree Hill, Union Road Union Road/ Osborne Road 1864 - ?

36 The Church of Christ LEP in Darnall Station Road 1980’s – present day

37 Clay Street Primitive Methodist Chapel Pre 1948 – 1970’s?

38 Coleford Road (formerly Industry Road) Primitive Methodist Chapel Coleford Road, Darnall Pre 1903 - 1963

39 Corby Street 1880’s?

40 Crabtree PM Crabtree Lane 1865 – 1970’s

41 Creswick Greave Yew Lane ? – present day

42 Crookes Wesleyan Chapel School Road 1836 - 1907

43 Cross Turner Street Off Suffolk Road c. 1881

44 Cundy Street/Firmount, Walkley No dates

Guest purplejumper

D

45 Darnall Wesleyan Church Main Road No dates?

46 Deep Pits City Road c. 1920’s – 1950’s

47 Don Road Wesleyan Pre 1948

48 Dore High Street (originally prim) 1861 – present day

49 Dore Wesleyan Nab Farm 1790 – 1843

50 Dungworth Main Road 1850 – present day

E

51 Earl Lane New Connexion Earl Lane ? 1901

52 Ebenezer Netherthorpe Green Lane No dates

53 Shalesmoor, Ebenezer (Moorfields) 1823 - ?

54 Ecclesfield Trinity High Street S35 9XE 1897 – Present day

55 Ecclesfield, Nether Lane Primitive Methodist ? – c. 1940?

56 Ellesmere Road Wesleyan Ellesmere Road 1869 - 1945

57 Endcliffe Methodist Church Ecclesall Road, Hunters Bar 1904 - present

Guest purplejumper

F

58 Fell Street Primitive Methodist Chapel Corner of Fell Street and Alfred Road Circa 1915 - 1938

59 Firth's Almshouses (Endowed by Mark Firth and used for worship in Victorian times)

60 Firth Park 8 Stubbin Lane S5 6QL ? - present day

61 Trinity, Firvale Firth Park Road, S5 6WN ? - present day

62 Frecheville, Churchdale Road S12 4XW ? - present day

63 Frederick Street (formerly Darnall United Methodist Chapel) Frederick Street 1871 - ?

64 Fulton Road, no dates (mentioned in the 1881 Religious Census)

65 Fulwood Wesleyan Andwell Lane 1853 - 1873

66 The Furnival Verdon Street 1996 - present

G

67 Garden Street Garden Street A few years in the 1790's

68 Gleadless Wesleyan Gleadless Road 1864 - present day

69 Gleadless Valley Blackstock Road c.1961 - present

70 Goole Green Farm Goole Green 1761 - ?

71 Greenhill Wesleyan Greenhill Main Road 1823 - present

72 Greenhill United Methodist School Lane c. 1850 - c.1900

73 Grenoside Main Street No date

74 Grenoside Norfolk Hill No date

75 Greystones Road, Primitive Methodist Greystones Road No dates

76 Grimesthorpe Road Primitive Methodist Grimesthorpe Road 1870 - 1972ish ?

77 Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Wincobank Lane No dates

Guest purplejumper

H

78 Hackenthorpe United Methodist Spa View Road Pre. 1939 – 1992?

79 Nether Green New Connexion/ St George’s/ Hallam Methodist Junction of Nether Green Road and Fulwood Road

1900 – present day

80 Hallam Chapel at Ranmoor, Ranmoor Road (on the slope in front of Chapel Terrace) 1783 - 1870

81 Handsworth Handsworth Road 1814 – present day

82 Hall Road Primitive Methodist Hall Road, Handsworth c. 1925 – 1942 ?

83 Handworth Woodhouse United Methodist ? c. 1851 – 1945 ?

84 Hammond Steet Primitive Methodist Hammond Street No dates

85 Hanover, Broomhill Upper Hanover St 1860 – 2007

86 Harvest Lane Mission Hall Harvest Lane ?

87 Wesleyan Mission Room Corner of Rowland St & Harvest Lane ?

88 Hatfield House Lane Hatfield House Lane ? – present day

89 Walkley Ebenezer PM Heavygate Road ? No dates

90 Mount Olivet Heavygate Road No dates

91 The Bennet Home ? Heeley 1738 - 41

92 Heeley Wesleyan Gleadless Rd/ Hartley St 1826 – 1858

93 Highfield, Trinity (Brunswick) London Road 1879 – present day

94 High Greave New Connexion High Greave S5 9GQ 1926 ? – 1990s ?

95 High Green Wortley Road 1864 - ?

96 Hillsborough Park PM Hawksley Avenue 1907 - 1952

97 Hillsborough Trinity Middlewood Road 1902 – present day

98 Hillsborough Wesleyan Bradfield Road 1812 - 1967

99 Hodgson Street Hodgson Street No date

100 Edmund Street PM Edmund Street No date

101 Hollinsend Hollinsend Road S12 2EA 1858 – present day

102 Hollow Meadows Manchester Road S6 6GL 1876 – present day

103 Howard Road Howard Road, Walkley No dates

104 Hoyle Street PM Hoyle Street No dates

105 Hunsley Street United Methodist Hunsley Street 1868 - ?

I

106 Intake Mansfield Road No date

Guest purplejumper

J

107 Brightside, Dearne Street Wesleyan, Dearne Street 1866? – 1977? (Amalgamated with...)

108 ... Jenkin Road Primitive Methodist Jenkin Road 1853 ? – 1972

109 Sheldon Street (which was the fore-runner of...)

110 ... John Street 1868 – 1940’s

K

111 Kent Road PM 1896 - 1957 (Later used by Salvation Army)

L

112 Langsett Road PM (now a petrol station) 1874 - 1955

113 Lopham Street United Methodist ? - 1996

114 Low Bradfield 1899 – 1993

115 Low Shiregreen, Beck Road, ?1937 - ?1998

116 Loxley c. 1885 – present day

M

117 Manor Wesleyan, The grounds of the Manor House 1808 - 1903

118 Cowlishaw Memorial Chapel, Manor Village Manor Park Crescent 1903 – ?

119 Martin Street PM Upperthorpe No dates

120 Meresbrook Bank Norton Lees Road/Cockayne Place 1898 – 1983

121 Millhouses Abbeydale Road 1936 – present day

122 Montgomery Chapel, Union Road 1866 - ?

123 Mosborough 1888 – present day

124 Mosborough Primitive Methodist Queen Street 1869 – 1973

125 Mount Tabor, Wellington Street/Rockingham Street 1853 - ?

126 Mount Tabor Wordsworth Avenue ? – present day

127 Mount Pleasant, Chapeltown Corner of Loundside and Mount Pleasant 1906 - ?

128 Mount View Derbyshire Lane 1876 – present day

129 Mulberry Street 1757 – 1780

Just a comment re Methodist Churches on Wincobank Lane. There were in fact 2 :

1 On Wincobank Lane opposite the top of Skelwith Rd - this closed many years ago - early 1950's or even before then

2 Wesley Hall further down Wincobank Lane towards Upwell Street. This was closed when the Sheffield Inner City Ecumenical Project was set up around the late 1960's and replaced by a house church.

Maybe Wesley Hall will come later in your list.

John

Guest purplejumper

N

130 Neepsend 1890 - ?

131 Newhall PM ?

132 Norfolk Street Site of the present Victoria Hall 1780 - 1906

133 Normanton Spring Carlin Street / Normanton Spring Road 1878 – mid 1960’s

134 Norton Backmoor Hemsworth Road near Matthews Lane 1877 – 1935

O

135 Oak Street United Methodist 1871 – 1947

136 Oughtibridge Church Street Roughly 1830’s – 1960’s (But was this Wesleyan Reform?)

137 Owler Lane ?1889 - ?

138 Owlerton NC Capel Street 1878 - 1963

139 Oxford Street United Methodist ? – 1940’s

P

140 Paradise Square 1779 - 1780 (Not really a chapel, but Wesley did preach here on at least a couple of occasions!)

141 Park, Duke Street 1831 - ?

142 Parkwood Springs Wallace Road/ Pickering Road No dates

143 Petre Street Primitive Methodist Petre Street / Sutherland Street ? - 1980

144 Pinstone Lane 1743 – 1745 (the second meeting house)

145 Pitsmoor PM no dates

146 Pitsmoor ? – present day (on the site of the old Burngreave chapel?)

147 Pond Hill (Primarily, this seems to have been started as a Sunday School and then a “ragged school” attached to Norfolk Street, There was later a mission chapel here too.)

148 Potterhill High Green 1839 - ?

149 St Andrew’s LEP Prince of Wales Road ? – present day

150 Prince Of Wales Road 1932 - ?

151 Princess Street Wesleyan Chapel Bombed out in 1916

152 Pye Bank UM Pitsmoor Road 1871 - ?

Guest purplejumper

R

153 Ranmoor Wesleyan Chapel (Where abouts did this stand?) 1870 - 1963

154 Ranmoor College Fulwood Road 1864 – 1914

155 Roundel Street Wesleyan Late 20’s – late 70’s ?

156 Rivelin Glen 1890 – present

S

157 St Andrew’s Psalter Lane 1930 – present day

158 St Luke’s LEP, Lodge Moor 1987 – present day

159 Christ Church LEP, Crookes Springvale Road ? - 1988

160 St Luke’s Wesleyan Northfield Road 1899 – 1985

161 St John’s, Crookes Valley Crookesmoor Road 1881 – ?

162 St Mark’s, Malin Bridge Dykes Lane 1834 - 1977

163 St Paul’s United Methodist Shortridge Street, Attercliffe 1836 - ?

164 St Peter’s LEP Lyons Street 1980 – present

165 Scarsdale Road Corner of Scarsdale Road and Chesterfield Road, Woodseats 1928 - 1964

166 Scotland Street 1764 - 1970

167 Franklin Street Mission 1867 - 1889 (Which became...)

168 Sharrow St John’s Sharrow Lane 1889 - 2007

169 Sheaf Street Primitive Methodist, Heeley Gleadless Road 1858 – 1897

170 Shiregreen Wesleyan (Present site of Hatfield House Lane) 1837 - 51

171 Shiregreen PM 1856 - 1947

172 Shrewsbury Road UM 1860 - ?

173 Sothall Methodist Church Sothall Green 1849 - ?

174 South Street 1828 - 1928

175 Southey Moonshine Lane 1845 – present day

176 Staniforth Road Wesleyan Staniforth Road (between Bray St & Garth Rd) Pre 1948

177 Stanley Street, Bethesda No dates

178 Stannington Knowle Top

179 Woodland View Stannington Road 1860 - 1972

180 Stanwood

181 Station Road PM, Chapeltown 1884 (or 1907) - ?

182 Stephen Hill Manchester Road, Crosspool 1866 – present day

183 Stocksbridge, Deepcar

184 Stocksbridge, Wesleyan

185 Stocksbridge, West End, PM Manchester Road

186 Stocksbridge Christian Centre LEP

187 Stoneygate High Green Area 1877 - ?

188 Storrs Storrs Lane

189 Surrey Street 1831 - 1957

Guest purplejumper

T

190 Talbot Street Built 1851, enlarged 1900

191 Heeley Wesley, Thirwell Road 1858 - 1960

192 Thornhill (mentioned in White's 1901 trade directory - no other information)

193 Tinsley (UM) Sheffield Road

194 Tinsley Bawtry Road ? – present day

195 Totley Chapel Lane (off Hillfoot Road) 1848 - 1967

196 Totley Rise Abbeydale Road South 1895 – present day

197 Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Christian Workers Association Gifford Road Pre 1889

198 Trinity Mission Hall Broadfield Road 1889 – 1957

V

199 Valley Road UM 1895 – 1940

200 Victoria Hall Norfolk Street 1907 - present

201 Victoria Stafford Road ?1901 – present day

Guest purplejumper

and W

202 Wadsley Bridge Wesleyan Penistone Road North 1839 - ?

203 Warren Warren Lane 1876 – present day

204 Waterthorpe Emmanuel LEP

205 Weigh Lane Off Duke Street (mentioned in the 1881 Religious Census - no further details)

206 Wesley College Glossop Road 1838 – 1905

207 Wesley Hall, Crookes 1908 – present

208 Wesley Hall, Grimesthorpe 1921 - ?

209 Weston Street (formerly Garden Street) Weston Street 1861 - 1965

210 West Street United Methodist Chapel Beighton 1860’s – 1970’s

211 Westmoreland Street (Upperthorpe?)

212 Whitley Wood Chapel Whitley Wood Road 1789 – 1852

213 William Temple LEP Harborough Avenue ? – present day

214 Wincobank PM Barrow Road 1874 - ? (Meadowhall)

215 Wadsley Ben Lane 1839 - 1967 (which became...)

216 Wisewood Ben Lane 1967 – Present day

217 Woodhouse Trinity

218 Woodhouse Wesley

219 St Paul’s, Woodhouse

220 Woodhouse Bethel PM

221 Woodseats Holmhirst Road 1917 – Present day

222 Wybourn Hall Maltravers Road