Methodist Churches in Sheffield

Guest purplejumper

Ebeneezer Chapel, Shalesmoor. http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=t01072

Now occupied by Williams Bros. of nuts and bolt supplier fame.

From The Register, 27th July 1873:

Opened by Rev Adam Clarke L.L.D. it contains sittings for 1579 persons and cost £3,000.

During the service, the alarm was raised that the building was falling; the congregation escaped in confusion, breaking 700 panes of glass.

Sounds like an opening to remember!

Guest purplejumper

Ebeneezer Chapel, Shalesmoor. http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=t01072

Now occupied by Williams Bros. of nuts and bolt supplier fame.

From The Register, 27th July 1873:

Opened by Rev Adam Clarke L.L.D. it contains sittings for 1579 persons and cost �3,000.

During the service, the alarm was raised that the building was falling; the congregation escaped in confusion, breaking 700 panes of glass.

Sounds like an opening to remember!

Is this right????

1) Adam Clarke died in 1832 ( http://www.oxforddnb.com/index/101005483/ ) and Ebenezer Shalesmoor was opened 1823.

2) The building is back in use as a church now, called "City Life Christian Church", and is a Pentecostal AOG church. http://www.citylifecc.com

Apart from that I love the quote from the Register!

Sounds like quite an event... lol

Is this right????

1) Adam Clarke died in 1832 ( http://www.oxforddnb.com/index/101005483/ ) and Ebenezer Shalesmoor was opened 1823.

2) The building is back in use as a church now, called "City Life Christian Church", and is a Pentecostal AOG church. http://www.citylifecc.com

Apart from that I love the quote from the Register!

Sounds like quite an event... lol

I was christened at the Ebenezer and not being able to remember the day I always got the impression

that the church was the old one across the road and the building in question was the school.

I've just got back from walking pass there [ been to the Kelham Island Tavern] and the old church building

has got trees growing out of it, it has stood like this for many years. Could this one have been built well before the

other.

I've posted a picture of how the Pentecostal looks today, it was taken two years ago. I'm still looking for the picture of

the old ruin, maybe thats another excuse for me to visit the Tavern again, to get another picture. lol

Does anyone know what this building is then, opposite the Pentecostal?

Is it possible this was the old Ebenezer opened in 1823? The Pentecostal looks as if it was built

later than 1823.

Guest purplejumper

Does anyone know what this building is then, opposite the Pentecostal?

Is it possible this was the old Ebenezer opened in 1823? The Pentecostal looks as if it was built

later than 1823.

It certainly looks like a church with the arched, tall windows.

Here are the date stones from round the back of the non-ruined church which suggest it was the school...

It certainly looks like a church with the arched, tall windows.

Here are the date stones from round the back of the non-ruined church which suggest it was the school...

Thankyou for that infomation it confirms that building wasn't built in 1823 so maybe the old ruin is the

original church. My mother often use to talk of the Ebenezer school and the Pentecostal as it is today

was once the local Sunday school.

Next time I'm in the area I'll have a look at the date stone.

On old maps this is shown as a Primitive Methodist Chapel - was it Fir Vale or Page Hall ? Looks like it was built in 1889?

On old maps this is shown as a Primitive Methodist Chapel - was it Fir Vale or Page Hall ? Looks like it was built in 1889?

It was at Fir Vale on the right hand side of Owler Lane a hundred yards or so before the junction with Firth Park Rd ( ie a short distance before the existing Methodist Church). I lived on Hinde House Lane and remember it well. I think it closed many years ago .

John

It was at Fir Vale on the right hand side of Owler Lane a hundred yards or so before the junction with Firth Park Rd ( ie a short distance before the existing Methodist Church). I lived on Hinde House Lane and remember it well. I think it closed many years ago .

John

Hi John,

I was wondering what its full name was?

P

I drove past it today. I see that it's up for sale. I guess it will be developed for more student accommodation?

May I add a comment regarding the Hanover Methodist Church and the original building, a huge rambling place,see Picture Sheffield,it was demolished to make way for a smaller building,and as I do not live in Sheffield now do not know what is on the site now, I attended Sunday School there many many! years ago,the Minister was Rev A.J.Hockin and he had worked in Africa or somewhere, and had three African Grey parrots in cages in the back yard and these birds had a screech that could be heard for a great distance.I attended Springfield school at the bottom of Broomspring Lane,and when the wind was in the right direction the screeching of thes thre birds could be heard in the playground.

Before the war there was always some sort of outing during the summer out Fulwood way, games,tea that sort of thing, all who attended Sunday School and parents were invited, my young sister attended the Sunday School but I did not, but went to party with her and my parents, and had a great time, cakes,buns,ice cream, games,winning prizes and so on, however late in the afternoon the SS Suprintendant collared me and asked how long had I been attending, quick as flash I replied "I start next Sunday" and scarpered!!!,but was true to my word and did and had have many happy memories of that time. Strong supporters of the Chapel at that time were the Ogden family who had a large shop at the corner of Regent St and West St selling babywear and womens clothes.

One other memory is that whilst there I signed the Pledge, but it did me no good when called into His Majesty's service.

Guest plain talker

I drove past it today. I see that it's up for sale. I guess it will be developed for more student accommodation?

Actually, it's been bought by the Jesus Army!, who have a base in Sheffield, in Broomhall, nearby.

It's going to be turned into what they call a "Jesus Centre" an outreach/ drop-in place.

Guest purplejumper

Hi John,

I was wondering what its full name was?

P

According to Kelly's 1901 Trade Directory it was "Owler Lane Primitive Methodist". It must have closed before the war though...

kelly_1901.doc

Welsh language sevices for methodists were advertised on a green and gold plaque on the left hand side entrance of the Memorial Hall of the City Hall in the early 1970's.

Mount Tabor methodist chapel, on the corner of Wordworth Ave and Southey Hill, remember well the sunday processions

round the estate !!!!

There was also a Mount Tabor Chapel, United Methodist at the corner of Rockingham St and Wellington St.

I believe it was demolished in the early 60s.

Guest plain talker

Kent Road Chapel

Heeley,

opened in 1896, first known as "The Adams Memorial Hall"

with a date stone of 1883 interesting!

Guest plain talker

Have I missed something plain talker?

:unsure:

Apologies, My computer won't open the picture up big enough to see some detail accurately. it looked like 1883 at the resolution I got :huh: sowwy...

There was also a Mount Tabor Chapel, United Methodist at the corner of Rockingham St and Wellington St.

I believe it was demolished in the early 60s.

Found a picture.