Methodist Churches in Sheffield

Guest purplejumper

how about Petre St. chapel, Pitsmoor, and Ebenezer at Ecclesfield

Here's on of Ebenezer Chapel at Ecclesfield - we used to live around the corner in the 1970s. I think it has been demolished now.

Guest Gramps

I posted this pic of Ebeneezer Wesleyan chapel, Bramall lane on a another thread...

There are other photos of chapels in my convoluted file system which I'll try and dig out.

One of Mr. Lovell minister on Douglas Road, Whit Walk.

Photo taken just above the old chapel, later a TV repair shop . Did Mr Lovell marry Miss Fretwell our Sunday School teacher ?

Here's a photo of Barrow Road Primitive Methodist chapel. Are those gasometers still there?

Not the original four between Bardwell road and Parkwood road, but the is a much newer one alongside Farfield road.

Guest purplejumper

There used to be an old Methodist Church on Ranmoor Rd. Suspect it's now the site of several houses.

In the book about the History of Hallam Methodist Church (mentioned in a previous post) the author says that there was a "Hallam Chapel at Ranmoor" which ran from 1783 to 1870.

It stood on the slope in front of Chapel Terrace.

It was replaced in 1870 by Ranmoor Wesleyan Chapel (but I'm not clear where abouts on Ranmoor Road this stood?)

This merged in 1963 to form the present day Hallam Methodist Church.

Guest purplejumper

former Dearne Street Methodist Chapel, Brightside

October 2008

Close by to Dearne Street was Jenkin Road. Does anyone know anything about this one?

Guest plain talker

Does anyone have anything about Deep Pits Methodist Church on City Road?

Wasn't it on Edenhall Road? It's now the "Phoenix Community Centre".

It was replaced in 1870 by Ranmoor Wesleyan Chapel (but I'm not clear where abouts on Ranmoor Road this stood?)

This merged in 1963 to form the present day

I know exactly where that building was for some reason. There used to be a building behind it thatwas used as a church hall I think. I shall see if I can get an upto date picture of the site.

<br />Forgot to say, I was right about Birdwell Road. It is simply a house (terraced I think) at 43 Birdwell Road, Grimesthorpe S4 8BJ.<br />You may be interested in the following about Churches in teh Burngreave area.<br />&quot;Methodism was very popular in Burngreave during the late 1800s and 1900s. This was largely because the Methodist Church was seen as 'the people's church' and drew large congregations, particularly among the working classes. There were several different denominations active in Burngreave, including Wesleyan, United, Primitive and New Connexion. Each denomination built their own chapel in the area - the one on Lopham Street was a United church and Petre Street was from the Primitive school. Both were large, imposing brick buildings.<br /><br />During the later part of the 1900s church congregations began to decline and change was in the air. Petre Street Church sold its premises in 1980 and used the money to build the new St Peter's Anglican /Methodist church on the site of the old All Saints Church on Lyons Street. Lopham Street Methodist Church decided to relocate to a smaller building. The Furnival pub on Verdon Street was bought and turned it into a church and community centre in 1996 and the old church was demolished and the site used for housing. &quot;<br />
<br /><br /><br />

HI I have made my commets on here before, about the building that replaced ALL SAINTS church, in one word [disgracefull],made all the more so ,now l learn the Petre st Chapel cash was used to replace it, if the money had been used to refurbish the interior and stoneclean and repoint the exterior the of this beautiful church , not only would the local area have had a church to be proud of, but also the idiots in the planning dept, who was responsible for ruinning the area , might have had to face a public outcry for demolishing such a lovely building,and may have had to retract. This,Church and school, was built with the donations of the steel magnate John Brown . Aside from my rantings, was not the church, corner of Burngreave rd and Gower st , the Brunswick Methodist Church. Skeets.

Close by to Dearne Street was Jenkin Road. Does anyone know anything about this one?

Hi Purplejumper, My Grandparents lived on Jenkin Road and my mum used to attend a youth club at the Jenkin Road Chapel it was just below the "Rec". I have seen a photo somewhere.

<br /><br />Then I had a look on Wincobank Lane. There's a playground at the top of Wansfell with gateposts and a couple of Memorials from a graveyard presumably? Did the Wesley Hall you talk about stand here???<br /><br /><br />Then drove back to Grimesthorpe Road but couldn't see anything left. There was an old Board School on the corner with an Old People's Home opposite. Next to the school was a hut advertising Japanese Martial arts!<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

HI Purplejumper, You are right with the Wesley Hall site , l worked on that building 1944/5 for my boss Frank Astling l think it had something to do with the old Grimesthorpe rd Church, Frank was something on the Churches council or other, because l have worked on s everal of these places mentioned such as Hoyle st church hall , Burngeave, m Church ,All Saints church , Lopham st, Pitsmoor church, Pitsmoor Rd and Eversley Houseamong others, .Skeets.

quote JackD' post 'May 19 2008, 08:06 PM. Has Hanover methodist been mentioned?

Hi JackD l went to Sunday school here 1928/31 we used to love till one of the teachers clipped me for sliding down the bannister. Skeets

I pop in here from time to time in the forlorn hope that the "Hell and Brimstone" that is surely heading my way might have cooled a little.

Guest purplejumper

Wasn't it on Edenhall Road? It's now the "Phoenix Community Centre".

As far as I can tell, the church that met in the Phoenix Community Centre on Edenhall Road was called "Arbourthorne Methodist". It replaced the Deep Pits chapel in 1957.

“Methodists first planned to move in 1938 from Deep Pits Methodist Church and Institute on City Road to open a new church on Edenhall Road. The war put these plans on hold until 1957 when the Arbourthorne Methodist Church opened. In 1984 the church decided to convert the building for wider community use and so Phoenix 84 Community Centre, later known as The Arbourthorne Centre, opened its doors."

“The United Methodists of the South Street Circuit erected the Deep Pits Institute on City Road to meet the ‘Social, Intellectual, Moral and Spiritual’ needs of that growing neighbourhood in 1920. Many of the first residents on the [Manor] estate who leaned towards Methodism walked across the road to Deep Pits or over the fields to the Manor Chapel before the network of worship centres on the estate was built.” [Malcolm Mercer: "A Portrait of the Manor in the 1930's"

]

...so, anyone got a picture of Deep Pits???

Guest purplejumper

<br /><br /><br />

Aside from my rantings, was not the church, corner of Burngreave rd and Gower st , the Brunswick Methodist Church. Skeets.

I don't think so. I think it was simply called Burngreave Wesleyan.

Brunswick was also bombed in the war but stood at the bottom of the moor near where the red "Work and Pensions" pyramid building is (shortly to be demolished?)

the red "Work and Pensions" pyramid building is (shortly to be demolished?)
Not 'Work & Pensions' Building, It's the DfES building.

Not 'Work & Pensions' Building, It's the DfES building.

What about "ManPower Services" sure that was the original name

Yes, It was built by the PSA in 1981 for the Manpower Services Commission as an HQ. In 1986 the department split and the Employment Service was created to look after the Jobcentre side of things and went off to Rockingham House on West St to set up their HQ. The group left at Moorfoot were known as the Employment Department and later Department for Employment - it's all words!, before becoming the Department for Education and Science.

The Employment Service lasted until 2003 when it joined forces with the Benefits Agency to create the Department for Work and Pensions. This also encompasses HSE, CSA (now has a new name I can't remember) and of course Jobcentre Plus.

Of course a lot of people still call Moorfoot the Manpower building as it had a MASSIVE impact on the city. Not only blocking off the Moor but bringing hundreds of wealthy southerners up from London, at about the same time Midland Bank also moved opperations to Sheffield, which in turn had a great affect on house prices.

There were some great myths about Moorfoot, the best being that there was a swimming pool on the roof that emptied through the sprinkler system in the event of a fire. Well, there wasn't even a sprinkler system.

"While the garden design has not yet been finalized, it will include the cast-iron bell presently on the grounds of the Society Made In Sheffield, England, the bell originally hung in the tower of the Sheffield Methodist Church; it was recently given to the town by Tom and Cynthia Dixon".

As usual, looking for something completely different and found this about one of the US Sheffield's. Any guesses as to which Methodist Church it refers to?

Link to complete background: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maberksh.../stonestore.htm