Methodist Churches in Sheffield

Guest purplejumper

Guest plain talker

well, astounding and sad news emerged over the last 24 hours.

the building in purplejumpers' post of 11th October 2007 -the one in the picture of "abbeydale primitive meths" was all but destroyed in a fire.

it's tragic! it was a really interesting building.

Guest mikep

I have been told that the early records of Gleadless Methodist Church were sent to Brunswick Church for safety pre-war & that they were destroyed by bombing. I have also been told that the above records (which I suspect are the post-war ones) are in Archives under 'Surrey St. circuit'. Does anyone know if there are any copies anywhere? as I am looking for details of my 1800s family who are in them

how about Petre St. chapel, Pitsmoor, and Ebenezer at Ecclesfield

A photo that I took last week on my meanderings. Ebenezer Street Sheffield

Guest purplejumper

Has Hanover methodist been mentioned?

JackD

I drove past it today. I see that it's up for sale. I guess it will be developed for more student accommodation?

Guest JackD

I drove past it today. I see that it's up for sale. I guess it will be developed for more student accommodation?

I understand most of the land in that area is owned bu the university anyhow.

Jack.

Guest on`tcross

Mount Tabor methodist chapel, on the corner of Wordworth Ave and Southey Hill, remember well the sunday processions

round the estate !!!!

A detail from an aerial photograph showing Howard Road Wesleyan Chapel in Walkley...

Howard Road runs from the bottom to top left. The Chapel was on the corner with Duncombe Street.

Can anyone say when this chapel was demolished?

Hugh

Has anyone said Hackenthorpe Methodist, this has a big green dome just off Birley Spa Lane.

Also Handsworth Methodist Church on Handsworth Road.

In the Grimesthorpe area there was "Wesley Hall" located on Wincobank Lane. This closed in the 1970's I think.

There was also one on Grimesthorpe Road on the hill near the Grimesthorpe end. I think this closed earlier, around the 1960's.

Lopham street chapel photo is on PictureSheffield.com site

John

Hi John - took a picture of this recently as was passing! Great building - still seems to be thriving!

Belfrybum

St Annes stood on the corner of Hoyle St and Dover St where I lived as a kid.

The archives says it closed in the 40s but I have a picture of myself at my cousins wedding

which was taken in 1956.

Belfrybum

St Annes stood on the corner of Hoyle St and Dover St where I lived as a kid.

The archives says it closed in the 40s but I have a picture of myself at my cousins wedding

which was taken in 1956.

You may just have better information than them !

Welcome to the Site.

Maybe someone can find the place on our collection of Maps from the 1950's; personally I'm sick to death of Maps !

Hi John - took a picture of this recently as was passing! Great building - still seems to be thriving!

Hi Dunsbyowl. The photo is of the chapel I went to for many years before leaving Sheffield. Its actually Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Chapel. The Wesleyan Reform Union is a national organisation whose HQ is in Sheffield. All chapels are self governing but subscribe to a set of principles laid down by the Union which supplies local preachers. Few Chapels have a minister though and just rely on local preachers

The Wesleyan Reformers were a group set up in 1849 in a bid to reform the Wesleyan Methodist movement. Apparently this was a fairly unhappy period of expulsions and secessions from Wesleyan Methodism.

However the Wesleyan Reformers were not too succesful, so in 1857 they joined with the Protestant Methodists and Wesleyan Methodist Association to form the United Methodist Free Churches. However not all Wesleyan Reformers joined the new movement and those left formed their own denomination, the Wesleyan Reform Union.

End of history lesson ! Thanks for the photo.

John

This is the Sunday School at Bethel, Cambridge Street. The Chapel was next door to the right.

An interesting piece of trivia is that when the chapel was built in 1820, it was ruled that trousers were forbidden to be worn in the pulpit! “Breeches were universally worn and trousers considered vulgar, so the following trust deed was drawn up…’Under no circumstances whatever shall any preacher be allowed to occupy the pulpit who wears trousers.’”

Hi just for information I noted that Bethel Chapel on Cambridge Street closed on 20th September 1936!

Here's all that's left of Oak Street. It burnt down in December 1947!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here it is burning down

Here's Victoria on Stafford Road. (on a rainy afternoon)

There were lots of others in the Park area including Chapels on Talbot Street (gone), Shrewsbury Road (Gone), Duke Street (there is a church still there, but is it the same one I wonder?), and Wybourn Hall on Maltravers Road... There are pictures of all of these on the PictureSheffield site, but sadly NOT of Duke Street. Can anyone help?

The present-day Duke St Church,

'Church Of God Of Prophercy'