Methodist Churches in Sheffield

Guest purplejumper

This isn't a Topic that I visit very often,

but it's nice to see that purplejumper has been busy

and kindly added an alphabetical list into the Topic.

Thank you for that PJ.

I haven't noticed a photograph of Loxley Methodist Chapel on Loxley Rd,

so here are a couple ..

Courtesy of Google Street View

This isn't a Topic that I visit very often,

but it's nice to see that purplejumper has been busy

and kindly added an alphabetical list into the Topic.

Thank you for that PJ.

I seem to be in the same situation as SteveHB with regards to this topic but that alphabetical list is great.

I noticed that Arbourthorne Methodist Church, Edenhall Road, is in the list and has been mentioned by plaintalker earlier.

Yes, this is no longer a church, it has been referred to as "the Phoenix Centre" and it is some kind of Arbourthorne community centre these days.

However, the building is still there (more than can be said of Arbourthorne St. Pauls Church, formerly on East Bank Road) and although no longer used as a church its external archetecture immediately betrays its former role as a church so I thought a few pictures wouldn't go amiss.

Arbourthorne Methodist Church, Edenhall Road, as it is today.

I thought that "The Phoenix Centre" was the new ICT suite at The City School, Stradbrook Road and not this former church, which actually describes itself as "The Arbourthorne Centre"

..and those window frames around that sign still look very much as though they are part of a church.

I seem to be in the same situation as SteveHB with regards to this topic but that alphabetical list is great.

I noticed that Arbourthorne Methodist Church, Edenhall Road, is in the list and has been mentioned by plaintalker earlier.

Yes, this is no longer a church, it has been referred to as "the Phoenix Centre" and it is some kind of Arbourthorne community centre these days.

However, the building is still there (more than can be said of Arbourthorne St. Pauls Church, formerly on East Bank Road) and although no longer used as a church its external archetecture immediately betrays its former role as a church so I thought a few pictures wouldn't go amiss.

Arbourthorne Methodist Church, Edenhall Road, as it is today.

I thought that "The Phoenix Centre" was the new ICT suite at The City School, Stradbrook Road and not this former church, which actually describes itself as "The Arbourthorne Centre"

..and those window frames around that sign still look very much as though they are part of a church.

The main entrance still carries a crucifix above the doorway and there is evidence that the chuch tower once carried either a clock or a pothole window

Round the back there is a footpath that links to City Road and here there is evidence of some vandalism and some community use.

The whole building appears to be made of the same "red brick" that Norfolk School, which is just at the end of Edenhall Road, is also made from.

I suspect that both buildings were therefore built around the same time in the mid 1930's.

Hi Does anyone have a picture or any information about the Old Methodist Chapel on South Street, Park District?

Thankyou for any assistance PopT

Hi Does anyone have a picture or any information about the Old Methodist Chapel on South Street, Park District?

Thankyou for any assistance PopT

Hi PopT.

If I have done my home work correctly, the United Methodist Chapel

stood at the top of South Street (Park) on the junction with Shrewsbury Rd.

There is a photo on picturesheffield with the old Chapel in the background,

looks like it had other uses at the time.

Link .. picturesheffield

(1904)

Flash Earth

The Chapel is shown on a 1954 map, but no building is listed or shown in 1965,

so I presume it was demolished sometime between those dates.

The whole building appears to be made of the same "red brick" that Norfolk School, which is just at the end of Edenhall Road, is also made from.

I suspect that both buildings were therefore built around the same time in the mid 1930's.

Dave, thats really interesting as until I saw the photo of the back of the building, I had never realised the similarities with Norfolk School! When I used to catch the 95 bus into town I walked past this building every day, such a shame that it has been a target for vandalism. Once again, thanks for the photos - they serve as a memory jogger, even if that memory is not as sharp as it used to be he he

Dave, thats really interesting as until I saw the photo of the back of the building, I had never realised the similarities with Norfolk School! When I used to catch the 95 bus into town I walked past this building every day, such a shame that it has been a target for vandalism. Once again, thanks for the photos - they serve as a memory jogger, even if that memory is not as sharp as it used to be he he

I think that "red brick" was a fairly common material for public buildings (schools, churches etc) that were built locally in the 1930's.

I have commented elsewhere that Norfolk School and Woodthorpe School (also now gone) looked almost identical.

J

107 Brightside, Dearne Street Wesleyan, Dearne Street 1866? – 1977? (Amalgamated with...)

108 ... Jenkin Road Primitive Methodist Jenkin Road 1853 ? – 1972

109 Sheldon Street (which was the fore-runner of...)

110 ... John Street 1868 – 1940’s

K

111 Kent Road PM 1896 - 1957 (Later used by Salvation Army)

L

112 Langsett Road PM (now a petrol station) 1874 - 1955

113 Lopham Street United Methodist ? - 1996

114 Low Bradfield 1899 – 1993

115 Low Shiregreen, Beck Road, ?1937 - ?1998

116 Loxley c. 1885 – present day

M

117 Manor Wesleyan, The grounds of the Manor House 1808 - 1903

118 Cowlishaw Memorial Chapel, Manor Village Manor Park Crescent 1903 – ?

119 Martin Street PM Upperthorpe No dates

120 Meresbrook Bank Norton Lees Road/Cockayne Place 1898 – 1983

121 Millhouses Abbeydale Road 1936 – present day

122 Montgomery Chapel, Union Road 1866 - ?

123 Mosborough 1888 – present day

124 Mosborough Primitive Methodist Queen Street 1869 – 1973

125 Mount Tabor, Wellington Street/Rockingham Street 1853 - ?

126 Mount Tabor Wordsworth Avenue ? – present day

127 Mount Pleasant, Chapeltown Corner of Loundside and Mount Pleasant 1906 - ?

128 Mount View Derbyshire Lane 1876 – present day

129 Mulberry Street 1757 – 1780

'127 Mount Pleasant, Chapeltown Corner of Loundside and Mount Pleasant 1906 - ?'

see A New Church For Thorncliffe

Last year I saw some pictures somewhere on the net of the demolishion of

the houses that were at the back of Methodist Connexion Church Scotland Street.

I've search this site and the Sheffield library pictures but I can't seem to find them

now.I can't remember what year these old houses were demolished at the back

of the church but I know the pictures were in colour.

Can anyone help.

Oak Street Chapel, Heeley (built 1871)

27th August 1872

"duly registered for solemizing marriages"

Witness my hand,

Thomas Smith

Superindendent Registrar.

Oak Street Chapel, Heeley

1895 Valley Road Methodist Chapel, a Mission Church from Oak Street Chapel was opened.

(Not entirely sure what this means ...)

Oak Street Chapel, Heeley

1895 Valley Road Methodist Chapel, a Mission Church from Oak Street Chapel was opened.

(Not entirely sure what this means ...)

Could it mean the Valley Road Chapel was financially supported by Oak Street ?

St Gabriel's at Greystones was established in 1936 as a mission church of All Saints Ecclesall. It later became a daughter chuch of All saints, and eventually became a parish in its own right. As a mission/daughter church it wa administered by All saints, the curate-in-charge was appointed by and on the staff of All Saints, and although St G's had its own council, it was subordinate to the council at All Saints. St G's also had its own wardens, but they were not officially 'Bishop's officers'. So I think Steve's right.

S

157 St Andrew’s Psalter Lane 1930 – present day

158 St Luke’s LEP, Lodge Moor 1987 – present day

159 Christ Church LEP, Crookes Springvale Road ? - 1988

160 St Luke’s Wesleyan Northfield Road 1899 – 1985

161 St John’s, Crookes Valley Crookesmoor Road 1881 – ?

162 St Mark’s, Malin Bridge Dykes Lane 1834 - 1977

163 St Paul’s United Methodist Shortridge Street, Attercliffe 1836 - ?

164 St Peter’s LEP Lyons Street 1980 – present

165 Scarsdale Road Corner of Scarsdale Road and Chesterfield Road, Woodseats 1928 - 1964

166 Scotland Street 1764 - 1970

167 Franklin Street Mission 1867 - 1889 (Which became...)

168 Sharrow St John’s Sharrow Lane 1889 - 2007

169 Sheaf Street Primitive Methodist, Heeley Gleadless Road 1858 – 1897

170 Shiregreen Wesleyan (Present site of Hatfield House Lane) 1837 - 51

171 Shiregreen PM 1856 - 1947

172 Shrewsbury Road UM 1860 - ?

173 Sothall Methodist Church Sothall Green 1849 - ?

174 South Street 1828 - 1928

175 Southey Moonshine Lane 1845 – present day

176 Staniforth Road Wesleyan Staniforth Road (between Bray St & Garth Rd) Pre 1948

177 Stanley Street, Bethesda No dates

178 Stannington Knowle Top

179 Woodland View Stannington Road 1860 - 1972

180 Stanwood

181 Station Road PM, Chapeltown 1884 (or 1907) - ?

182 Stephen Hill Manchester Road, Crosspool 1866 – present day

183 Stocksbridge, Deepcar

184 Stocksbridge, Wesleyan

185 Stocksbridge, West End, PM Manchester Road

186 Stocksbridge Christian Centre LEP

187 Stoneygate High Green Area 1877 - ?

188 Storrs Storrs Lane

189 Surrey Street 1831 - 1957

158 St Lukes. Originally a Daughter Church to Christ Church Fulwood from mid to late 50s, certainly there in 1957. Used an old hut from the Redmires POW camp until the present building was built in 1966 ish. It became an LEP and its own parish in 1987.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2007 at 16:00, purplejumper said:

Here's Greenhill.

post-1980-1191911060_thumb.jpg post-1980-1191911093_thumb.jpg

Greenhill first appears on a Methodist preaching plan as a place of worship in the year 1797. The first worshippers probably used a local cottage or farmhouse for their meetings, until they built their first chapel in 1823. The date stone bearing the words “Wesleyan Chapel 1823†can still be seen in the end wall of the Old Chapel facing Greenhill Main Road. The chapel was renovated in the 1880’s and a schoolroom added at the back in 1904.

post-1980-1191911124_thumb.jpg

The present church with its tower, just round the corner into School Lane, was built in 1937. (They celebrate the 70th birthday this month! October 07)

my mum and dad were married there in 1949

This is the flyleaf of a Methodist Hymn Book stamped as the property of Park Wesleyan Chapel Choir and published in 1904. It was the property of my Grandfather, William Stewart, who was for over 50 years a lay preacher in the Norfolk and Brunswick circuits. He was also the secretary to the Local Preachers Mutual Aid association.  He lived in Manor Lane and was a stalwart of both Victoria Methodist Church and the Cowlishaw Memorial Chapel. 

Methodist Hymn Book flyleaf.jpg