Methodist Churches in Sheffield

Guest purplejumper

Guest purplejumper

The photo of Lopham Street on Picture Sheffield is under a search for "Lopham and Street" under "Advanced search" and its called "Brunswick Methodist Free Church, Lopham Street".

I went to Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Chapel and I seem to recall that the Methodist Church on Birdwell Road was in fact a house church , (ie not built as a church) bought to provide a place to meet following the closure of Wesley Hall and Grimesthorpe Rd. This was done as part of a large process of change under the banner "Sheffield Inner City Ecumenical Mission" set up by Dr John Vincent the Methodist minister who ran it and who was to become President of the Methodist Conference sometime later I think.

Hey! I found Lopham Street. Thank you so much. I haven't tried that "Advanced Search" before. Pretty cool.

As for Birdwell Road there's a photo here:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Photo...nityMeth_3.html

Is this right???

Hey! I found Lopham Street. Thank you so much. I haven't tried that "Advanced Search" before. Pretty cool.

As for Birdwell Road there's a photo here:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Photo...nityMeth_3.html

Is this right???

Hi, No , the photo you found is wrongly shown captioned as Grimesthorpe. In fact its the Methodist Church called Trinity Firvale located on Firth Park Road. The hall at the rear of the church was sold off as a mosque some years ago .

John

Hi, No , the photo you found is wrongly shown captioned as Grimesthorpe. In fact its the Methodist Church called Trinity Firvale located on Firth Park Road. The hall at the rear of the church was sold off as a mosque some years ago .

John

Forgot to say, I was right about Birdwell Road. It is simply a house (terraced I think) at 43 Birdwell Road, Grimesthorpe S4 8BJ.

You may be interested in the following about Churches in teh Burngreave area.

"Methodism was very popular in Burngreave during the late 1800s and 1900s. This was largely because the Methodist Church was seen as 'the people's church' and drew large congregations, particularly among the working classes. There were several different denominations active in Burngreave, including Wesleyan, United, Primitive and New Connexion. Each denomination built their own chapel in the area - the one on Lopham Street was a United church and Petre Street was from the Primitive school. Both were large, imposing brick buildings.

During the later part of the 1900s church congregations began to decline and change was in the air. Petre Street Church sold its premises in 1980 and used the money to build the new St Peter's Anglican /Methodist church on the site of the old All Saints Church on Lyons Street. Lopham Street Methodist Church decided to relocate to a smaller building. The Furnival pub on Verdon Street was bought and turned it into a church and community centre in 1996 and the old church was demolished and the site used for housing. "

Guest purplejumper

Forgot to say, I was right about Birdwell Road. It is simply a house (terraced I think) at 43 Birdwell Road, Grimesthorpe S4 8BJ.

You may be interested in the following about Churches in teh Burngreave area.

"Methodism was very popular in Burngreave during the late 1800s and 1900s. This was largely because the Methodist Church was seen as 'the people's church' and drew large congregations, particularly among the working classes. There were several different denominations active in Burngreave, including Wesleyan, United, Primitive and New Connexion. Each denomination built their own chapel in the area - the one on Lopham Street was a United church and Petre Street was from the Primitive school. Both were large, imposing brick buildings.

During the later part of the 1900s church congregations began to decline and change was in the air. Petre Street Church sold its premises in 1980 and used the money to build the new St Peter's Anglican /Methodist church on the site of the old All Saints Church on Lyons Street. Lopham Street Methodist Church decided to relocate to a smaller building. The Furnival pub on Verdon Street was bought and turned it into a church and community centre in 1996 and the old church was demolished and the site used for housing. "

That all now makes a lot of sense.

When I tried to find a church on Google Earth that looked like the one in the GenUKI website in Birdwell Road I couldn't see anything. Only houses!

So what the erroneously labeled picture actually shows is this?

Guest purplejumper

Hillsborough and Owlerton

Now... Can anyone help me with Methodist Churches in the Hillsborough and Owlerton area?

Obviously there's Trinity Hillsborough still on Middlewood Road.

http://www2.sheffieldtoday.net/features/pr.../pdf/p14-21.pdf

And I know about the Wesleyan Reform Union.

http://www.cairparavel.free-online.co.uk/o...on/history.html

But were there any others?

Archives have records and registers for: Hillsborough Trinity and a Hillsborough Wesleyan. There's a photo at PictureSheffield. Was it on Langsett Road, if so whereabouts?

Also there are archives for Owlerton Penistone Road UM, Owlerton Wesleyan (is this the same as the Wesleyan Reform or was there another?) and a New Connexions (which might be the same as the Penistone Road UM, as NC and UMFC joined in 1907 to form the UM's).

So any ideas to clarify this lot?

And just to add to the mixture, where does this picture fit in to it all? Was Trinity originally a Prim?

That all now makes a lot of sense.

When I tried to find a church on Google Earth that looked like the one in the GenUKI website in Birdwell Road I couldn't see anything. Only houses!

So what the erroneously labeled picture actually shows is this?

Yes, the photo you have mounted is of Trinity Firvale.

I don't know how to post a picture on here - can you tell me please in case I want to sometime?

Thanks, John

Guest purplejumper

there were two churches, one either end of South view road,

the first, Sharrow "New Connexions" http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...uresheffield.pl which is situated just down the hill from where I live ( the church's correct addess is sharrow lane) the picsheffield photos above were from 1906, when the larger sanctuary was opened, after the original new connexions chapel proved too small for the burgeoning congregation. it grew even more after franklin Street, south street and John street methodist chapels' congregations were joined with it after they were destroyed by bombs in the war.

the other methodist church, built at pretty much the same time, (1880s/ 90's) is technically on Vincent road. bit is on the corner of both roads, near their junction with Abbeydale road. It became a Sufi Mosque until recently.

There were two chapels called Abbeydale. Both buildings are still standing. There was Abbeydale Primitive Methodist chapel on the corner of South View Road and Vincent Road. It was opened on February 21st, 1893. It continued until 1949 when an attempt was made to rationalise the circuit after the Methodist Union in 1932. Most members linked up with Sharrow further up the road. In the Sheffield archives there are records between 1895 and 1949.

The second was short lived. In 1896 the Wesleyans bought Abbeydale House and Estate in Barmouth Road for £2,500. Robert Hey writes: “It was opened as a Wesleyan chapel on August 13th 1896. The project seems to have been ill-conceived from the outset. The desire to expand the circuit was greater than the real potential and the society struggled from the start.” It was closed in 1916, still with debts of nearly £2,000. For a while the building was used as a laundry. Now it seems to be used for storage of antiques.

Hillsborough and Owlerton

Now... Can anyone help me with Methodist Churches in the Hillsborough and Owlerton area?

Rev. Edward QUINE reverend (Primitive Methodist) 237 Middlewood Road,. Hillsborough White's 1911

Rev Josiah THOMAS United Methodist 108 Oakland Road, Hillsborough White's 1911

Rev. George NEWMAN (Primitive Methodist) 178 Dykes Hall Road, Hillsborough White's 1911

Rev. Alfred Henry HEADLEY (United Methodist) 28 Vainor Road, Hillsborough White's 1919

Rev. Samuel BATES (Primitive Methodist) 237 Middlewood Road, Hillsborough White's 1919

Rev. E Marshall MOYLE St Mark's United Methodist Malin Bridge Church h. Rippon Road, Hillsborough Kelly's 1925

Rev. George JOBLING (Trinity United Methodist Curch) 28 Vainor Road, Hillsborough Kelly's 1925

Rev. William Thomas COLE (Primitive Methodist) 237 Middlewood Road, Hillsborough Kelly's 1925

Owlerton

Rev. James William DINSDALE (Wesleyan Methodist) 56 Broughton Road, Owlerton White's 1919

Rev. Frederick JAMES (Wesleyan Methodist) 56 Broughton Road, Owlerton Kelly's 1925

HI

I cannot see any mention of Hallam Methodist church that stands at the junction of Nether Green Road and Fulwood Road, just below nether green school.

See the web site below for full history, pictures and other details:-

http://www.hallammethodistsheffield.org.uk/

Mark

It gets a mention in the Streets section

Woodview Terrace---------

Nether Green Methodist Church

Nether Green Council School

---------------------------------

Guest purplejumper

HI

I cannot see any mention of Hallam Methodist church that stands at the junction of Nether Green Road and Fulwood Road, just below nether green school.

See the web site below for full history, pictures and other details:-

http://www.hallammethodistsheffield.org.uk/

Mark

:rolleyes:

I bought the book "From Goole Green to Nether Green" by Neville Flavell. It's really interesting stuff.

Guest plain talker

Purple jumper,

how on earth did you manage to get inside Sharrow St John's to get those photographs?

I have many memories of that church, as I was in the Girl's brigade there, many, many years ago, amongst other things.

My ex husband and I were one of the last caretakers there, about fifteen years ago, and the place was going to wrack and ruin then, with the dry-rot, and the polystyrene walls, and dnagerous electrics (I was "zapped" on many occasions when preparing the church, opening up for the services.)

The last I heard, the sanctuary ceiling had fallen in, and I can see, as I make my way past the building, these days, I am saddened to see there are big yellow "Dangerous Building, Do not enter" signs barring the doors shut.

It was its centenary year last year, and I find it sad that it has now closed, due to the drastically depleted congregation and the deterioration in the condition of the buildings making it untenable.

Guest plain talker

Victoria Hall on Norfolk Street isn't in the same Circuit as Greenhill, Woodseats and Highfield Trinity (Brunswick). It is its own little (only the one Church!) Circuit.

The Victoria Methodist Church I mentioned in my post, which is on Norfolk Road in the Park district is not the same as the Victoria Hall Methodist Church on Norfolk Street in the city centre.

Oops, sorry, hang on! I think I may be confusing two roads that lie next to each other!!!

Could it be Stafford Road I'm thinking of, which runs parallel with Norfolk Road? (it's the next road down)they both join Fitzwalter road, the church is roughly the next corner up from the red circle, iin the triangle bordered by stafford lane

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&t=l&amp...SHEFFIELD,%20S2

Guest purplejumper

The Victoria Methodist Church I mentioned in my post, which is on Norfolk Road in the Park district is not the same as the Victoria Hall Methodist Church on Norfolk Street in the city centre.

Oops, sorry, hang on! I think I may be confusing two roads that lie next to each other!!!

Could it be Stafford Road I'm thinking of, which runs parallel with Norfolk Road? (it's the next road down)they both join Fitzwalter road, the church is roughly the next corner up from the red circle, iin the triangle bordered by stafford lane

<a href="http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&t=l&amp...SHEFFIELD,%20S2" target="_blank">http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&t=l&...SHEFFIELD,%20S2</a>

Here's Victoria on Stafford Road. (on a rainy afternoon)

There were lots of others in the Park area including Chapels on Talbot Street (gone), Shrewsbury Road (Gone), Duke Street (there is a church still there, but is it the same one I wonder?), and Wybourn Hall on Maltravers Road... There are pictures of all of these on the PictureSheffield site, but sadly NOT of Duke Street. Can anyone help?

Guest purplejumper

In the Grimesthorpe area there was "Wesley Hall" located on Wincobank Lane. This closed in the 1970's I think.

There was also one on Grimesthorpe Road on the hill near the Grimesthorpe end. I think this closed earlier, around the 1960's.

John

I had a look around the Grimesthorpe area this morning. (Why not?)

I found the house on Birdwell Road...

Then I had a look on Wincobank Lane. There's a playground at the top of Wansfell with gateposts and a couple of Memorials from a graveyard presumably? Did the Wesley Hall you talk about stand here???

Then drove back to Grimesthorpe Road but couldn't see anything left. There was an old Board School on the corner with an Old People's Home opposite. Next to the school was a hut advertising Japanese Martial arts!

I had a look around the Grimesthorpe area this morning. (Why not?)

I found the house on Birdwell Road...

Then I had a look on Wincobank Lane. There's a playground at the top of Wansfell with gateposts and a couple of Memorials from a graveyard presumably? Did the Wesley Hall you talk about stand here???

Then drove back to Grimesthorpe Road but couldn't see anything left. There was an old Board School on the corner with an Old People's Home opposite. Next to the school was a hut advertising Japanese Martial arts!

Attached is a photo taken about 1961 of a Whit Monday Parade of the joint Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform and Wesley Hall Churches ( I am the side drummer at the front on the right !). They are marching down from the lane ( no longer there) that tangentially linked part way up Wincobank Lane with Upwell Street opposite Reform Chapel. I am sure that Wesley Hall was just above where that lane linked in to Wincobank Lane on the right going up the hill . Thats not where you found I think. On the photo you can see the houses of Wincobank Lane just below where Wesley Hall would have been.

I went to the Grimesthorpe Junior School you mentioned and also went to one or two services at the Grimesthorpe Road Chapel. That was on the left as you went up the road about a third to half way up the hill .

John

Guest purplejumper

Great photo! I also love the advert for Sunblest bread on the wall behind the walkers.

From what you describe, do you think that the building you can see in the background on the left edge of this photo could be it?

Or has the church gone now?

Great photo! I also love the advert for Sunblest bread on the wall behind the walkers.

From what you describe, do you think that the building you can see in the background on the left edge of this photo could be it?

Or has the church gone now?

I have asked friends - the building you can see in the background on the left of the photo you pasted was indeed Wesley Hall - I am told they think its now a mosque.

However, they tell me there was also a Chapel further up Wincobank Lane on the left as you go up opposite the top of Wansfell Rd. That maybe the site you found. From the photo on Picture Sheffield linked below ( which they tell me is of that chapel) it appears to have been a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s04997

I was approximately right about the one on Grimesthorpe Rd. It was approx half way up the hill between Carlisle Rd and Botham Street on teh left.

Guest codeyes

I went here in the 50's to Sunday School:

A Brief History of Stanwood Methodist Church

Primitive Methodism came to the area in 1855 when the first converts met in cottages in the district. In 1860 Woodland View Primitive Methodist Chapel was opened on Stannington Road on a site donated by Mrs Armitage, the wife of a local mill owner. The building work cost £424-19-0d. In 1881 the premises were extended to include a vestry, primary schoolroom and a kitchen.

For the first three years the Society was under the care of Matthew Boyes who had fought in the Peninsular War under Wellington, but had by this time been a Local Preacher for 40 years.

A religious census of Sheffield in 1881 gave Woodland View as having seating for 100 with 49 attending morning worship and 50 in the evening.

The work continued with highs and lows until 1972. In the 50s and 60s a great deal of work was being done with children and young people in what was effectively one room and a small upstairs schoolroom. Sheffield Corporation were also talking of widening Stannington Road which would involve removing the Chapel frontage. At the same time a great deal of house building was taking pace a little further up the hill. All these factors prompted the Society to build new premises about ¾ mile higher up the hill at a cost of £33,089.63 and rename it Stanwood Methodist Church.

Since 1972 the work has progressed among children, young people and adults but at the centre has always been a worshipping community who are constantly seeking God's will for the Church.

The history of the buildings known as Woodland View Chapel and Stanwood Chapel is bound up with the history of this part of Sheffield and with changes in society over the last 150 years but the main concern of the people at both Chapels has been with the worshipping life of God's people and of seeking to bring others into a knowledge of Christ's saving grace.

Hi Purple jumper, Just an update on the house church on Birdwell Rd, Grimesthorpe.

I was at a Hinde House school reunion in Sheffield yesterday and was told that the Birdwell Rd house church either has closed or is shortly to close.

Cheers, John