Methodist Churches in Sheffield

Guest purplejumper

Guest purplejumper

I'm trying to track down all the Methodist Churches that have ever existed in Sheffield.

So far I've got over 100.

Here's Anns Road, St Andrews, in Heeley, now used by the Chinese Church in Sheffield.

Any one got any more?

Guest purplejumper

... and here's Trinity Mission, Broadfield Road - now an antiques place.

Trinity Mission Hall, Broadfield Road

“Trinity Mission Hall was so called because it was sponsored by Trinity Highfields and remained linked with the parent chapel throughout its life.

A group of people from Trinity held meetings in a cottage somewhere in the Broadfield Road area in the rooms over a cowshed in Gifford Road, calling themselves Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Christian Workers’ Association. The work prospered – despite the smell! In 1889 they opened Trinity Mission Hall in Broadfield Road… With the redevelopment of the area and the clearance of much old property the need for a chapel there declined and the mission closed its doors for the last time on the first Sunday in January 1957.”

Guest purplejumper

This is the Sunday School at Bethel, Cambridge Street. The Chapel was next door to the right.

An interesting piece of trivia is that when the chapel was built in 1820, it was ruled that trousers were forbidden to be worn in the pulpit! “Breeches were universally worn and trousers considered vulgar, so the following trust deed was drawn up…’Under no circumstances whatever shall any preacher be allowed to occupy the pulpit who wears trousers.’”

Guest purplejumper

Darnall Main Road

The Methodist Church was on the right, opposite the new Ecumenical Church on the corner.

Compare with one of the pictures on the PictureSheffield website...

Guest purplejumper

Gleadless Townend

Again there are pictures elsewhere on the internet of when this was very rural. It's a bit different today!

Guest purplejumper

Heeley Primitive Methodist, Sheaf Street

The Primitive Methodists built a chapel at the bottom of Gleadless Road (then called Sheaf Street), in 1858...

Guest plain talker

there were two churches, one either end of South view road,

the first, Sharrow "New Connexions" http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...uresheffield.pl which is situated just down the hill from where I live ( the church's correct addess is sharrow lane) the picsheffield photos above were from 1906, when the larger sanctuary was opened, after the original new connexions chapel proved too small for the burgeoning congregation. it grew even more after franklin Street, south street and John street methodist chapels' congregations were joined with it after they were destroyed by bombs in the war.

the other methodist church, built at pretty much the same time, (1880s/ 90's) is technically on Vincent road. bit is on the corner of both roads, near their junction with Abbeydale road. It became a Sufi Mosque until recently.

Sharrow St Johns was part of the "Brunswick" Circuit. the churches in this circuit included Greenhill Meth, Gleadless Valley Meth', Brunswick Trinity (which became an LEP- Local Ecumenical project) and joined with St Barnabas Highfield to form one congregatin. Mount View methodist chapel at Norton. I believe Victoria Methodists on Norfolk Road in the Park district is also part of this circuit.

Banner cross Methodists was part of a different Circuit, one which included the Wesleyan-Meth at crookes, and the Broomhill Methodist church.

there are methodist churches at Woodseats, at Millhouses, St Andrews Psalter lane (using the old Psalter Lane methodist church building, as an LEP, after the closure and demolition of st andrews at nether edge)

The pentecostal-y church , the "Kings Centre", currently occupy the old nether edge methodist church building, on Union Road.

there was a methodist church building on Edenhall road, Arbourthorne, which is now used as a community centre and adult ecucation facility.

In crookes, there is the Wesleyan Methodist church which I have already mentioned, and another Chapel, nearby which is now remodelled internally as an Architects offices. They had a very similar hexagonal design.

I can't swear to it, but I think the Mother of God Catholic church on abbeydale road may have been a Methodist church when it was originally built. I know the URC had the building immediately next door, which M-O-G have now taken over as the parish centre.

there were a number of methodist churches in the pitsmoor/ burngreave/ wicker area. The only one of which that still exixts is pitsmoor methodist church, nad even that was demolished and replaced by housing and a newer chapel in the 60s/70's.

there was a methodist church on the corner of crookesmoor road and howard road in walkley, and another one a little higher up .

there are hundreds of photographs of methodist churches on Picture sheffield, here

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl

Guest plain talker

just to add, a little more research shows that there were at least three methodist chapels in sheffield known as "brunswick methodist", the one on london road, one on Lopham Street (near spital hill/ pitsmoor area) and one on the Moor (which was destroyed in the blitz)

Guest purplejumper

Thanks for the replies!

Here's some I've taken of Sharrow St John's on Sharrow Lane. Including a couple of the inside of the building which has been condemned as an unsafe structure.

Guest purplejumper

Victoria Hall on Norfolk Street isn't in the same Circuit as Greenhill, Woodseats and Highfield Trinity (Brunswick). It is its own little (only the one Church!) Circuit.

As pointed out in another thread on the SheffieldHistory Forum, it's the 100th birthday of Victoria Hall. Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you....

It replaced an older building which dated from 1780. John Wesley himself led the opening services, his 25th visit to Sheffield, aged 78.

Guest purplejumper

Burncross

“….Burncross Methodist Chapel next to the Crown & Cushion on Chapel Rd. The chapel was knocked down a few years ago and 3 houses are in its place.”

Guest purplejumper

Dore

There was a Wesleyan meeting in Dore between 1790 and 1843. Did they stop because of the divisions in Methodism at this time? The Primitive Methodists had opened a chapel on High Street in 1861. In 1959 the building was “modernised, extended and re-consecrated.”

Guest purplejumper

just to add, a little more research shows that there were at least three methodist chapels in sheffield known as "brunswick methodist", the one on london road, one on Lopham Street (near spital hill/ pitsmoor area) and one on the Moor (which was destroyed in the blitz)

I don't have a picture of the chapel on Lopham Street. I know that it closed in the mid 90's, so is it still there? One reference on another website says: “Lopham Street Methodist Church decided to relocate to a smaller building. The Furnival pub on Verdon Street was bought and turned it into a church and community centre in 1996 and the old church was demolished and the site used for housing.”

Can anyone supply a photo of Lopham Street Methodist chapel?

In the Grimesthorpe area there was "Wesley Hall" located on Wincobank Lane. This closed in the 1970's I think.

There was also one on Grimesthorpe Road on the hill near the Grimesthorpe end. I think this closed earlier, around the 1960's.

Lopham street chapel photo is on PictureSheffield.com site

John

Guest purplejumper

In the Grimesthorpe area there was "Wesley Hall" located on Wincobank Lane. This closed in the 1970's I think.

There was also one on Grimesthorpe Road on the hill near the Grimesthorpe end. I think this closed earlier, around the 1960's.

Lopham street chapel photo is on PictureSheffield.com site

John

I've looked on the PictureSheffield site. Lopham Street isn't listed under the L's. Is it hidden somewhere else?

I have found four in Grimesthorpe. They are:

Hunsley Street United Methodist Church. The archives have records for 1878 – 1949.

Grimesthorpe Road Primitive Methodist Chapel. Again, in the Archives there are baptismal records for 1935 – 1972.

Wesley Hall, Wincobank Lane. The “Picture Sheffield” website also calls it Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Wincobank Lane.

Trinity Methodist Church, Grimesthorpe, Birdwell Road.

There are pictures of Wesley Hall and of Trinity Birdwell Road, but I can't find anything on the first two!

Guest purplejumper

Here's Greenhill.

Greenhill first appears on a Methodist preaching plan as a place of worship in the year 1797. The first worshippers probably used a local cottage or farmhouse for their meetings, until they built their first chapel in 1823. The date stone bearing the words “Wesleyan Chapel 1823” can still be seen in the end wall of the Old Chapel facing Greenhill Main Road. The chapel was renovated in the 1880’s and a schoolroom added at the back in 1904.

The present church with its tower, just round the corner into School Lane, was built in 1937. (They celebrate the 70th birthday this month! October 07)

I've looked on the PictureSheffield site. Lopham Street isn't listed under the L's. Is it hidden somewhere else?

I have found four in Grimesthorpe. They are:

Hunsley Street United Methodist Church. The archives have records for 1878 – 1949.

Grimesthorpe Road Primitive Methodist Chapel. Again, in the Archives there are baptismal records for 1935 – 1972.

Wesley Hall, Wincobank Lane. The “Picture Sheffield” website also calls it Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Wincobank Lane.

Trinity Methodist Church, Grimesthorpe, Birdwell Road.

There are pictures of Wesley Hall and of Trinity Birdwell Road, but I can't find anything on the first two!

The photo of Lopham Street on Picture Sheffield is under a search for "Lopham and Street" under "Advanced search" and its called "Brunswick Methodist Free Church, Lopham Street".

I went to Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Chapel and I seem to recall that the Methodist Church on Birdwell Road was in fact a house church , (ie not built as a church) bought to provide a place to meet following the closure of Wesley Hall and Grimesthorpe Rd. This was done as part of a large process of change under the banner "Sheffield Inner City Ecumenical Mission" set up by Dr John Vincent the Methodist minister who ran it and who was to become President of the Methodist Conference sometime later I think.