John Ruskin

RichardB

http://www.made-in-sheffield.com/People/johnruskin.htm

Extract :

Ruskin founded the Guild of St George in 1871 and first visited Sheffield in 1875 when the Guild founded the St George's Museum at Walkley.

The museum was built to house a collection arranged by Ruskin for the people of Sheffield, including prints, plaster casts, drawings, illuminated manuscripts, books, minerals, geological specimens and coins. By 1890 the museum had outgrown the Walkley cottage and was moved to Meersbrook Park.

-------------------------------------------

As a former Walkley resident, I wonder where the Museum was .....

Guest Noise Heat Power

In the mid-eighties, the Ruskin Gallery was opened on Norfolk Street round the corner from Tudor Square. It was a superb space and I must admit it's a real shame it's no longer there. It's a fascinating collection which is now in the Millennium Galleries, but the Norfolk Street space was perfect for it.

Re the thread title - Ruskin died 20 Jan 1900

I think it was a tragedy when they shoe-horned the museum into its little box in the Millennium Gallery. They used to have excellent temporary exhibitions on themes that would have interested Ruskin. I remember particularly a fantastic one of old and modern calligraphy. The little craft gallery was always worth a vist.

Ruskin House is between the Walkley Cottage and Rivelin Street. Most of what you can see is later than Ruskin's time, from when it was the 'Naughty Girls' Home'. The inscription above the door is from that era...

GIRLS' TRAINING HOME

RUSKIN HOUSE

That our daughters may be as corner stones

polished after the similitude of a palace

Psalm 144:12

The house is now divided into flats. I can't find a picture on the web apart from the old ones at picture Sheffield which wouldn't help you recognize its current form. (I'll try and remember to take a picture next time I pass).

Hugh

I can't find a picture on the web apart from the old ones at picture Sheffield which wouldn't help you recognize its current form. (I'll try and remember to take a picture next time I pass).

Well it's only 2 months later...

The older part is the part you can see to the left and rear. That is where the museum would have been. Martin Olive told me that the best view of that block is from Bell Hagg Road, if you go up somebody's steps a little way.

The main door is in the newer part and faces to the left...

Note the date, which I hadn't noticed before :)

Hugh