Streets and roads

Guest tsavo

Idly wondering what the difference was between a street and a road, I suddenly realised that all the city centre thoroughfares were streets, not roads. There are some, of course, Infirmary, Abbeydale and City roads, but they're not in the city centre. Is there a reason and if so what was it? Did the term road come in later than the term street? Someone knows the answer. Please tell. <_<<_< <_<

......and I was relying on you for the answer!

Bugger, you take me seriously ?

Not an answer, but a pointer maybe ....

I've worked with computers since 1985, pretty much since they arrived. Program files were either .com, .exe or .bat (way before Windows, vbs and scripts and stuff).

Now .com files were older and remained resident in a specific place within the stack of RAM, the new fangled .exe files could move around within the RAM, software such as Delta presented a menu, resident in Ram, which loaded sub-modules into Ram as .exe files, thus one .com file controlled several .exe files (and made much more sense than Access).

So, as a question, do Streets pre-date Roads .... or am I just talking rubbish ? it's a possibility .... probably ....

or has anyone an idea of the origin of Street and Road, why weren't they all called Way ? which at least makes sense ...

Cresent makes sense also, Walk ... yup, Lane ... yup .... Boulevard - get a grip !

I can't answer that, but there's a puzzle that asks (I think) "How many roads are there within the inner ring road in Sheffield?". Any guesses?

I can't answer that, but there's a puzzle that asks (I think) "How many roads are there within the inner ring road in Sheffield?". Any guesses?

I can't even imagine the Ring Road (been a while), I'll say none ... and look a fool lol

I can't even imagine the Ring Road (been a while), I'll say none ... and look a fool lol

Not far off. To be honest I can't remember the exact answer (CRAFT strikes again!) but I think it's about 3.

Not far off. To be honest I can't remember the exact answer (CRAFT strikes again!) but I think it's about 3.

So Street, Way, Walk, Lane, Gate, Mongoose-Fondler, Croft etc pre-date Street, now we need to work out a year when Road came into common use, and to generate a list of other names, Avenue, Crescent, Boulevard, Fishcake for throughfares.

I may have made one or two up ....

Lambert Street 1765 is an opening gambit for Street ....

Lambert Street 1765 is an opening gambit for Street ....

Lambert Street the outer edge of Sheffield Town at that time. See Gosling map. Up the Owls etc.

Using the Town Hall as the centre (I know, it used to be Fitzallen Sq.) I doubt if you will find a 'Road' within a 1/2 mile radius

Using the Town Hall as the centre (I know, it used to be Fitzallen Sq.) I doubt if you will find a 'Road' within a 1/2 mile radius

Off the top the 2 I can remember are Glossop Road and Leadmill Road. Any more anyone?

Guest plain talker

yup, most street names in the city centre are "Street", "Gate" or "Lane" (with the exceptions of the Moor, and Barkers' pool.

st mary's road, victoria Station Road, and glossop rd are about all I can find, and they mostly only border the city centre, not actually inside the ring road.