Malin Bridge

deejayone

On 28/12/2022 at 21:10, Suzy said:

Hi Hilldweller

Do you remember the allotments on the Stannington road side of the bridge ?

My uncle had an allotment ,he  lived in the houses opposite on Stannington road.

My sister and I loved to walk al😷ong Rivlin valley road to the woods and then to the park. Malin Bridge infant/ junior school would take us kids for an autumn forage to the woods .

Great childhood memories 

Suzy 

Hi Suzy, I well remember the allotents by the side of Stannington Road and also the tiny cobblers shop before the first houses started on that side of the road.

There was a footpath that ran along the length of the allotments, We used to walk along that and drop down at the end into the mostly dry dam of the Mousehole Forge. I seem to remember a couple of small children drowned in that dam at some point. We used to pick blackberries on the bank down to the dam. From that point we used to pick our way upriver to the next dam by the "Donkey Woods" . This next dam was mainly covered in a floating bed of weed, the sort that looks a bit like mini bamboo. We would climb over the wall from Rivelin Valley Road and very gingerly walk over the very bouncy weed bed until we got to the open water towards the far side of the dam. We then had the precarious walk back to dry land.  At some point more recently  the weed was cleared and it's now a fishing dam. I remember the paddling pool opening in 1951 as part of the Festival of Britain celebrations that year. When it first opened the playground didn't include the grassy banks around which were fenced off to protect the newly planted willow trees. During school holidays and weekends  the footpaths from Malin Bridge would be crowded on both sides by mums and kids going to a fro from the playground. When I drive along there nowadays the left hand pavement is impassable due to weeds and the right hand path is almost as bad. However the car parking by the pool is always full.

How things change.

And not for the better  !!!

Hilldweller.

On 08/02/2023 at 11:40, hilldweller said:

Hi Suzy, I well remember the allotents by the side of Stannington Road and also the tiny cobblers shop before the first houses started on that side of the road.

There was a footpath that ran along the length of the allotments, We used to walk along that and drop down at the end into the mostly dry dam of the Mousehole Forge. I seem to remember a couple of small children drowned in that dam at some point. We used to pick blackberries on the bank down to the dam. From that point we used to pick our way upriver to the next dam by the "Donkey Woods" . This next dam was mainly covered in a floating bed of weed, the sort that looks a bit like mini bamboo. We would climb over the wall from Rivelin Valley Road and very gingerly walk over the very bouncy weed bed until we got to the open water towards the far side of the dam. We then had the precarious walk back to dry land.  At some point more recently  the weed was cleared and it's now a fishing dam. I remember the paddling pool opening in 1951 as part of the Festival of Britain celebrations that year. When it first opened the playground didn't include the grassy banks around which were fenced off to protect the newly planted willow trees. During school holidays and weekends  the footpaths from Malin Bridge would be crowded on both sides by mums and kids going to a fro from the playground. When I drive along there nowadays the left hand pavement is impassable due to weeds and the right hand path is almost as bad. However the car parking by the pool is always full.

How things change.

And not for the better  !!!

Hilldweller.

Hi Hilldweller

Loved to hear your memories , which are mine too . Mum and Dad would take my sister Hazel and I to the paddling pool , It didn’t take much to create a bit of excitement those days. We would spend all afternoon either in the pool or in the park on the swings ect Mum had packed loads of  sandwiches for starving children and then we would walk through the woods.Great carefree simple days.

I was alway a bit scared of the dams , maybe it was after the accident , we would walk around gingerly , sometimes with our dolls prams in tow , those days it always felt like an adventure .When my sister and I got older we would walk for miles , sometimes with school friends along Rivlin Valley road to The Ladybower Dam . Mum would say be back by bedtime Lol

Great times

but as you say ,how times change and  the respect of  our beautiful country is lesser for it I’m afraid.

Regards Suzy 

On 21/03/2023 at 21:48, SteveHB said:

Hi SteveHB

Do you know the date when the photo was taken ? I don’t remember the houses on the right , they look new compared to the rest . My parents grandparents and their ancestry go back historically,I lived in the area  until reaching 19 ,when I reallocated to Cornwall .I’m tracing my ancestry at mo and really interested in the area.

Regards 

Suzy 

1 hour ago, Suzy said:

Hi SteveHB

Do you know the date when the photo was taken ? I don’t remember the houses on the right , they look new compared to the rest . My parents grandparents and their ancestry go back historically,I lived in the area  until reaching 19 ,when I reallocated to Cornwall .I’m tracing my ancestry at mo and really interested in the area.

Regards 

Suzy 

The description on ebay states "circa 1940", I have no idea if that is correct?

On 28/10/2008 at 14:25, Guest Gramps said:

Malin Bridge was a busy little place in the 1850s - lots of dams and waterwheels, some substantial houses, a farm or two and three pubs; the Anvil, the Yew Tree and the Stag Inn.

post-2650-1225203832_thumb.jpg

The earliest mention I've found of Malin Bridge as a place is the will of a William Fenton of 'Mallinbrige' dated 5th. May 1578, and another in March 1590-1 for the will of a Nicholas Hobson. Malin was the peculiar Christian name used by the Stacy family for several generations and I read somewhere that there may be a connection between this family and the construction of the first stone bridge here.

The waterwheel of the old corn mill on the corner of Stannington road and Holme lane is once again being restored to working order as a condition placed on the developers of the site.

Came across this map in the Malin Bridge topic and thought it was an opportunity to add two of Stanley Appleyard's photos of Myers Grove House featured on the map. The images are dated 1906. This is the first image (second to follow): A05-PG026-1.thumb.jpg.37cee99b4af8aca6ed4a3f94a9ba4a93.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Brian Appleyard said:

Came across this map in the Malin Bridge topic and thought it was an opportunity to add two of Stanley Appleyard's photos of Myers Grove House featured on the map. The images are dated 1906. This is the first image (second to follow): A05-PG026-1.thumb.jpg.37cee99b4af8aca6ed4a3f94a9ba4a93.jpg

Second of Stanley Appleyard's photos of Myers Grove House.   Not labelled but clearly the same location based on tree in blossom and out buildings visible in first photo:A04-PG044-2.thumb.jpg.8a19b58eb89192caa6991f07d08335e6.jpg

• Like 1

While searching British Newspaper Archive for  Myers Grove House, I came across the following reference to its sale in 1846.  The seller is Stephen Tingle - a "Steel refiner" according to the 1841 census.  Aside from the 19 acres of land included in the sale, there is a  "Cast Steel Furnace" and opportunities for working "Coal, Gannister and Fireclay".  I thought it was worth quoting the auction notice in full for the "pleasant Country Residence":-MyersGroveHouseSale1846.JPG.fa7e4004941eaa8f887c3a13ad9b41d7.JPG

On 23/03/2023 at 11:27, Suzy said:

Hi SteveHB

Regards 

Suzy 

The double span bridge was built in 1946, so after that.