Malin Bridge

deejayone

I know some of the trees had to be felled to help stop the flooding but to go to this

extreme is crazy.We will never see it grow back to how it was in our life time.

It now looks so stark and bare and to think they never even made the people

who have riparian rights aware of what they were going to do. Typical

I moved your Topic into here 'ukelele lady'

as there is discussion and photographs about work that's in progress around Malin Bridge,

hope you don't mind.

Steve.

Great photos by the way!

I have not come across the phrase riparian rights before. Does it mean the right to extract water from the river ?

I have not come across the phrase riparian rights before. Does it mean the right to extract water from the river ?

I'd never heard that one before either W.E.

It's explained on Wikipedia.

Learning all the time eh! :)

I agree it looks very bare, but in most places you can see they've cut back to the original banks/walls.

In particular you can now see the wall of the old dam that fed a mill on the site of Burgon & Ball (pictute 1), and the unique water management at the confluence of the 2 rivers that fed water to the dam from the Rivelin by transferring water from above the last weir to the Loxley so that it ran into the dam.

They haven't finished yet, so perhaps there's some replanting etc to be done?

A friend of mine has riparian rights to the river Don in front of her house, she told me

she looks after the plants, and trees growing on the bank side. She gets rid of weeds and

generally keeps it tidy. She seems to have a say on the stretch of water in front of her

home too as I'm told canoeist can be moved on from her patch. :o

I moved your Topic into here 'ukelele lady'

as there is discussion and photographs about work that's in progress around Malin Bridge,

hope you don't mind.

Steve.

Great photos by the way!

Thank you , I should have known it would have been posted somewhere before.

when i was a kid my folks & 2 of dads sibs had gardens just up a road from malin bridge.We used to walk there from beeley st., at bottom of the moor every weekend. I remember the bridge/wheel & we walked up a road where there was a bakery that made meat & potato pies.We continued up this road & came upon our gardens & a farm.

My sis & i had the job of collecting the cow dung from the road.Just below our gardens was a fast flowing river,where i once went over the weir & nearly killed myself.

Still have a huge scar on my wrist from where my jam jar for fish cut me to pieces, why? 'cos there was no way i was losing my fresh caught little fish.

Anyway It was a blokes fault 'cos he came down the opposite bank with goldfish in a tiny bowl & threw them in the river & i was chasing them to catch them,never heard my mom screaming at me to come back did i?

Another time when i was a baby i put my hand into boiling water there -another trip to hospital.

Even though it's a while since it was cleared, it still comes as a surprise to see it so open after driving down Rivelin under the trees. Nice to see some grenery growing back though, it softens it a bit. They just need to keep on top of it instead of letting it get overgrown again.

Guest wheresspot

Maybe your connection could be something to do with 'currents'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just love the photo with the school in. I grew up on Ellenborough Road, directly behind the school. It's so strange to see it as almost the last road before farmland (I think Norris Road is there just behind it, but nothing beyond but fields).

Guest lebourg

Memory....

Final release from prison (Myers Grove School) 1964 and throwing my cap as far as I could off the bridge into the river....

Memory....

Final release from prison (Myers Grove School) 1964 and throwing my cap as far as I could off the bridge into the river....

Ha ha ha .......... lol

Topics merged

They were taken in December 2011, when we had that major snowfall. I have more from all around Hillsborough and the city centre but i don't know where to post them to stay on theme!

Get a grip, man ! :P

Create a thing called December 2011 pictures and bung 'em all in there.

Moderators can link to them or move them if it's deemed appropriate.

Have you met the Link-Fairies that inhabit this site nowadays ??

They were taken in December 2011, when we had that major snowfall. I have more from all around Hillsborough and the city centre but i don't know where to post them to stay on theme!

No, I must say I have not had the pleasure as of yet Richard. I will just create the thing and let the fairies work their magic!

On 22/06/2007 at 14:14, Bayleaf said:

At Malin Bridge there is/was a clever piece of water engineering. At the bottom of what's now Rivelin Valley Road, before the road and bridge were there, was the mill dam for the Turner Wheel. Immediately above the weir on the Rivelin near where it joins the Loxley there is a cut taking water into the Loxley above another weir, unfortunately no longer there. At the other side of the Loxley was the entry to the dam, so that water from the Rivelin was diverted into the Loxley at the higher level and thus water from both rivers fed into the dam. The whole system is still there except for the weir on the Loxley.

A research group that I am involved with is currently working with the Environment Agency to renovate the derelict information boards on the site. The are three in total and one overlooks the feature described here by Bayleaf (a long time ago I know!). The cut is still in very good condition and creates a small island bordered by both rivers. The whole area is certainly interesting and very much returning to nature too. 

Watersmeet culvert.jpeg

On 26/08/2009 at 18:34, SteveHB said:

Maybe your connection could be something to do with 'currents' <_<

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post-188-1251307932_thumb.jpg post-188-1251309379_thumb.jpg

IMG_20221226_184320.thumb.jpg.59b3625970a83b89e6db552426ed9c5a.jpg

Postcard by The Loca-Vu Photo Co. Publishers Sheffield. No. 62. showing what appears to be an earlier date of the view above.

Postmarked 18th June 1915, one of many sent by my grandfather to his parents in Stafford. No family connection to the Loxley Valley, must have thought it an interesting view.

On 21/09/2012 at 23:41, Guest wheresspot said:

I just love the photo with the school in. I grew up on Ellenborough Road, directly behind the school. It's so strange to see it as almost the last road before farmland (I think Norris Road is there just behind it, but nothing beyond but fields).

Hi Wheresspot

I attended Malin Bridge infant school in 1953 until leaving for Wisewood Secondary when I was 11 

Lovely to see the area as I remember it , untouched by todays trashy shops and heavy traffic very nostalgic.
I have lived in Cornwall for many years now , but still remember old childhood haunts 

Suzy 

On 25/08/2009 at 15:20, hilldweller said:

Great photos, they show an enormous amount of silting has taken place over the last 50 years. When I was a kid in the 1950's and living nearby we used to play under the Rivelin Valley Road bridge and the top of the arches was way over our heads. I should think there must be 5 feet of silt or more. The arch nearest Rivelin only had a minimal flow of water and we used to build dens and light campfires. We used to cross the river along the large water-main running along the west side of the bridge. I remember making a map of all the little islands formed by the various mill goits as a kid, long consigned to the fireback.

Hi Hilldweller

Do you remember the allotments on the Stannington road side of the bridge ?

My uncle had an allotment ,he  lived in the houses opposite on Stannington road.

My sister and I loved to walk along Rivlin valley road to the woods and then to the park. Malin Bridge infant/ junior school would take us kids for an autumn forage to the woods .

Great childhood memories 

Suzy