Croft House Settlement

RichardB

http://www.crofthouse.org.uk/history.htm

Extract :

The Croft House Settlement was opened on 26th October 1902 by Alderman George Senior, Lord Mayor of Sheffield. The centre occupied premises in Garden Street, just off the city centre, in a redundant chapel building (erected 1846 as an annexe of Queen Street chapel)) and was the brainchild of rev William Blackshaw - its first Warden. Funds for its launch were raised by public events such as a Grand Bazaar in the Cutlers Hall in 1901 which raised the amazing sum of £1090.12s.5d.

The original settlement provided a gymnasium, a men‚s recreation room and snooker room, a boys‚ reading room and a large first floor hall for meetings, social events and sports activities. Public lectures were mounted and weekend camps arranged for men and boys. Games and activities were provided for poor children and a soup kitchen distributed to local families (the Crofts area being very low-quality housing). Girls classes and mothers‚ meetings were introduced later with classes in sewing and basic hygiene.

http://www.crofthouse.org.uk/history.htm

Extract :

The Croft House Settlement was opened on 26th October 1902 by Alderman George Senior, Lord Mayor of Sheffield. The centre occupied premises in Garden Street, just off the city centre, in a redundant chapel building (erected 1846 as an annexe of Queen Street chapel)) and was the brainchild of rev William Blackshaw - its first Warden. Funds for its launch were raised by public events such as a Grand Bazaar in the Cutlers Hall in 1901 which raised the amazing sum of £1090.12s.5d.

The original settlement provided a gymnasium, a men‚s recreation room and snooker room, a boys‚ reading room and a large first floor hall for meetings, social events and sports activities. Public lectures were mounted and weekend camps arranged for men and boys. Games and activities were provided for poor children and a soup kitchen distributed to local families (the Crofts area being very low-quality housing). Girls classes and mothers‚ meetings were introduced later with classes in sewing and basic hygiene.

Does anyone know the site of the old Garden Street Chapel?

I've traced one of my ancesters to 1795 as being made the deacon of Garden Street Chapel.

I thought that this could have been the Croft House Settlement but seeing when it was erected in 1846 I realise there

must have been another building before it.

Croft House was the meeting place of the first ever scout group in Sheffield in 1908. Aptly called the 1st Sheffield Scout Group, I cant remember when it closed but the group number was re used a few years ago and allocated to the Children's Hospital Group.

I used to go to the youth club in Croft House in the '60s. It was just up from West Bar roundabout in a big old building.

They did a lot of sports including boxing and weightlifting besides the usual football etc.