HEELEY DUFF'EM

RichardB

Extract :

As a child I wondered why HEELEY was often referred as HEELEY DFF'EM (Duffham was one of several alternative spellings). When I eventually plucked up courage to ask what "DUFF'EM" meant, I was shocked to learn that it meant, in the words of my informant, anxious to air his knowledge of local affairs, "Refusing to pay money ‘WHAT’ you owed" - dodging debts in other words.

http://www.oldheeley.org/oldheeley9.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lots of great stuff here, link posted before, but, posted again for the benefit of new SH members - enjoy.

Guest Marlene

Extract :

As a child I wondered why HEELEY was often referred as HEELEY DFF'EM (Duffham was one of several alternative spellings). When I eventually plucked up courage to ask what "DUFF'EM" meant, I was shocked to learn that it meant, in the words of my informant, anxious to air his knowledge of local affairs, "Refusing to pay money ‘WHAT’ you owed" - dodging debts in other words.

http://www.oldheeley.supanet.com/oldheeley9.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lots of great stuff here, link posted before, but, posted again for the benefit of new SH members - enjoy.

It actually was a term that related to the Toll gates of the times. People from Heeley who "had difficulty paying their way"would duff (meaning to dodge) their pursuing debtor by going through the Toll gate into Meersbrook thereby avoiding the chance of being caught, In later years it became a derogatory term used by Meersbrook people (who thought of themselves as higher ranking people) of Heeley people. Not that I agree either way as I've lived in both Meersbrook and Heeley, good and bad in both like anywhere else in the 50's/60's.

Regards,

Marlene