I was born in the real slums of Sheffield

RichardB

http://www.ourselvesourplace.org.uk/mt-1-1.php#

Other stuff here also ...

March 1933, that was the year I were born.The road, and indeed the area, where I were brought up, were notorious for being rouges and villains. Yes,you are right it was Alfred Rd, Brightside, Sheffield.

I were brought up to never tell anybody my true address because people would always believe I was of bad character.

Yes, I have known some very hard and cruel times especially before and during the second world war. I was just six years old when war was declared. My father, like most of the men and young lads of Alfred Road, was among the first lot to sign up to fight for his King and country. Most never came home.

The first of all the air raids hit Alfred Road and all the Brightside and Attercliffe areas very badly. Of course the bombs were intended for the very many steel works. I could give names to dozens of steel works in our area. These steel works brought wealth to the poor people of Sheffield. Well at least they gave them work and with work they gave them dignity and respect.

I could write a book on life in Sheffield. Maybe, one day, I will. For many years now, my husband and I live on the beautiful island of Cyprus. Even to-day, I'm asked what part of Yorkshire do you come from! Without any doubt I can answer with pride, I come from Alfred Road, Sheffield.

Hi, read your story, very interesting, thank you. My mother lived on Melville Road, and went to Carbrook School, do you remember Melville Road. I vaguely recall a joiners workshop on the corner of Broughton Lane. I think there was a builders merchants and a pub, the Bird in Hand I think. Many thanks, Richard

Guest jesse

March 1933, that was the year I were born.The road, and indeed the area, where I were brought up, were notorious for being rouges and villains. Yes,you are right it was Alfred Rd, Brightside, Sheffield.

I were brought up to never tell anybody my true address because people would always believe I was of bad character.

Yes, I have known some very hard and cruel times especially before and during the second world war. I was just six years old when war was declared. My father, like most of the men and young lads of Alfred Road, was among the first lot to sign up to fight for his King and country. Most never came home.

The first of all the air raids hit Alfred Road and all the Brightside and Attercliffe areas very badly. Of course the bombs were intended for the very many steel works. I could give names to dozens of steel works in our area. These steel works brought wealth to the poor people of Sheffield. Well at least they gave them work and with work they gave them dignity and respect.

I could write a book on life in Sheffield. Maybe, one day, I will. For many years now, my husband and I live on the beautiful island of Cyprus. Even to-day, I'm asked what part of Yorkshire do you come from! Without any doubt I can answer with pride, I come from Alfred Road, Sheffield.

Guest jesse

Hello there ive been doing some research in too my family history in alfred rd and i came across your piece about it ,my family came to sheffield in the 1860s and lived on alfred from from 1880s till it was knocked down my family are the Tuckwoods joseph harry my great grandad then my grandad was also called harry and my dad is also called harry its really interesting how my family lived on the same rd for nearly 100 years did you know them please get back in touch thanks Jessica.

Just a link posting by me, it's not my story - check the Link

I'm a 23 year old, bronzed Adonis type ... well ish Maybe two balding Adonii ?

YOU MUST HAVE LIVED ON ALFRED ROAD AT THE SAME TIME AS MY FATHER'S FAMILY - THE ASHWORTHS.

Did you know any of them? Nellie & Charlie (My Grandparents), Sammy (My Father - born 1937), Danny, Victor, Bernard, Winifred, Lily, Doreen, Dorothy, Susan & Janice.

MY MOTHER'S FAMILY ALSO LIVED ON ALFRED ROAD - THE GREENS

Ethel & wee pipe (My Grandparents) Vera (My mother), Barbara & Edna who died at the age of 15 from burning.