THE MUCKY DUCK/BLACK SWAN/COMPLEAT ANGLER

Sheffield History

Now The Boardwalk

*note - we've lumped all three in the same thread here - but we can split this out if you prefer ?*

Snig Hill, Sheffield, S3 8NA

INFORMATION

Managers - Terry Steeples

PICTURES

BANDS THAT HAVE PLAYED AT THE VENUE

The Sex Pistols - 4 July 1976

The Clash - 4 July 1976 (supporting the pistols - their first ever gig)

Joe Cocker

Patto

Be Bop Deluxe

Shape of the Rain

McCloskeys Apocalypse

Jigsaw

Curved Air

Bitter Suite

Chuck Fowler (the Killamarsh Killer)

Frank White

Shape of the Rain

The Wolves

New Jersey Turnpike

O'Hara's Playboys

Mud

Timebox

Sweet

Brinsley Schwartz

Argent

Wishbone Ash

Average White Band

Kilburn and the High Roads

Genesis

Patto

Vinegar Joe

If

Christie

The Platters

The Fortunes

LINKS

Guest codeyes

They used to have live music in the AFTERNOONS there in the 70's....I used to go with my brother Brian all the time when I was on leave:

Saw many of the above plus many more.

Mainly tribuite bands on there now but occasionally big names still play there....Quality small venue

Guest maxwell

Iworked in the building trade when Terry Steeples ran the place and it was a great meeting place when we were rained off and also on Mondays when a lot of the lads used to knock,and get in the Duck at 11'oclock for a session.Harry Bendon a comic was a regular turn.

Guest willo

:unsure: we used to go in the duck every weekend in the 70s,1 night noddy holder & don powell [slade] were in the audience,they 'd brought a band they were managing, not sure but i think the band was called nutz, i remember the compe're saying that the singer had sung donnah as a session man on 10cc's first hit [donnah].downstairs [cellar] there was a night club merrie england i think.the place was always packed to the rafters. i remember terry steeples [the owner] he was a top geezer & always willing to give local talent a helping hand. think the beer was samuel smiths [uggggh-lol] i seem to remember mr steeples even incorporated a posh gents hairdressers [alfredos] into the building,way before josaphines opened & did it.happy days.

Guest sezlez

You forgot to mention MUNGO JERRY I saw him there,came swanning in like he owned the the place, did a short gig and vanished.

Anyone remember Mighty Melvin, he lives up Shirecliffe now.

Now The Boardwalk

*note - we've lumped all three in the same thread here - but we can split this out if you prefer ?*

Snig Hill, Sheffield, S3 8NA

INFORMATION

Managers - Terry Steeples

PICTURES

BANDS THAT HAVE PLAYED AT THE VENUE

The Sex Pistols - 4 July 1976

The Clash - 4 July 1976 (supporting the pistols - their first ever gig)

Joe Cocker

Patto

Be Bop Deluxe

Shape of the Rain

McCloskeys Apocalypse

Jigsaw

Curved Air

Bitter Suite

Chuck Fowler (the Killamarsh Killer)

Frank White

Shape of the Rain

The Wolves

New Jersey Turnpike

O'Hara's Playboys

Mud

Timebox

Sweet

Brinsley Schwartz

Argent

Wishbone Ash

Average White Band

Kilburn and the High Roads

Genesis

Patto

Vinegar Joe

If

Christie

The Platters

The Fortunes

LINKS

Mungo Jerry - quality

Did he have the afro at the time too ?

(welcome to the site by the way !!)

Guest mick m

Yeah you're right about the hairdressers - that was there for years !

I used to visit the mucky duck on sunday nights in the ealy 70's. Seem to remember that Sunday evening gigs were kept for 'up and coming bands' - whent one night and was really impresssed by an unknown band and in particular the front man. They finished there set with an announcement that there debut single,to be taken from there soon to be released album, was to be releasded the next day.

Final song - Seven seas of Rye - Album Queen 1 - front man Freddie - no you dont forget nights like those. 35 years later still visiting Boardwalk on a regular basis - great venue which we kneed to keeep in Sheffield. if you have'nt been on the last Friday of any month get on down to catch John Reilly and the Accoustic Angels- well worth the trip.

Terry Steeples was an OK guy. His wife was very attractive and had a personality to match. I also remember when he was the manager of the Essoldo cinema in Rotherham. He was very good on publicity, and his publicising drew the crowds in.

Guest willo

Sorry to be picky but I believe Seven Seas was on Queen II

it was but i think it was their first release on EMI,the previous album being on summat like hallmark. p.s our kid lives in vancouver [another sheff expat] so perhaps you might nip & show him how to use hi pc so he can visit this excellant forum-lol.

Guest willo

as a p.s i think there is a version of seven seas on queen 1,but its more of an instrumental!.will mebbe get in the loft & dust the vynil off to check lol

Track list of 'Queen' (released Friday 13th July 1973):

1) Keep Yourself Alive

2) Doing All Right

3) Great King Rat

4) My Fairy King

5) Liar

6) The Night Comes Down

7) Modern Times Rock'N'Roll

8) Son And Daughter

9) Jesus

10) Seven Seas Of Rhye...

This is an instrumental only version of the song. The intention was to fade out of the first album with this song, and to start Queen II with the full version of 'Seven Seas of Rhye'.

it was but i think it was their first release on EMI,the previous album being on summat like hallmark. p.s our kid lives in vancouver [another sheff expat] so perhaps you might nip & show him how to use hi pc so he can visit this excellant forum-lol.

Where in Vancouver is he?

Guest willo

Where in Vancouver is he?

burnaby d.c. i'l check the full address & get back to you as i'm not sure, he's bo**oked me for the last 30 odd years for never writing-lol,i ring instead.

Saw Vinegar Joe (Lead Singers: Elkie Brooks & Robert Palmer) a couple of times there, Patto (several times) & Stackridge, as well as, many more on Sunday evenings at The Black Swan in the early 1970s.

burnaby d.c. i'l check the full address & get back to you as i'm not sure, he's bo**oked me for the last 30 odd years for never writing-lol,i ring instead.

Not too far from where I live in Port Moody

Guest acquiescefc

My memories are a bit later when Herbie Armstrong used to run the place as the Boardwalk. Nicest and most interesting venue in SHeffield.

Every band that played there signed the roof and Herbies 'Ad-lib' nights were unbelievable.

Legend

Guest Sixteen Fish

We were very frequent visitors during the late '60's / early '70's. The week before our first visit we had decided to give it a miss that week because we didn't think the band that had just released "Pictures of Matchstick Men" would be worth the trouble! Still regret that moment of rashness. Made up for it later though.

You forgot to mention MUNGO JERRY I saw him there,came swanning in like he owned the the place, did a short gig and vanished.

Anyone remember Mighty Melvin, he lives up Shirecliffe now.

My brother married the daughter of Ray Dorset's brother. I don't recall his name, the brother's, but he played drums in a 'comedy' band that used to do the WM clubs around Rotherham. I went along with my brother to see him (Ray Dorset's brother) one night at a club in Maltby. What an 'interesting' night that was! Talking to my brother's father in law afterwards, he was actually referring to his brother, Ray, as 'our Mungo'. I was in hysterics, inside that is. I couldn't laugh in the face of my brother's father in law, could I?