Hillsborough Park

deejayone

HILLSBOROUGH PARK

I spent many a childhood day in Hillsbrough Park, a vast area of mainly greenfield site in the North of the city, near to Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough Stadium.

The park itself is surrounded mainly by Middlewood Road, Parkside Road and Penistone Road and has many features, including the grand-but-now-seen-better-days Hillsborough Library (formerly Hillsborough Hall), a childrens play-area, Crown Green Bowling areas, Hillsborough Arena running track and rugby pitch and the lovely Walled Gardens which were built and opened as a mark of respect and tribute to the 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster of 1989.

One of the most striking features of the Park is the pond, which features two little islands for the wildlife to seek safe haven, including now-native ducks and swans, which are normally fed by children from the banked area near the playground. Fishermen can regularly be seen casting off from all around the pond, which does host a number of fish. I'm relably informed that small rowing boats were once available to hire on the pond, however I never saw these in my time. At one time, there was a grand bandstand on the top hill-bank of the north-west side of the pond - again, this wasn't around during my time.

Near the play area, almost central in the park itself, currently is a small concreted area where ice-cream vans can regularly be seen in the summer months touting their refreshing wares to the crowds of children playing on the swings, slides and climbing frames. In days gone by, the concreted area used to sit a small gondola-type hut. Apparently this little shack was popular with courting couples in wartime Sheffield.

I remember the boats on the lake, the old tennis court office where you could hire stuff out and the Sheffield show

Guest codeyes

The bandstand was there when I was very young. They had rowing boats that went all around the pond and paddle boats that only were allowed in the end of the pond near Broughton Road. There were tennis courts and also a putting green next to the tennis courts. The houses at the top and bottom of the park were the Park Keeper and Deputy Park Keeper's houses and there were also other "Parkies" around to keep order. One was Polish and was known as "Polo".

There was also a hut across from where the playground area still is and we called this "The Old Men's Hut" as all the old boys used to sit in there for a rest and a smoke.

The Park used to close at dusk and there was a bell in the building next to the Library that they used to ring to let people know that the park was closing.

At the bottom of the park where the car park now is was the Park Cafe...This was a White and green building that sold teas and snacks etc.

I could go on but I'd better get some work done....Later!!

Guest Horrorbelle

The bandstand.

I live on Hawksley Road, which leads right into the park, love going for a stroll through.

Wish the bandstand was still there...

I live on Hawksley Road, which leads right into the park, love going for a stroll through.

Wish the bandstand was still there...

If Hawksley Road is the one I think it is, there's a gap in the houses, the result of WWII bombing, and an interesting building at the lower end, someone provide pictures of the Bradfield Road end and I'll fill in the details, or set another "The answer is out there, but difficult to find"-type question ...

There's an estate plan from the time of the Dixons at the Hall, which shows a stream running more or less along the line of the path down from the lodge on Middlewood Road, and feeding the pond. About halfway down, about where the path goes off to the right and around the library, the plan shows a 'Roman Bath' built over the stream. I guess they were fond of a cold plunge!

The rowing boats must have been taken off around 1957, the reason given at the time being that they wanted to use the pond for breeding fish, but the paddle boats remained at one end until about 1980. The pond was drained in 1954 so that the concrete sides could be built - before then there were mostly large cobble stones sloping down into the water. The lower part of the stream referred to in the previous post could be seen until the 1954 draining/building work - now it flows through a pipe and still feeds the pond. The park keepers were real gems - one of them repaired my scooter for me when he saw me tearfully struggling home with it. Old "Polo" was actually from White Russia (Belarus) - though Poland is near enough. His real name was Pavel (i.e. Paul) and he sadly died of cancer in the early 1970s. The bandstand must have been demolished in about 1960 - I suppose the ironwork had rusted and become unsafe. I don't remember it ever having windows (which can be seen on the thumbnail above) but the bandstand was used for its intended purpose at least until the mid-1950s, and "Whit walks" ended there. The stone base remained for some years until it was removed, and it isn't possible now to see where it stood.

Guest alan_taylor63

I was fortunate to be born and raised on Penistone Rd right opposite Hillsborough Park. Firstly in one of the small terrace houses that used to be there before the leisure centre and later in the small row of shops opposite the bottom of Parkside Rd. There was Shorts general crocers, a butchers, a womens clothes shop (where I lived), Wongs Fish & Chips, a barbers and a driving school. I found the attached photo from sheffield library which shows the shops (though before my time!) and you can see my attic bedroom window, and the park gates to the left. We had no bathroom and an outside toilet, that was always full of spiders. I used to hate having to go! We found a huge hole one day in the back kitchen where rats had eaten their way through from the butchers next door and lived with the constant smell of fish from the chippie.

The park was a real treat being so close. I vaugely remember the park keeper Polo, mentioned in another post, the putting green, the old mans hut and also riding in the paddle boats on the lake.

We all watched the Queen arrive to visit the park for her Silver Jubilee and used to climb over the railings to get into the Sheffield Show. I remember as a child being amazed by the huge tents erected for the flower displays but my favorite was the Bassetts tent where they gave away free Allsorts.

My sister was in the Hallamshire Harriers and used to run at the track in the park, now gone.

The attached photo shows my family sat outside the library in 1963 (my dad is holding me). You can see the lovely old flower beds they used to have, the childrens library and the walled area that is now the walled garden. It used to be used for growing the flowers for the beds and was not open to the public. I always used to think it kind of mysterious, a secret garden only glimpsed when a gardener opened the door in the wall.

Your comment about the flower beds reminded me of one hot election day, when the children's library was being used as a polling station. The gardeners chose that day to spread half-rotted horse manure in great quantities on all the flower beds. There were accusations from some of the politicians that it was done deliberately to discourage voters!

Many memories of Hillsborough Park, both Children's and Adult Libraries, firework displays in the Running Track, the Bandstand, the boats, the bowling greens, the Sheffield Shows and attending Parkside Road School, don't recall seeing you there though !

Lived at Dorothy Road for a while, dentists premises, right at the bottom, overlooking the greens.

Guest alan_taylor63

Yes, I too went to Parkside Road School. Must have been around 1968ish before going to Chaucer Comprehensive in 1974.

Does anyone remember a church at the junction of Borough Rd and Park View Road? It's Swann Morton's car park now but the small side building remains which is a small methodist or baptist church itself now.

As children my sister and i used to go to an evening church club there called Sunshine Corner. I had forgotten about it until my sister reminded me recently. They taught us the sunshine corner song.

"Sunshine Corner keeps you jolly fine,

It's for children under 99,

Something something something something

Come to Sunshine Corner, it's the place for me." :blink:lol

Can't remember the name of the church but i think it was unused at the time of Sunshine Corner as I remember going through a back room into the darkened church itself which was really spooky. Also can't find any photos of it.

Guest Border Reiver

As kids we used to be taken into the prefab building down by the bottom gate. I think it was some kind of nursery for kids who's mums worked at Bassets.

During the middle of the day, when the park was full of people running around, shouting and playing, we were forced to go to sleep on bunk beds - we were constantly being told off for not getting to sleep and for talking.

I remember the parades at Whitsuntide, marvellous events for all the family.

I remember being taken by my grandmother to watch a Punch and Judy show - scary stuff for a young child watching Mr Punch beating Judy over the head with a club.

With the rowing boats, paddle boats and wildlife on the lake Hillsborough Park was a wonderful haven in the fifties from the back streets around Cuthbert Bank Road.

Talking of the lake, in the late 70's or early 80's they decided it needed dredging, and brought in a tracked excavator, which drove into the now drained pond and sank in the mud to the top of it's tracks. They pulled out a lot of mud and silt, which they proceeded to spread around the bottom of the park round the tennis courts. It was midsummer and quite hot, and the neighbours soon complained because it stank to high heaven. Then as it dried out a crust formed on top, but when the kids ran across it they went up to their ankles in sludge. Not very popular with the public, but the grass didn't half grow there later!

The Sheffield Show was for many years, certainly throughout the 1970's, held in Hillsborough Park.

Here are a couple of pictures from the 1976 event

Yes, I too went to Parkside Road School. Must have been around 1968ish before going to Chaucer Comprehensive in 1974.

Does anyone remember a church at the junction of Borough Rd and Park View Road? It's Swann Morton's car park now but the small side building remains which is a small methodist or baptist church itself now.

As children my sister and i used to go to an evening church club there called Sunshine Corner. I had forgotten about it until my sister reminded me recently. They taught us the sunshine corner song.

"Sunshine Corner keeps you jolly fine,

It's for children under 99,

Something something something something

Come to Sunshine Corner, it's the place for me." :blink:lol

Can't remember the name of the church but i think it was unused at the time of Sunshine Corner as I remember going through a back room into the darkened church itself which was really spooky. Also can't find any photos of it.

According to my wife who attended Calver Chapel Sunshine Corner Derbyshire, the missing line runs "All are welcome, seats are given free"

The church was still in use in the 1950's as one of my many cousins was married there. Regards Hilldweller

Guest alan_taylor63

According to my wife who attended Calver Chapel Sunshine Corner Derbyshire, the missing line runs "All are welcome, seats are given free"

The church was still in use in the 1950's as one of my many cousins was married there. Regards Hilldweller

That's brilliant, Thanks Hilldweller!

Thanks also to DaveH for posting those shots of the Sheffield Show in 1976. I remember being there and looking at that RAF fighter and the scaffolding which if I remember rightly was a parachute simulator?

That's brilliant, Thanks Hilldweller!

Thanks also to DaveH for posting those shots of the Sheffield Show in 1976. I remember being there and looking at that RAF fighter and the scaffolding which if I remember rightly was a parachute simulator?

I think the scaffolding was actually a climbing wall.

It has a picture of a mountain on it (looks like the Matterhorn but is probably supposed to be Everest :unsure: ) and there are some pieces up the side of it for hand grips / footings.

I think you're supposed to climb up it, with ropes and harness, to get on that platform at the top.

Guest alan_taylor63

Ah, of course you are right. The parachute simulator must have been a different year, or in a different spot.

Do you, or anyone else have any other photos from the shows? I would love to see more and have searched "picturesheffield" but there is not much there.

Alan

I think the scaffolding was actually a climbing wall.

It has a picture of a mountain on it (looks like the Matterhorn but is probably supposed to be Everest :unsure: ) and there are some pieces up the side of it for hand grips / footings.

I think you're supposed to climb up it, with ropes and harness, to get on that platform at the top.

Ah, of course you are right. The parachute simulator must have been a different year, or in a different spot.

Do you, or anyone else have any other photos from the shows? I would love to see more and have searched "picturesheffield" but there is not much there.

Alan

Sorry alan, 1976 appears to be the only year I have pictures of the Sheffield Show at Hillsborough Park :(

For me Hillsborough was a long treck across town, but I have a fair bit of stuff (some of it posted, some not, some in 8mm cine film format) of various shows that took place at Norfolk Park.

Seem to remember I went in 1976 because my university girlfriend, a lass from London who had never been to Sheffield in her life before (Yes such people do exist :o ) was visiting me and I was trying to show my home town off in a good light.

...There was also a hut across from where the playground area still is and we called this "The Old Men's Hut" as all the old boys used to sit in there for a rest and a smoke.

Here's an old photo showing the "Old Men's Hut":

Great Yorkshire Show (37th : 1874 : Sheffield)

Catalogue of entries of live stock at the thirty-seventh annual show of the Society,

held in Hillsborough Park, Sheffield, on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, August 4th, 5th, and 6th, 1874

The link includes a large scale map of the showground .. ludos.leeds.ac.uk

(Thanks to RichardB)