How many Sheffields?

Guest tsavo

Just a few photos of Sheffield Tasmania from the album. (1) The Sheffield Hotel, you might just be able to make out the name on the sign. It's really just a pub, they call them hotels here. I'm not sure of the population of Sheffield but there are only half a million people in all of Tasmania (about the same in Sheffield back home) (2) A typical house in Sheffield. Sheffield is known as the Town of Murals (3), many depicting its history and its romantic location, in the shadow of Mount Roland (4) and on the tourist route to the world famous 'Overland Track' starting at Cradle Mountain, Tasmania's best known and most photographed icon. Sheffield is a rural community set in some of Australia's most productive farmland. (5) Rush hour in Sheffield.

Just a few photos of Sheffield Tasmania from the album. (1) The Sheffield Hotel, you might just be able to make out the name on the sign. It's really just a pub, they call them hotels here. I'm not sure of the population of Sheffield but there are only half a million people in all of Tasmania (about the same in Sheffield back home) (2) A typical house in Sheffield. Sheffield is known as the Town of Murals (3), many depicting its history and its romantic location, in the shadow of Mount Roland (4) and on the tourist route to the world famous 'Overland Track' starting at Cradle Mountain, Tasmania's best known and most photographed icon. Sheffield is a rural community set in some of Australia's most productive farmland. (5) Rush hour in Sheffield.

So this Sheffield is not a bit like the one it is named after at all.

Some early settler must have looked at this very peaceful, tranquil bit of antipodean countryside and stupidly thought, -"hey this place reminds me of that dirty grimy industrial city I left back home in England! :blink::unsure: I know, - Ill call it Sheffield! :P )

What really makes Sheffield Park in Sussex beautiful is (in my opinion), this :rolleyes:

Is this the steam railway that Laurel and Hardy were famously filmed at, as quite eldery men, on their visit to Britain in the late 1940's?

Or is it the one used in the latter day remake of "The Railway Children" which wasn;t a patch on the original?

Is this the steam railway that Laurel and Hardy were famously filmed at, as quite eldery men, on their visit to Britain in the late 1940's?

Or is it the one used in the latter day remake of "The Railway Children" which wasn;t a patch on the original?

Laurel & Hardy were filmed at the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway in 1947 for the official re-opening after the Second World War.

The Bluebell was used for The Railway Children film made about ten years ago, the previous film version having been filmed on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.

Laurel & Hardy were filmed at the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway in 1947 for the official re-opening after the Second World War.

The Bluebell was used for The Railway Children film made about ten years ago, the previous film version having been filmed on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.

Thanks madannie, that's where I have come across Bluebell Railway before, - in the remake of "The Railway children"

As I said, I don't think this film was up to the standards of the earlier version and has not been shown as much as the earlier version even in recent years.

I think Jenny Agutter appeared in both films. First as the elder daughter and then as the mother.

I do get these southern railways mixed up and in film and photo they appear quite small.

Is Bluebell standard gauge but Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch narrow gauge?

Not sure why I didn't add this at the time:

The date for this was 21st March 1947, and the locomotive used for the official re-opening train was Dr Syn (originally Black Prince), built in 1931 by the Yorkshire Engine Company of Meadow Hall.

Not sure why I didn't add this at the time:

The date for this was 21st March 1947, and the locomotive used for the official re-opening train was Dr Syn (originally Black Prince), built in 1931 by the Yorkshire Engine Company of Meadow Hall.

I don't suppose Laurel and Hardy could have done anything without it being filmed.

Here they are at the opening, both elderly men at the time, and still as funny as ever.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4tJK0wOMFk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4tJK0wOMFk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I think we have most of these if not all.

From http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

Sheffield is a city in Colbert County, Alabama, USA.

Sheffield is a town in Caledonia County, Vermont, USA.

Sheffield is a township in Warren County, Pennsylvania, USA.

Sheffield is a CDP in Warren County, Pennsylvania, USA.

Sheffield is a township in Lorain County, Ohio, USA.

Sheffield is a township in Ashtabula County, Ohio, USA.

Sheffield is a village in Lorain County, Ohio, USA.

Sheffield is a town in Berkshire County, Massachusetts, USA.

Sheffield is a city in Franklin County, Iowa, USA.

Sheffield is a township in Tippecanoe County, Indiana, USA.

Sheffield is a village in Bureau County, Illinois, USA.