Old Cinema Tivoli

Guest skeets

THERE WERE TALL SLENDER PLANTS IN THE FOYER OF THIS CINEMA AT 12 YRS OLD WHILST MY PAL WAS LOOKING AT FORTHCOMING ATTR;

I WAS PUTTING A BENT LEAF OVER. ANOTHER THE USHER GRABBED ME TOOK ME TO THE MANAGER WHO CALLED THE POLICE. MY DENIALS AND TEARS WAS TO NO AVAIL. MY PARENTS HAD PAY 2/6 COSTS, CHEERS SKEETS

Thanks for that story Skeets, wasn't the Tivoli also known as "The Ranch House, on account of all the Westerns it showed?

Link to picture. (scroll down) http://www.rocknroll.f9.co.uk/cinemas/cinepho16.html

I really thought we'd already covered the Tivoli, but obviously not.

It's history:

It was opened in 1905 as Sheffield's first cinema. The original building was a mission hall and was renamed the Central Hall by the owner, Jasper Redfern and featured film and variety entertainment..

By 1911 he was in financial difficulties and the company was wound up.

After several months spent enlarging the stage and balcony it reopened as The Tivoli in 1914, but by 1915, variety acts became difficult to find as men were called up to the forces and the emphasis returned to films alone.

During the early '20s the building was remodelled and the new foyer featured a small lake, fountains and plants.

A serious fire in 1927 forced it's closure for several months and it reopened under the name of The New Tivoli.

It was damaged during the first night of the blitz and never reopened.

THERE WERE TALL SLENDER PLANTS IN THE FOYER OF THIS CINEMA AT 12 YRS OLD WHILST MY PAL WAS LOOKING AT FORTHCOMING ATTR;

I WAS PUTTING A BENT LEAF OVER. ANOTHER THE USHER GRABBED ME TOOK ME TO THE MANAGER WHO CALLED THE POLICE. MY DENIALS AND TEARS WAS TO NO AVAIL. MY PARENTS HAD PAY 2/6 COSTS, CHEERS SKEETS

The ornate facade was still standing after the blitz and pronouced safe ,I ended this topic

too soon , ironicly at 17yrs old i was sent by Frank Astling and Son with another joiner to repair the shell of the building and formed 2 shops using using the frontage ,1 shop was an electric appliances , can't remember the the name , we repaired and reglazed all that block including LEVYS the tailors, army stores, herbalists, sweet shop, hobbiesshop, the staircase up to the learner dance classes, Golds i think. I have related this info; on S Forum

Guest skeets

Thanks for that story Skeets, wasn't the Tivoli also known as "The Ranch House, on account of all the Westerns it showed?

Link to picture. (scroll down) http://www.rocknroll.f9.co.uk/cinemas/cinepho16.html

I really thought we'd already covered the Tivoli, but obviously not.

It's history:

It was opened in 1905 as Sheffield's first cinema. The original building was a mission hall and was renamed the Central Hall by the owner, Jasper Redfern and featured film and variety entertainment..

By 1911 he was in financial difficulties and the company was wound up.

After several months spent enlarging the stage and balcony it reopened as The Tivoli in 1914, but by 1915, variety acts became difficult to find as men were called up to the forces and the emphasis returned to films alone.

During the early '20s the building was remodelled and the new foyer featured a small lake, fountains and plants.

A serious fire in 1927 forced it's closure for several months and it reopened under the name of The New Tivoli.

Tsavo, lroniclly l worked on the old Tivoli around 1944, the front facade was mostly intact, and declared safe , in the double arched front , we formed two plate glass windows and doorways, the interior divided, they opened 1 as Ncb Electrics, And 2 The Empire rib co had the other as an umberella shop, do you remember these . Skeets.

Guest tsavo

The Tivoli, Norfolk St / Union St. -

Was opened in 1905 as the first Sheffield cinema. The original building was a Mission Hall and was renamed the Central Hall by the owner, Jasper Redfern and featured film and variety entertainment..

By 1911 he was in financial difficulties and the company was wound up and a new company took over.

During the early 1920s the building was remodelled and the new foyer featured a small lake, fountains and plants.

The address was originally Norfolk St but this part of it was later to become Union Street.

Info: "Sheffield Cinemas" / Tsavo