Hillsborough Corner

deejayone

Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 09.06.25.jpg

Here is how Hillsborough Corner looked in 1979 taken from the (now gone) row of shops on Holme Lane

Shops on Holme Lane showing (l. to r.) No. 8 F. Wilson, butchers and confectioners, No. 6 Bens and Nos. 2 - 4 Eve's, fruiterer

17 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Where's that please?

Right on the corner where Subway stands now (at the time of writing)

• Thanks 1

I remember Hemnings grocery shop on Holme Lane. There were boxes of biscuits along the front of the counter. Across the road on Middlewood Road was Styans a bread and cake shop. 

• Like 1

On 19/06/2012 at 22:39, Guest dingdong said:

I think Cloughs had both chemists until the one way was introduced and the one nearer Malin Bridge was demolished.

I too remember that lightning bolt falling, I think the property which it severely damaged was one of those back to back cottages which started just opposite Cloughs' and ran to about where the Park and Ride is now.

Yes, my nan and aunt and uncle lived next to Clayton's. My aunt was called Nellie Sanders and was very involved with Hillsborough Baptist Church on Taplin Road - amongst other things, she ran the Girls' Brigade there for many, many years. In the sixties, being ardent Wednesday supporters, not only did they have the house painted blue and white; their budgie was called Tommy Craig.

I lived in Harrison Road which runs up from the top end of Taplin Road.

Jack & Vera Clayton were my grandparents. They lived at the back/over top of the chemists for a time, my mum was born there. 

Does anybody have any memories of Clayton's Ice Cream Factory? 

It would be great to hear.

Thanks

On 01/04/2020 at 19:19, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 19.17.20.jpg

Hillsborough Corner facing down Holme Lane

The buildings on the left were demolished. The large shop with three windows and a door on the left hand side was 'Coffee and Cream' which was a coffee shop in Hillsborough up until the buildings were torn down.

Does anyone remember there used to be a Chinese restaurant on the upper floor middle of this building ?   We used to go there sometimes at dinner time, they did a really cheap 3 course "lunch".  This would be around 1975.  Can't remember where the stairs were situated.

8 minutes ago, 31dec1966 said:

Does anyone remember there used to be a Chinese restaurant on the upper floor middle of this building ?   We used to go there sometimes at dinner time, they did a really cheap 3 course "lunch".  This would be around 1975.  Can't remember where the stairs were situated.

I used this restaurant extensively throughout much of the sixties, The entrance was right in the middle of the block and steep stairs led up to a landing and I seem to remember that you turned left into the dining room to be greeted by the head waiter.