Hillsborough Corner

deejayone

My mum was the cleaner at "The Ranch" (as she called it) and turned up for work one morning to find the place had burnt down. The view at the time was that the fire had been set deliberately.

I have many memories of the shop from the 1950's/early 60's when it was Boulter's Chemist - my mother's family home was 2 Haden Street, just across the road, so we went in there often. I can still remember the lovely smell in there - Woods of Windsor soaps etc - and I loved going in and looking at all they had on sale - not when young Mr Boulter was around though! I remember both young and old Messrs Boulter; young Mr Boulter was in charge of the shop and his father, retired by that time, was only there occasionally. I was very much in awe of young Mr Boulter, because he was very po-faced and quite stern. The shop, although it had living accommodation behind, was a "lock-up" and no-one actually lived on the premises. There was also an assistant called Barbara Carter. Barbara was lovely and had dark curly hair, which she wore piled up on the top of her head. When I was a little girl, I thought she was SO glamorous and sophisticated in her white overall and bright lipstick.

I remember one occasion when Barbara was frightened out of her wits and screamed so loudly that we heard her from across the road. She was going into the back of the shop and was shocked to see a snake curled up at the bottom of the stairs. My mother went across to deal with it and I believe the locals knew to whom it belonged, apparently it had escaped quite some time before.

The Cloughs, who had another chemist shop higher up Holme Lane next to the old St Polycarp's tin hut at the bottom of Loxley New Road, bought the shop when young Mr Boulter retired. I thought the Cloughs very posh, but liked them a lot, both Mr and Mrs Clough were lovely people. Mrs Clough had very dark hair, was always beautifully made up, wore elegant clothes and was very attractive. Mr Clough had very tightly curled, wavy hair, which I think he controlled with Brylcreem or the like, it always looked shiny.

There are loads of posts on Sheffield Forum about Hillsborough/Holme Lane and its shops.

Thank you for reminding me of the names of those chemist businesses.

I remember Cloughs Chemists in the wedge shaped shop at the junction of Loxley New Road and Holme Lane.

I also remember, as a little lad, standing in our back garden in a street off Holme Lane on a hot sultry afternoon and gazing "thunderstruck" (excuse the pun) as a ball lightning slowly meandered down from the clouds and struck a chimney stack on the side of Clough's Chemist.

I ran down to see where it had struck and it had split the brickwork on the chimney gable and started a fire inside.

I didn't realise that they had moved into Boulter's Chemist when the one-way system was built. I had moved away from Hillsborough by then.

I also remember Fox's Chemist on Dykes Hall Road which used to be advertised in a short trailer clip at the Hillsborough Kinema. He appeared flanked by his "glamorous assistants" behind his counter.

Incidently I used to deliver papers for Mr. Falding and my round included Haden Street. I'm sure I used to deliver a paper to number 2 which was beside the lane that served Mr. Clayton's ice cream factory.

HD

Guest dingdong

Thank you for reminding me of the names of those chemist businesses.

I remember Cloughs Chemists in the wedge shaped shop at the junction of Loxley New Road and Holme Lane.

I also remember, as a little lad, standing in our back garden in a street off Holme Lane on a hot sultry afternoon and gazing "thunderstruck" (excuse the pun) as a ball lightning slowly meandered down from the clouds and struck a chimney stack on the side of Clough's Chemist.

I ran down to see where it had struck and it had split the brickwork on the chimney gable and started a fire inside.

I didn't realise that they had moved into Boulter's Chemist when the one-way system was built. I had moved away from Hillsborough by then.

I also remember Fox's Chemist on Dykes Hall Road which used to be advertised in a short trailer clip at the Hillsborough Kinema. He appeared flanked by his "glamorous assistants" behind his counter.

Incidently I used to deliver papers for Mr. Falding and my round included Haden Street. I'm sure I used to deliver a paper to number 2 which was beside the lane that served Mr. Clayton's ice cream factory.

HD

I think Cloughs had both chemists until the one way was introduced and the one nearer Malin Bridge was demolished.

I too remember that lightning bolt falling, I think the property which it severely damaged was one of those back to back cottages which started just opposite Cloughs' and ran to about where the Park and Ride is now.

Yes, my nan and aunt and uncle lived next to Clayton's. My aunt was called Nellie Sanders and was very involved with Hillsborough Baptist Church on Taplin Road - amongst other things, she ran the Girls' Brigade there for many, many years. In the sixties, being ardent Wednesday supporters, not only did they have the house painted blue and white; their budgie was called Tommy Craig.

I lived in Harrison Road which runs up from the top end of Taplin Road.

I think Cloughs had both chemists until the one way was introduced and the one nearer Malin Bridge was demolished.

I too remember that lightning bolt falling, I think the property which it severely damaged was one of those back to back cottages which started just opposite Cloughs' and ran to about where the Park and Ride is now.

Yes, my nan and aunt and uncle lived next to Clayton's. My aunt was called Nellie Sanders and was very involved with Hillsborough Baptist Church on Taplin Road - amongst other things, she ran the Girls' Brigade there for many, many years. In the sixties, being ardent Wednesday supporters, not only did they have the house painted blue and white; their budgie was called Tommy Craig.

It was definately Clough's the chemists it struck. The main entrance on the corner faced down Holme Lane and there was a side door just up Loxley New Road where we used to go to be served after hours when the quack gave you an urgent prescription.

I remember standing outside this door watching the firemen inside dealing with a small fire. There was a big pile of bricks on the pavement beside the door.

I lived on the upper part of Wood Road.

Do you remember when the big water pipes burst outside old Mrs. Jeffries sweet shop and caused a flood ?

Her daughter Mrs. Unwin had the greengrocers shop across the road.

HD

Fred wilson was the name of the owner of the car sales on Bradfield rd. My dad and I used to buy our cars therefor years.

The White Buildings provided accomodation for a range of shops on the ground floor and upstairs was a snooker hall when I was a kid. The snooker hall was later replaced by a chinese restaurant in the sixties.
They weren't replaced by a brick-built building as previously posted but the white tile finish (fiance ?) was removed when it became unsafe and the building was re-clad in a orange red brick.
The end shop by the Walkley Lane ( Hill Bridge ) bridge was for years occupied by an Interflora shop with a police call box in the corner.
Under the corner of the Langsett Road bridge was a shuttle leading off the top of the present weir and a tunnel under the road to the by then drained dam which was eventually filled in and the motor dealership built on it at the top of Bradfield Road. I can't recall the name of the dealer but he sold Rootes (sp) Group motors such as Hillmans and I think his son sold Saab or Volvo from the same site.
HD

Fred wilson was the name of the owner of the car sales on Bradfield rd. My dad and I used to buy our cars therefor years.

I bought my second car there from Fred Wilson's. Later they moved to the then new indistrial estate at the bottom of Herries Road.

Guest lindaahutchins
On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2012 at 22:39, dingdong said:

I remember Nellie Sanders well - what a lovely jolly lady she was and died tragically young. We were only talking about her the other day, (discussing if she was Sanders or Saunders so you have answered my question) when I found some old photos with her on them. If I remember rightly her brother was killed in WW2? I was a member of what was then the Girls Life Brigade at Hillsborough Baptist Church and have fond memories of my time there. There was also a Boys Brigade there led by Eric Newton. The Christian Endeavour youth club was led by Harry Parkinson - another lovely hard-working person - such good role models! Happy memories! - where has the time gone?

On 19/01/2012 at 18:42, togger said:

I remember Faldings opposite Holme Close, but i cant for the life of me remember the other name of the newsagents

Hi, I delivered papers in the 70s for the newsagents that I think you mean - it was called J&KW Jones if my memory serves :)

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 19.17.20.jpg

Hillsborough Corner facing down Holme Lane

The buildings on the left were demolished. The large shop with three windows and a door on the left hand side was 'Coffee and Cream' which was a coffee shop in Hillsborough up until the buildings were torn down.

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 12.54.39.jpg

Hillsborough Corner showing Peter Pell clothes shop, Davy's, and Boots chemist (never knew there was a Boots there!)