Hillsborough Corner

deejayone

I sustained myself with the two quart flagons of Tetley's ale

Such is my lack of interest in fishing that I would probably have done the same hilldweller, and then supplimented it with a bit more in the nearest boozer.

Guest bullerboy

Across the road from Timo's was a flower shop, jewellers (H. Samuels?), record shop and above them was a chinese restaraunt (Silver Dragon?) which was later convert into a Gym (was it women only?) . These were all flattened to make way for Supertram.

Round the corner from Timo's - longer back still - there used to be a garage. I remember fetching blue parafin for my parents fire. The garage had a strange machine with a clear cylinder on top which I filled by pumping a lever, then let it run out into a 5 gallon drum. Probably it wasn't good for a kid to be doing that but it was back in the day before people became worried over it.

And then there was the chip shop on Braddie road where I'd go and get fish suppers for the family. I always asked for a Tail End because I thought they were bigger and made sure to get bags of scraps. There was a newspaper shop next door.

I lived round the corner on Rudyard Road... school holiday's were spent at Hillsborough baths in the Fun Sessions when they got all the inflatables out. We lived in that place. Even went to the "slipper baths" once or twice - anyone remember them?

Barclays bank was on the corner at the top of Rudyard, long before it became Sarah's restaraunt. I joined them when I was around 10 and still have an account today.

The jewellers was Butlers.

Guest bullerboy

The remains of the White buildings, that is the cladding, lie in the rear garden of a house on Singleton Road.

The coffee shop was Coffee and Creme, previously Curtiss Shoes, the chinese restaurant was originally called the Bluebird - but had to change its name to Silver Dragon because one already had that name.

The jewellers were Butlers and the flower shop was the Flower Bowl.

On the opposite side of Walkley Lane was Credlands Paints, further up the lane was the Gents hairdressers then the Bridge Cafe.

Across Holme Lane was Hemmings grocers, a milliners, then Neville Read tailors, then Carons Gowns in the old Hillsboro Inn.

On the corner of Middlewood Road and Bradfield Road was Burtons the Tailors, above it was J. Thorpe, bookie.

Across from that was Fred Wisons (Wilsons ?) garage and petrol stn, Harley Mann fishmonger and Timpsons Shoes and Burgess's tailors and higher up was Blanchards (a branch of the one on Infirmary Road)

Thats all for now.

Great detail - What year(s) are we looking at here please Bullerboy ?

(I edited your post, just to separate out the lines, hope you don't mind).

The remains of the White buildings, that is the cladding, lie in the rear garden of a house on Singleton Road.

The coffee shop was Coffee and Creme, previously Curtiss Shoes, the chinese restaurant was originally called the Bluebird - but had to change its name to Silver Dragon because one already had that name.

The jewellers were Butlers and the flower shop was the Flower Bowl.

On the opposite side of Walkley Lane was Credlands Paints, further up the lane was the Gents hairdressers then the Bridge Cafe.

Across Holme Lane was Hemmings grocers, a milliners, then Neville Read tailors, then Carons Gowns in the old Hillsboro Inn.

On the corner of Middlewood Road and Bradfield Road was Burtons the Tailors, above it was J. Thorpe, bookie.

Across from that was Fred Wisons (Wilsons ?) garage and petrol stn, Harley Mann fishmonger and Timpsons Shoes and Burgess's tailors and higher up was Blanchards (a branch of the one on Infirmary Road)

Thats all for now.

Guest bullerboy

Richard B,sorry I can't be more specific of the years its just as I remember it,theres a lot more in the space on my shoulders!

Richard B,sorry I can't be more specific of the years its just as I remember it, theres a lot more in the space on my shoulders!

I can remember virtually all the shops mentioned. i would think we're talking about the late 50's early sixties. I have a distant memory of the Hillsborough Inn still being open as I used to get the straw for my pet rabbit from a dealer in the passage down the side of the pub.

I also remember Johnsons, a little DIY place a couple of shops along from Credlands on Holme Lane. They used to saw wood to size in a little workshop around the back.

It makes me cry now to see the present state of Middlewood Road (always known to us as "The Bottom") and Holme Lane. In those days a thriving shopping centre with high-class shops selling provisions, gowns, and anything you could possibly want. Parkers had two quality outfitters. one on each road, as well as a Jewellers shop. Althams sold kitchen ware and railway tickets, the train timetables to exotic places like Penzance and Burnley were pasted up outside. The Co-op originally were in several premises and as well as Hemmings, there were Shentalls, Gowers and Burgons (separate shops at first) and Styans (not to confused with Styrans the herbalist). There was the newsagents owned by the Kay sisters with a steady clientelle of blokes in mackintoshes who left clutching brown paper parcels. They always served me first with my comics and told me to hurry along. There was the piklet shop of Mr. Moule with his flashing spatula and coke fired hotplate. And not forgetting Howards Dairy ices served through a flap in the summer.

Nowadays estate agents, poundshops and charity shops abound together with boarded up premises.

Sad times.

HD

If you come down Walkley lane past the Masons pub on your left and look across the road, i remember a newsagents being there but cannot for the life of me remember the name. I can remember the newsagents was called after the chaps surname. Can anyone help ?

If you come down Walkley lane past the Masons pub on your left and look across the road, i remember a newsagents being there but cannot for the life of me remember the name. I can remember the newsagents was called after the chaps surname. Can anyone help ?

My wartime Kelly's directory lists Wood's newsagents which sounds vaguely familiar. Perhaps some kind soul with a 60's / 70's Kelly's will have a look for you.

I took papers for Faldings just past the tramsheds.

HD

My wartime Kelly's directory lists Wood's newsagents which sounds vaguely familiar. Perhaps some kind soul with a 60's / 70's Kelly's will have a look for you.

HD

In my 1970 Kellys 16 Holme Lane is shown as Bushells Newsagents

I asume this is the address you mean

Next to The Flower Bowl .. picturesheffield

In 1970 the Flower Bowl was accross the rd at No.13, together with

1/3 Curtess Shoes

5 Hodgsons Camera Shop

11 The Fireplace Shop

13 The Flower Bowl

------

Walkley Lane

-------

Looks like they reloacted when the Supertram was built and that block was demolished.

In my 1970 Kellys 16 Holme Lane is shown as Bushells Newsagents

I asume this is the address you mean

1965 Kelly's directory, Holme Lane, S6.

12/14, J Hemmines & Sons Ltd. grocers.

16, A B P Monaghan, stationer.

20, Mrs. Alice M Stokes, ladie's hairdresser.

1965 Kelly's directory, Holme Lane, S6.

12/14, J Hemmines & Sons Ltd. grocers.

16, A B P Monaghan, stationer.

20, Mrs. Alice M Stokes, ladie's hairdresser.

I remember Mrs. Stokes' hairdressers. In the early 70's I lived just around the corner on Hillsborough Place, and my new wife had her hair done there.

Mrs. Stokes also had a display of fine bone china in the window which she also sold.

HD

Next to The Flower Bowl .. picturesheffield

Thats it, but i cant make out the name.

Just as a point, i tried to click on one of those maps on the site earlier for Sheffield Park #69 and it would not work ?

Guest RichardT

I used to work at Buoyant Upholstery in Proctor Place in the late 70's for what it is worth...They (Buoyant) took over the original company (I forget what they were called) but they had old premises on Rudyard Road.

Guest sansilenti

Can anyone help im trying to gather info on the chuck wagon on holme lane. I cant remember the name of previous owners and names of business before the chuck wagon.Also anyone know why its never been developed after all these years??

I think it was a Chemist if I remember right

It was a small independant chemist shop run by a smartly dressed couple in spotless white coats. She had the appearance of someone with a permanent nasty smell under her nose. I don't know why because the shop reeked of Chanel Number 5.

As I said previously, as a kid I used to go in for Chrysodine (sp) dye to colour my father's fishing maggots from the fishing tackle shop next door. The expression on her face when I asked for it had to be seen to be believed. The chap used to dispense it in a tiny paper bag and if it was raining and the bag got wet, I used to have orange fingers for a month.

HD

Can anyone help im trying to gather info on the chuck wagon on holme lane. I cant remember the name of previous owners and names of business before the chuck wagon.Also anyone know why its never been developed after all these years??

I always assumed, in my suspicious mind, that it was burned down in an insurance fraud and the insurance refused to pay out.

Guest dingdong

HD

It was Wood's in the 50's and before Faldings Ormistons owned the paper shop opp the end of Holme Close

Guest dingdong

My mum was the cleaner at "The Ranch" (as she called it) and turned up for work one morning to find the place had burnt down. The view at the time was that the fire had been set deliberately.

I have many memories of the shop from the 1950's/early 60's when it was Boulter's Chemist - my mother's family home was 2 Haden Street, just across the road, so we went in there often. I can still remember the lovely smell in there - Woods of Windsor soaps etc - and I loved going in and looking at all they had on sale - not when young Mr Boulter was around though! I remember both young and old Messrs Boulter; young Mr Boulter was in charge of the shop and his father, retired by that time, was only there occasionally. I was very much in awe of young Mr Boulter, because he was very po-faced and quite stern. The shop, although it had living accommodation behind, was a "lock-up" and no-one actually lived on the premises. There was also an assistant called Barbara Carter. Barbara was lovely and had dark curly hair, which she wore piled up on the top of her head. When I was a little girl, I thought she was SO glamorous and sophisticated in her white overall and bright lipstick.

I remember one occasion when Barbara was frightened out of her wits and screamed so loudly that we heard her from across the road. She was going into the back of the shop and was shocked to see a snake curled up at the bottom of the stairs. My mother went across to deal with it and I believe the locals knew to whom it belonged, apparently it had escaped quite some time before.

The Cloughs, who had another chemist shop higher up Holme Lane next to the old St Polycarp's tin hut at the bottom of Loxley New Road, bought the shop when young Mr Boulter retired. I thought the Cloughs very posh, but liked them a lot, both Mr and Mrs Clough were lovely people. Mrs Clough had very dark hair, was always beautifully made up, wore elegant clothes and was very attractive. Mr Clough had very tightly curled, wavy hair, which I think he controlled with Brylcreem or the like, it always looked shiny.

There are loads of posts on Sheffield Forum about Hillsborough/Holme Lane and its shops.