Buses at Sheffield Bus Station

RichardB

Guest transit

Heres one for anyone who frequented the city centre pubs during the 70s & 80s , and had to catch the "last bus" home! I think the final departure was about 11.15pm.

watch.htm

Guest bus man

Video no longer availbale

The last bus was 2315 it was moved as a tempory measure in the 1950's due to the suez crissis and never put back

Driving the 2315 last bus's out of High Street made the F1 Start look quite tame as i remember it.

Guest tsavo

In the 60s the last bus was at 1.30am. I frequently caught this bus on the 52 route to Crookes.

Guest tsavo

I'm sure you're right, but we late finishers called it the last bus, before a long walk or a cab!

Guest transit

Heres one for anyone who frequented the city centre pubs during the 70s & 80s , and had to catch the "last bus" home! I think the final departure was about 11.15pm.

To watch this short clip-----go on you tube , print South Yorkshire bus (video section) and you will find the clip "mass last bus departure-Sheffield 1985 , half way down. Enjoy!!!! :o

To watch this short clip-----go on you tube , print South Yorkshire bus (video section) and you will find the clip "mass last bus departure-Sheffield 1985 , half way down. Enjoy!!!! :o

Excellent find transit but i still think the High Street departure was more exiting.

Guest davekowl

Worked on the buses in the late 60s and it was a case of hang on for dear life on the last bus. The driver would sit with the engine running , the clutch down and in gear waiting for the whistle. When it went it was of to a flier and anyone who was,nt on board had a long walk.

Guest carlie167

I enjoyed the clip on you tube of all the buses leaving Pond St.

It brought back memories of dashing down Flat St hoping to get the 41 before it left, I was always on the last minute!!

And it wasnt easy running after a few bevies in the "Mucky Duck" :P:P

All good fun though.

I was a bus driver for 40 years and I can confirm that at 11.14 pm in pond street bus station, we started our engines and sat there waiting for the inspectors whistle. The very second it was blown, clutch was out and accellerator down and it was OFF. It was great.

Guest littlemalc

The last bus before the night service started was certainly 11.15pm, we inspectors would make sure all buses had their engines running prior to "the whistle" nothing was worse than a non starter at that time, if we had such an event, the inspector had to stay untill a fitter came out to recover the offending vehicle, or get it going.

It made an already late finish later still, so you can imagine the comments when this happened.

If it happened facing on the down side of High St, or in Bridge St, the bus could often be started by letting it roll, and "bump starting it".

I had a big old Rover 100 car at the time, I can remember an 11.15pm Oughtibridge bus not starting one night, and I used the front bumper of the car against the rear engine cover of the Leyland to just getting it to roll to the top of Silverhead St, where it bump started OK to the satisfaction of both myself and the driver.

Try this link for the video....Link

.....another of the same batch with the older grey roofed livery.......

1279 Regent III. Earlier batch but normal height. W/E.

Guest transit

1279 Regent III. Earlier batch but normal hight. W/E.

...and Roe bodied . The other two are Weymann bodied.