Yorkshire Fairs

RichardB

http://www.nfa.dept.shef.ac.uk/history/sho.../yorkshire.html

Extract :

Since the Middle Ages fairs have developed in Yorkshire for different reasons. Some are Charter Fairs such as Hull which dates back to the reign of Edward I; others were inaugurated as a result of the Statute of Labours in the 14th Century following the catastrophe caused by the Black Death. As the Industrial Revolution made such gatherings obsolete, it was the entertainment side of the event which allowed their survival into the twentieth century.

Sheffield was one such fair established by charter during the reign of Edward I. The original charter was obtained by Thomas de Furnival from the King, on the 12th November 1296, and granted the right for an annual fair to be held during the three days of the Holy Trinity. By the eighteenth century the fair was still important in the lives of Sheffield folk. One function of the fair was to punish scolding women in public on the cuckstool; another was to give a husband the opportunity to sell his wife! In 1796 it was reported that John Lees, a steel burner, delivered his wife with an halter round the neck to the clerk of the fair and she was sold to Samuel Hall for 6d. It seems the practice survived until at least 1822.

J. Ling's Leyland lorry and Living Wagon photographed 17 July 1945.

http://hri.shef.ac.uk/db/fairground/gjpg.jsp?id=00150585

Wicker?

Picture Sheffield--s20605

Nos. 39/41, John Hutcinson (Pets) Ltd., pet store, 37, Peacock Restaurant, 35, Barclays Bank, 33, Wm. Timpson Ltd., boot repairer, 31, Henry Wood, jeweller, 25/31, G.A. Woodcock Ltd., shipping agents, Wicker and the junction with Stanley Street

Wicker?

Picture Sheffield--s20605

Nos. 39/41, John Hutcinson (Pets) Ltd., pet store, 37, Peacock Restaurant, 35, Barclays Bank, 33, Wm. Timpson Ltd., boot repairer, 31, Henry Wood, jeweller, 25/31, G.A. Woodcock Ltd., shipping agents, Wicker and the junction with Stanley Street

Not stopped posting long enough to actually have a look at 'em myself ... will be a few broken links, hopefully "The Crew" will fill in a few details ....

Not stopped posting long enough to actually have a look at 'em myself ... will be a few broken links, hopefully "The Crew" will fill in a few details ....

I never noticed you'd posted today lol