Sheffield Victoria Train Station

Sheffield History

During the lockdown i'm using up the time by reading once again my collection of books about Sheffield.

In the Pevsner Architectural guide to Sheffield by Ruth Harman and John Minnie, it tells me the Wicker arch is 72ft wide and the viaduct has forty archers and is 660 yards long(a fact i didn't know).  From where does the first arch start and the last one finnish?

15 hours ago, southside said:

During the lockdown i'm using up the time by reading once again my collection of books about Sheffield.

In the Pevsner Architectural guide to Sheffield by Ruth Harman and John Minnie, it tells me the Wicker arch is 72ft wide and the viaduct has forty archers and is 660 yards long(a fact i didn't know).  From where does the first arch start and the last one finnish?

And supposedly bales of wool were placed at the base of the arches to absorb the vibrations of the trains, true or false I can’t be sure.

This William Ibbitt panorama painted in 1855! looking over the City towards Victoria Station, clearly shows some of the railway arches and also those on the approach up to the Station. The painting is titled South East View of Sheffield from Park Hill, is that assumption correct? 

Looking Towards Victoria Station.jpg

That view would be from Sky Edge would it not?

Some the chimneys look a bit too tall to me. Especially the one on the far right edge, plus the one back of the embankment to the station. 

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 22.02.08.jpg

There are some interesting features when zoomed in

I'd love to know what that structure is on the right hand side that looks like some kind of giant fencing held up by struts?

I think that the structure you're looking at is the pit head tower for the Sheffield Colliery. Below is a higher resolution version of the picture. It was completed in 1855 and there was another picture "taken" from the same spot 20 years later - St Johns churchyard, Park Hill.

1251578139_SheffieldfromSouthEast_large.thumb.png.aad1f5df95de6b89b00e3f862ee75bd4.png

3 hours ago, Edmund said:

I think that the structure you're looking at is the pit head tower for the Sheffield Colliery. Below is a higher resolution version of the picture. It was completed in 1855 and there was another picture "taken" from the same spot 20 years later - St Johns churchyard, Park Hill.

1251578139_SheffieldfromSouthEast_large.thumb.png.aad1f5df95de6b89b00e3f862ee75bd4.png

Here's the now Edmund, Looking over towards Victoria Station from St John's from Bing Maps.

Victoria Station Bing.jpg

Victoria Station Bing 2.jpg

I've been looking at a blow up of the picture.  The structure has small wheels at the top and if you look over at the two stacks slightly right there is another gantry carrying a wheel.  I think Edmund is right, this is the top of the downcast shaft used for haulage.  Of the two stacks across the horse tramway the left hand one appears to be on its own, I suspect that was the upcast shaft and the gantry will be emergency access.  The right hand stack of the two has a building attached and that may be where the winding engine was housed.  At this date the normal way to ventilate a colliery was by having a furnace at the bottom of a shaft which heated the air and caused an updraught.  Not suprisingly this was called the "upcast" pit or shaft.  The let air into the colliery a downcast shaft was required.  Men and materials travelled through the downcast in the fresh air, not in the hot, poisonous gasses of the upcast.

I think there is something wrong with the colour of the 1855 picture. I suspect that the blue colour the artist as used has deteriorated over time, given it a sand colour. I can't really believe that the entire sky was the same colour as the ground. And the water in the canal is also sand. Where buildings really salmon pink? The fields over the other side might have been a brighter green originally. Those smoky tall chimneys might have stood out a bit more with a some blue sky around them too.   

So Sheffield might not have been as grotty as the painting suggest.

This was the list of exhibits at a one day event celebrating the Centenary of the Manchester, Ashton under Lyne and Sheffield Railway at Sheffield Victoria Station on 21st December 1945.  With the end of WW2 the LNER were already building new locomotives to restore their plans for electrification of the line and replace a very run-down fleet as a result of the war. I remember travelling during the war from Sheffield to Darlington by train changing at Doncaster to join a 17 coach long A4 hauled train which had to draw-up twice, it was packed with servicemen.

The only photo which might be relevant to the display at Sheffield is the one by A G Ellis in the livery it carried in December 1945. The other picture is presumably the 1946 re-paint in LNER green. Film was difficult to obtain in those days !

hpqscan0003.thumb.jpg.3032ea9f22953b8be29f6bc949440c00.jpg828106657_Scan_20200419(2).thumb.jpg.6a489491c5cb55c4f172826d3eaae0f0.jpg2131899135_Scan_20200419(3).thumb.jpg.df2bc047a7f6e4522eda0cbd0350bbc1.jpg

Thanks for the list...As an old "spotter"( in more ways than one)  I have to say in the early/mid 1950s I never saw a class L1 at Victoria although B1s were "ten a penny"...especially "Chamois" as were the CoCo electrics after the opening of the electrified line to Manchester.

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 09.09.25.jpg

Closing Day 5th January 1970, Engine Driver W. Hibberd of Rotherwood Electric Depot on Victoria Station Platform.

I wish I was a dab hand at creating 3d models
I'd definitely do the Victoria Train station

6 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

The first tutorial is 45 minutes long lol

13 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

I am working on that too.

Some of the things I have put together are on Pinterest

Sheffield Victoria Model and design

I was also able to get some plans of the building. But I can't post them as they were drafted by someone on a Model Railway forum and when I bought them from him there was a condition not to post them online. 

Some people find blender easy to use. However I find the software very hard, especially if you are use to Desk Top Publishing or 2d drawing software. Blender does things just the opposite to these software packages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, History dude said:

I am working on that too.

Some of the things I have put together are on Pinterest

Sheffield Victoria Model and design

I was also able to get some plans of the building. But I can't post them as they were drafted by someone on a Model Railway forum and when I bought them from him there was a condition not to post them online. 

Some people find blender easy to use. However I find the software very hard, especially if you are use to Desk Top Publishing or 2d drawing software. Blender does things just the opposite to these software packages.

Oh my word that looks like an amazing project!!

Good luck with it!

I am not a fan of the motor car so I don't have a clue to the makes of them in these pictures. So I hope you can tell me what they are?

The first is Victoria in 1967.

The second taken on the 30 December 1969 with more cars? Who owned XWG 734G?

Sheffield Victoria Station approach 18th November 1967.jpg

Victoria 30 12 1969.jpg