Sheffield Victoria Train Station

Sheffield History

My initial thoughts on the picture above with the bus on is early 60's but after 8th Oct 1960 as there are no tram tracks on blonk st or exchange st . I can not find a closure date for trams using exchange st anyone any ideas?

According to Graham H E Twidale, in A Nostalgic Look at Sheffield trams Since 1950 (Silver Link Publshing, 1995 ISBN 1 85794 040 7) Exchange Street was taken out of use on 26th October 1957, having been used only for Lane Top via Newhall Road cars since 1948 when the Rotherham route was converted to bus. As Blonk Street remained in use until the last day of the trams, this picture must be after October 1960 as you say, bus man.

Something which will be of interest can be found in Forward Magazine Issue 156, pages 27 to 33. It is all about the unveiling of the GCR War Memorial at Victoria Station. It is necessary to download the whole magazine which is a pdf file and is 4 MB in size.

http://www.gcrsociety.co.uk/Forward_156_web.pdf

Were the 1948 locomotive exchanges something to do with the formation of British Railways ? W/E.

Were the 1948 locomotive exchanges something to do with the formation of British Railways ? W/E.

At the formation of British Railways in 1948 it was decided that a "standard" design of locomotive was needed, therefore loco's from the original "Big 4" were trialled on different regions. A Standard design was then agreed.

See this entry on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Locomotive_Exchange_Trials

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...post&id=636

I have just come across a larger version of this picture in E M Johnson's book Scenes from the past 29 (part two), and note at the bottom a sign pointing to the Passenger Lift, fare one penny. I wonder how long the idea of paying for a lift lasted, how well used it was (given Yorkshire folks' reputation for thriftiness) and does anyone know of any other lifts (other than long ones such as cliff lifts) where payment was necessary for use?

Guest Gramps

I have just come across a larger version of this picture in E M Johnson's book Scenes from the past 29 (part two), and note at the bottom a sign pointing to the Passenger Lift, fare one penny. I wonder how long the idea of paying for a lift lasted, how well used it was (given Yorkshire folks' reputation for thriftiness) and does anyone know of any other lifts (other than long ones such as cliff lifts) where payment was necessary for use?

I used that lift a few times in the late 1940s but can't remember if my Dad had to pay or not. Probably not 'cos he was a Yorkshireman :)

Anyway there was a stairway at the side of the lift as I recall.

The photograph, taken c1894, looks along one of the platforms to include the whole of the station. Details shown in the picture include two large station clocks (both displaying the same time), a footbridge for crossing the lines, seating along the walls and various advertisements (i.e. Suttons Seeds, Muddiman Boot Makers and the station Refreshment Rooms). A shunting engine and carriages can be seen on the central line through the station.

http://railwayarchive.org.uk/stories/getob...um=2&maxp=4

Sadly, the station was to lose the impressive overall roof in later years.

Guest bus man

Sheffield Victoria as it is today looking from pitsmoor last Thursday 22nd October

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRA...nt=DSCN6621.flv

66086 far end ie grimsby end 66107 this end ie manchester end on the leaf buster train comming back from deepcar

PLEASE NOTE : this is a video

(Members who havent been to sheffiled for a bit the inner ring road is in the foreground)

Sheffield Victoria as it is today looking from pitsmoor last Thursday 22nd October

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRA...nt=DSCN6621.flv

66086 far end ie grimsby end 66107 this end ie manchester end on the leaf buster train comming back from deepcar

PLEASE NOTE : this is a video

(Members who havent been to sheffiled for a bit the inner ring road is in the foreground)

Great Video lol

All the years ive been in Sheffield and I think ive only seen 4 trains in my lifetime somewhere on the line between Sheffield Victoria and Deepcar

Guest bus man

Great Video lol

All the years ive been in Sheffield and I think ive only seen 4 trains in my lifetime somewhere on the line between Sheffield Victoria and Deepcar

Well heres your chance to see some more :

Its leaf buster time so therefar leafbuster trains will be working the stocksbridge line during the day :

leafbusters are trains which stop the tracks getting slippy due to leafs on the line they run sep - dec as required

Tues & Thurs Only

Sheffield Midland 1325 -1408 (arrives at sheff mid via barnsley)

Nunnery Mainline Jn 1410

woodburn Jn 1413- 1423

deepcar 1453 -1503

Woodburn Jn 1539 - 1602

Sheffield Mid 1602 - 1629 departs via meadowhall and barnsley to wakefield

Sunday Only

Sheffield Midland 1655 - 1706 (arrives at sheff mid via barnsley)

Nunnery Mainline Jn 1707

woodburn Jn 1710 - 1720

deepcar 1750 -1800

Woodburn Jn 1830 - 1840

Sheffield Mid 1847 - 1905 departs via meadowhall and barnsley to penistone

Please note these are departmental trains so therefore they are subject to change and are run as required

Please act responsibly keep the right side of the fence and do not trespass on the railway. The deepcar times are for the corus siding ie the network rail boundry

The times given are for the stocksbridge branch the rhtt (rail head treatment trains) are out and about over all local rail times at the moment

Well heres your chance to see some more :

Its leaf buster time so therefar leafbuster trains will be working the stocksbridge line during the day :

leafbusters are trains which stop the tracks getting slippy due to leafs on the line they run sep - dec as required

Tues & Thurs Only

Sheffield Midland 1325 -1408 (arrives at sheff mid via barnsley)

Nunnery Mainline Jn 1410

woodburn Jn 1413- 1423

deepcar 1453 -1503

Woodburn Jn 1539 - 1602

Sheffield Mid 1602 - 1629 departs via meadowhall and barnsley to wakefield

Sunday Only

Sheffield Midland 1655 - 1706 (arrives at sheff mid via barnsley)

Nunnery Mainline Jn 1707

woodburn Jn 1710 - 1720

deepcar 1750 -1800

Woodburn Jn 1830 - 1840

Sheffield Mid 1847 - 1905 departs via meadowhall and barnsley to penistone

Please note these are departmental trains so therefore they are subject to change and are run as required

Please act responsibly keep the right side of the fence and do not trespass on the railway. The deepcar times are for the corus siding ie the network rail boundry

The times given are for the stocksbridge branch the rhtt (rail head treatment trains) are out and about over all local rail times at the moment

Thanks for them lol

Tickets please!

Guest Sheffield Victoria

If anyone is on Facebook you might be interested in joining our page below

http://www.facebook.com/sheffieldvictoriastation

Guest RichardT

11.45 to Manchester at Sheffield Victoria 21st February 1968.

Sorry all, made a mess of uploading. I'll get me coat.....

Guest RichardT

11.45 to Manchester at Sheffield Victoria 21st February 1968.

Sorry all, made a mess of uploading. I'll get me coat.....

If anyone wants a higher res photo I have one

These shots were taken in the 50's.

The upper picture is B1 loco No 61193 hauling a passenger train going to Doncaster.

The lower picture sees J11 No 64445 and B1 N0 61124 heading in to the station. Both of these loco were based at Darnal Depot.

Note the small signals on the ground, which are shunting signals both on stop!

Guest petcharlie

As any body got any info on Grange Lane station which was located just across the bottom of Bellhouse Rd on Grange Lane Shiregreen. I remember as a child going on organised day trips to Blackpool from there in the fifties. The station was always packed with mums and dads and excited kids.including my self. I wouldbe about six or seven..

As any body got any info on Grange Lane station which was located just across the bottom of Bellhouse Rd on Grange Lane Shiregreen. I remember as a child going on organised day trips to Blackpool from there in the fifties. The station was always packed with mums and dads and excited kids.including my self. I wouldbe about six or seven..

Welcome to the Forum, petcharlie

We have a few details and images on Grange Lane

And some rather more modern images of a rather sorry looking building on the Derelict Places website.

Guest petcharlie

How sad to see the state of the place .When I recall how busy it was back then the memories come flooding back. I feel so sorry that nobody cared . They call it progress. I call it a waste.

Excellent. How many hours I wasted on the Vic and Midland.But oh! so much fun.

Attached are three photographs I took at the Great Central Railway Memorial September 2016.

The memorial was originally inside the booking hall at Sheffield Victoria station.When the Vic closed it was placed under the footpath arch of the Wicker arches, unnoticed by passers by.

A  War Memorial Committee was formed to rescue the memorial and place it as near as was possibly to its last position. Thanks to Hermann Beck the owner of the Sheffield Victoria hotel, Steve ***, Howard Turner, Ken Grainger and many others this was achieved.

The ceremony 25th September this year was to acknowledge the addition on the roll of honour of  Lance Corporal Thomas Norman Jackson VC of the Coldstream guards.

Ken Grainger researched all the names on the memorial, find surviving relatives and collection a priceless history of the fallen services men of the Great Central railway.

This information was published in Forward the Journal of the Great Central Railway Society.

In attendance on the 25th. The Lord Mayor of Sheffield,. The Mayor of Rotherham. The Mayor of Doncaster. and representatives of the Coldstream guards.

A relatives of Norman Jackson. Michael Jackson spoke of Normans job as a engine cleaner at Mexborough engine sheds, before he volunteered 5th December 1916 and joining the 1st Battalion the Coldstream Guards.

He was killed 27th September 1918 aged 21.

Mike Eggenton

DSC_6584.JPG

DSC_6650.JPG

DSC_6649.JPG