Wakefield Prison

Guest loopysue

Guest loopysue

Does anyone know of a site that I can research my ancestor that was in Wakefield prison in 1901? Is there such a site or are these kind of records closed? I have Got a name for this person but it seems that the surname was changed slightly between 1891 -1901. Could it just be a surname misunderstanding by the 'censer' or could it have been changed because of the family not wanting to be shamed?

Does anyone know of a site that I can research my ancestor that was in Wakefield prison in 1901? Is there such a site or are these kind of records closed? I have Got a name for this person but it seems that the surname was changed slightly between 1891 -1901. Could it just be a surname misunderstanding by the 'censer' or could it have been changed because of the family not wanting to be shamed?

Hi loopysue.

Found this to easy so it might be no good.

http://www.blacksheepancestors.com/uk/wakefield.shtml

Guest loopysue

Hi syrup.

Have looked at the link you sent....round and round and round in circles!

Most of the links go to the USA as usual, they are so forthcoming in giving up their criminals!

1901 is the year my ancestor is registered at Wakefield prison, this is the last census I have, I have no idea how long my ancestor was in jail for, I really wanted to know WHY he was jailed and for how long! As he ('Edmund Bramwell/Brannick') was only 12 in the previous census I have no idea as to what he was like before he was jailed. Was he a hoodie of 1901, did he warrant a ASBO? Was he a thief that got caught or was he just a down right nasty piece of work?

Hi syrup.

Have looked at the link you sent....round and round and round in circles!

Most of the links go to the USA as usual, they are so forthcoming in giving up their criminals!

1901 is the year my ancestor is registered at Wakefield prison, this is the last census I have, I have no idea how long my ancestor was in jail for, I really wanted to know WHY he was jailed and for how long! As he ('Edmund Bramwell/Brannick') was only 12 in the previous census I have no idea as to what he was like before he was jailed. Was he a hoodie of 1901, did he warrant a ASBO? Was he a thief that got caught or was he just a down right nasty piece of work?

Hi loopysue

Have you tried this site http://www.genealogytoday.com/guide/criminal-records.html