The Leadmill

Sheffield History

Anyone remember when this was I might have been still at school so it must have been about 1979/80 - I don't think the Leadmill had opened properly - I think this was some sort of fundraising night- wouldn't have got far on £2.00. Was it really promoted by Factory? Supported by UK Decay.

This is the gig your ticket is for Dunsbyowl

------------

The one with support by UK Decay was later on.

Signed poster.

The scans are from Martin Bedford's book UP AGAINST THE WALL

Leadmill Posters 1980-92

You can see his exhibition in October at Yorkshire Artspace on Brown Street.

Edit - Pictures courtesy of Martin Bedford

Guest Noise Heat Power

Further to the above, I can very highly recommend Martin Bedford's book. It's absolutely crammed with Leadmill posters from yesteryear; brings back a lot of memories - plus of course the poster artwork is superb.

I agree with the above commments of Vox and NHP on Martin's posterbook. Really good work. If you like the 60s US west coast posters of Freas, Kelly, and Family Dog etc you will also love these. I think Martin plans to do a reprint and a relaunch of the book sometime in the future.

Can't remember the first gig I saw but one that sticks out in the memory was Muse supported by Coldplay around 2000 - two bands on the verge of great things. Coldplay did an entirely acoustic set, had a great rap with the crowd and were very well received - I think they'd just released 'Yellow' as a single - Muse, on the other hand, came out, turned the volume up to eleven and barely said anything between numbers. The contrast in styles, approach and presentation couldn't have been more marked.

Remember finding a beer-soaked fiver on the way out - at least I think it was beer-soaked.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2020 at 09:17, RockinInTheFreeWorld said:

Can't remember the first gig I saw but one that sticks out in the memory was Muse supported by Coldplay around 2000 - two bands on the verge of great things. Coldplay did an entirely acoustic set, had a great rap with the crowd and were very well received - I think they'd just released 'Yellow' as a single - Muse, on the other hand, came out, turned the volume up to eleven and barely said anything between numbers. The contrast in styles, approach and presentation couldn't have been more marked.

Remember finding a beer-soaked fiver on the way out - at least I think it was beer-soaked.

Legendary gig that one. You are the first person I've heard from that actually went to it!

7 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Legendary gig that one. You are the first person I've heard from that actually went to it!

My good friend Richard Stacey was with me on this one and I think the tickets were courtesy of a rep who came to the mighty Record Collector. Awesome